14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 5:32 AM by Harm Millaard

Compatibility Issues?

YoMoma4real

Hello,

I recently tried out the trial for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5, as well as After Effects and Audition.

I was using footage shot with a 5D Mark II (DSLR footage) and exported into a computer on a .mov format.

I started editing on another computer which lacked efficiency so I moved those files later to my current

more powerful computer.

After doing so I hoped for a more smooth editing and faster rendering, but that did not happen, in fact it

sometimes went as slow as the former computer, mainly due to the effects, but still. Is there a reason

why some of the frequent shutdowns occur, and why rendering can be so slow?

My current computer:

CPU:           Intel i7 990x Extreme

RAM:          12GB

GPU:  GTX 580

SDD:          120GB

HDD:          1.5TB (SCRATCH, CACHE)

I have these RAM and CPU usage guages. The RAM rarely went over 40% and the CPU did not even reach 20%.

I was however using a Red Giant effect on some of the files, which I understand is very heavy.

Is this due to the heavy .mov files, in which case should I convert them, or is there something else I missed?

• 1. Re: Compatibility Issues?
          lasvideo Level 4

If you have applied a Red Giant effect, you MUST render the clips.

• 2. Re: Compatibility Issues?
            YoMoma4real Level 1

Yeah, it is just that it takes a lot of time to render, even the smallest clips.

And I do not know if that relates to the Red Giant Effect, or the size of the

source file. I just need faster and smoother workflow.

• 3. Re: Compatibility Issues?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

You have several problems:

1. Not enough memory. Increase it to 24 Gb
              2. Not enough disks. Get at least 4 more in two raid0 arrays or better.
              3. Stay away from QuiRcktime MOV formats.
              4. Try to find an alternative for RedGiant effects that does not take that long.
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Compatibility Issues?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

And I do not know if that relates to the Red Giant Effect

It does.  They're just notoriously slow to render.

• 5. Re: Compatibility Issues?
                  lasvideo Level 4

Red Giant sells LOTS of plugins. Which one are you specifically referring to?

• 6. Re: Compatibility Issues?
                    YoMoma4real Level 1

DeNoiser, first and foremost, and Starglow.

• 7. Re: Compatibility Issues?
                      YoMoma4real Level 1

This is really helpful, thank you!

But excuse me for asking, how will raid, and more disk help out, specifically?

• 8. Re: Compatibility Issues?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

You have one of the best CPU's available, a hex core with tremendous speed potential. But, as with all systems, the overall performance is dictated by the weakest component and that component causes the CPU to have to wait at regular intervals instead of going on at full speed.

5D material is a very difficult codec to edit. It requires a very powerful PC. It is expanded on-the-fly from its highly compressed state to an editable state and that means moving a lot of data all the time. Some .MOV formats are handled internally by PR and then they are using the 64 bit engine that PR has, but some .MOV formats are handled by the included QT Server module. QT by itself is a 32 bit application, so if the 5D material is handled by the QT Server engine, it defeats the 64 bit nature of PR. I do not know whether 5D material is handled internally (64 bit) or handed over to the 32 bit QT engine.

Regardless, when expanding on-the-fly, huge amounts of data are being pushed over the bus in the system. Limited memory can lead the system to use temp storage place as in the pagefile, another disk activity next to the Windows generated disk activities for housekeeping, maintaining logs, etc. This can be aggravated by background processes and services that are started when Windows starts, they all take memory and use CPU cycles, so they decrease resources available to PR. That is why tuning a system can give you better performance by simply turning off unneeded services and processes. See Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... which also applies to Win7.

More and faster disks are another helpful method to improve performance. Since disks can do only one thing at a time, either reading or writing but not both, it means that for each video track in use you need some disk activity to read the source file, and expand it. If you have multiple video tracks ideally you would have multiple disks, each containing the material from one track, since then the reading of source material can be done in parallel. In practice this is unworkable, and that is why people use raid arrays. By using a (r)aid0, which uses two (or more) disks to act as one disk to the OS it almost doubles the performance in comparison to a single disk, reducing a further bottleneck in system performance. See Adobe Forums: To RAID or not to RAID, that is the... and Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

There are more interesting FAQ articles in the Hardware forum under the Overview tab.

• 9. Re: Compatibility Issues?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

how will raid, and more disk help out, specifically?

They won't.  Not with those effects.  A better graphics card is about all you can do on this front, but you're already near the top of the game on this one, so there's really not a whole lot you can do.

• 10. Re: Compatibility Issues?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Common wisdom does not apply to you Jim. You have been obstinate on this topic since day 1 and still do not grasp the impact of multiple disks or raids. Numerous times I have explained to you why you are wrong but it appears you don't want to listen. Well, that is your problem, but the benchmarks clearly show you wrong. May I suggest you go back to a single disk on a Core2Duo system, using a $ 30 ATI video card and only 2 GB memory to prove your point?

• 11. Re: Compatibility Issues?
                              lasvideo Level 4

Yo-"how will raid, and more disk help out, specifically?"

It accelerates thru put of information thru the computer. To see this Goolge read and write speed for a raid array products using Areca controller cards (I use Maxx Digital) then search for the same info related to a single internal hard disk. Im sure Harm can elaborate on the more technical details of the process.

• 12. Re: Compatibility Issues?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Numerous times I have explained to you why you are wrong

Why don't you give it one more try, Harm.  Explain to be how a system that is bottlenecked at the GPU will significantly improve by improving the hard drives.

• 13. Re: Compatibility Issues?