9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2012 7:41 AM by the_wine_snob

Unable to play/load video in Elements trial

anonymous32

I just downloaded the trial edition of Elements 10 for the Mac, and am having a problem viewing the video. I've searched the forum and tried all the suggestions I've seen (permissions, root user, reboot, reinstall, etc.), but nothing seems to work. There are two basic problems I'm seeing:

1. After loading a video file, either from an existing project downloaded from lynda.com or a video file on my Mac, double-clicking a clip and clicking the "Play" button does not play the video. The button changes from the play to pause icon, but nothing happens. Dragging the scroll bar or holding down the right arrow key advances the video, but it will not play by itself. Strangely, any audio files (also from lynda.com) do not play either.
      2. When trying to import from an older DV camcorder (JVC GR-D70U), the tape will play and can be controlled by Elements, and I can see video on the camcorder screen, but no video is shown in the Elements capture screen nor is any video captured. When I stop the capture, I'm told that no frames were captured.

All the above steps work fine with iMovie (different lynda.com tutorial files, of course), and I can import, play, and do most anything that iMovie allows. Having run into the limitations of iMovie I really would like to move up a step or two; hence my trying out Premiere Elements 10. So far it's been a complete bust since it doesn't appear to allow me to play video, no matter what I try. It's such a basic problem that there must be one underlying reason that no video capture or playback works, but after playing with it for the past two days and googling everything I can find on the subject, I'm about to give up.

The system is a Mac Pro (3,1), dual quad-core 2.8 GHz Xeons, 16 GB of memory, OS 10.6.8, with an NVidia GeForce 8800GT video card and two Dell 24 inch monitors. Not the latest and greatest, but it should be more than adequate for my simple needs (and I'm hoping that the video card is OK). Since things run fine with iMovie my assumption is that the video file formats are OK, especially since a simple import from a DV camcorder works on iMovie but not Elements 10. I've seen references that allude to the fact that some video formats don't work on the trial edition but will play OK if you buy the complete package, but unless there's a money-back guarantee, that seems a bit extreme.

So, any ideas or additional things that I might try? As I said, it's probably one basic thing that is causing the video problems, but I've tried everything I can think of and have been able to find on the web/forums with no luck at all. Any suggestions, advice, or recommendations that anyone might be able to give woudl be greatly appreciated.

- Ken

• 1. Re: Unable to play/load video in Elements trial
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for a very nicely detailed post - wish that would happen more often.

Now, two questions please, what are the full specs. of those Source Files, and what is your Project's Preset?

In # 1, it sounds like the Source Monitor (looks almost like the Program Monitor) is not playing the Lynda.com files. That is surprising, as the Source Monitor is but a simple player (unlike the Program Monitor, which is showing the material on the Timeline, ready to be edited), and usually will have no problems playing a supported file. If you drag one of those Clips to the Timeline, can it play from there in the Program Monitor?

For # 2, what are the Capture settings in Edit>Preferences (think its there, and has not been moved to the Project area)?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Unable to play/load video in Elements trial
            anonymous32 Level 1

Thanks for the extrememly quick response!

I'm not sure what the file specs are - is there a quick way to find out withj some program? They're a mix of avi (my files, imported from an old analog camcorder via a Canopus ADVC-100 analog to digital converter), mp4 files (from lynda.com), and dv files (iMovie import from the JVC camcorder). All exhibit the same problem.

To your questions:

1. Same issue after dragging the mp4 clip from the Project pane to the timeline and then trying to play it. Button changes to"pause", but the clip in the timeline does not play.
            2. Capture settings preference shows "Abort capture on dropped frames" is not checked, "Report dropped frames IS checked", and "Use device control timecodes" is not checked. Not really much there. If I look at the Device Control preference: "Devices" is set to DV/HDVDevice control, "Preroll" is 2 seconds, and "Timecode offset" is set to 0 frames.

All preferences are at the default value - I didn't change anything.

- Ken

• 3. Re: Unable to play/load video in Elements trial
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/

• 4. Re: Unable to play/load video in Elements trial
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

John T, has furnished some useful links, and you should be able to find a utility to "peek inside" the wrappers of those files. Now, most of the utilities listed are PC-centric, but even Apple's QuickTime has a "properties" function. QT Pro expands that properties utility even more. On the PC, the keystroke for QT Pro is Ctrl+J, so I will guess that it would be Cmd+J on the Mac (I am a PC-only guy, hence the guess).

When a PC-user has issues with MP4 files, it is usually either a lack of, or an older version of QT, but on a Mac, yours should be new and just fine. I think that QT is updated on the Mac, when the OS gets updated, but you might want to check that out, and update QT, just in case it is a few versions old.

Now, AVI's can be an issue on Mac's. Were those analog tapes Captured on a Mac, or on a PC? The reason that I ask is that I would have expected the format to be MOV with the DV CODEC. However, I really do not know the ins & outs of Mac's, so may be well off-base there?

As for Device Control, if you are using an A-D bridge to digitize and Capture the analog material, you will NOT have Device Control, as the analog player/camera will only have the signal composite cables Out, and the only control will be via say the remote on the analog player, and then the mouse on your Capture program. Device Control is only useful when one is doing a Capture from camera, hooked up to FireWire (two-way communication).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Unable to play/load video in Elements trial
                  anonymous32 Level 1

Bill & John,

Thanks for the pointers and info - very helpful; and informativel. My apologies for missing the file info via QuickTime - I should have figured that out by myself. In any case, I'll concentrate on the lynda.com files. I suspect that since this is probably a single problem affecting everything, figuring that issue out will solve the other file problems as well.

Looking at at of the lynda.com videos with MediaInfo (thanks, John), I get the following screen shot (hope this comes through OK):

Looking at the same file with QuickTime Player and doing a Get Info:

The following is the output from Massanti ($2.99? This is starting to get expensive... ):

====

* * * Media Inspector 0.7.443 file analysis report.

* * * Media Inspector is ©2011 by Diego Massanti - http://mediainfo.massanti.com

* * * MediaInfoLib by Jerome Martinez - http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

Created on: Jan 14, 2012 1:38:13 PM MST

Report for file: alexandria-1.mp4

General / Container Stream #1

Total Video Streams for this File.................1

Total Audio Streams for this File.................1

Video Codecs Used.................................AVC

Audio Codecs Used.................................AAC LC

File Format.......................................MPEG-4

Play Time.........................................15s 616ms

Total File Size...................................15.5 MiB

Total Stream BitRate..............................8 352 Kbps

Video Stream #1

Codec (Human Name)................................AVC

Codec (FourCC)....................................avc1

Codec Profile.....................................High@L3.1

Frame Width.......................................720 pixels

Frame Height......................................480 pixels

Frame Rate........................................29.970 fps

Total Frames......................................467

Display Aspect Ratio..............................16:9

Video Standard....................................NTSC

Scan Type.........................................Interlaced

Scan Order........................................BFF

Color Space.......................................YUV

Codec Settings (Summary)..........................CABAC / 3 Ref Frames

QF (like Gordian Knot)............................0.789

Codec Settings (CABAC)............................Yes

Codec Settings (Reference Frames).................3

Video Stream Length...............................15s 582ms

Video Stream BitRate..............................8 170 Kbps

Video Stream BitRate Mode.........................VBR

Bit Depth.........................................8 bits

Video Stream Size.................................15.2 MiB (98%)

Video Stream Language.............................English

Date of Original Encoding.........................UTC 2010-09-13 22:25:07

Color Primaries...................................BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Transfer Characteristics..........................BT.601-6 525, BT.601-6 625, BT.1358 525, BT.1358 625, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Matrix Coefficients...............................BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio Stream #1

Codec.............................................AAC

Codec (FourCC)....................................40

Audio Stream Length...............................15s 616ms

Audio Stream BitRate..............................192 Kbps

Audio Stream BitRate Mode.........................VBR

Number of Audio Channels..........................2

Audio Channel's Positions.........................Front: L R

Sampling Rate.....................................48.0 KHz

Audio Stream Size.................................361 KiB (2%)

Audio Stream Language.............................English

Date of Original Encoding.........................UTC 2010-09-13 22:25:07

====

For Bill's question about importing, I have numerous imported videos. A lot were translated from very old 8mm family tapes were done commercially. Others were imported via the Canpous ADVC 100, which is a hardware device that accepts S-VHS and other inputs from a video source and outputs digital video. Basically a way to grab and convert old video formats to a computer. All were done on a Mac, and all play very well via QuickTime.

Any ideas from the above? And as always, I'm sure that this is some sort of setup/hardware/configuration problem on my part that is affecting all the videos, since I find it hard to believe that the video files themselves are at fault, especially since I took all the defaults on installation.

I'll try installing on a MacBook Pro to see if the problem persists and let you know how that goes.

- Ken

• 6. Re: Unable to play/load video in Elements trial
                    anonymous32 Level 1

I just installed the trial vesion on a MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Core Duo, 3 GB memory) with the project loaded over a WiFi network. In spite of the lower end CPU and semi-slow speed access to the file, it was able to play the clips OK, so the problem appears to be something in the Mac Pro configuration (the fact that it even runs acceptably well on the MacBook is pretty impressive).

I'm not quite sure how to proceed from here, but it does appear to be a system specific issue, so I'll poke around and see if I can come up with any differences that might account for this. All I need to do is find and fix the problembefire the 30 day trial expires...

- Ken

• 7. Re: Unable to play/load video in Elements trial
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

Thank you for reporting the results of your test.

For issues on that MacPro, I cannot be of any help, but I do know that our MOD, Steve Grisetti, runs PrE on at least one Mac, so he might have ideas.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Unable to play/load video in Elements trial
                        anonymous32 Level 1

Just to close this thread out, I finally found the culprit. I had a small Mac utility called "Hear" installed, which is basically a dynamic audio equalizer for Mac audio. Very nice app, giving you multiple pre-configured settings for all audio types, as well as for speakers vs. headphones. Even though it purportedly is for audio only, it seems to prevent both video and audio playback under Premiere Elements. There wasn't a problem with iMovie, so my guess is that Adobe is using APIs in the audio driver on Mac OSX that Hear modified or doesn't support, effectively disabling the Elements audio/video. I did a few uninstalls and reinstalls to verify the problem, and with Hear not installed, everything works nicely.

Thanks to this forum for the quick response and suggestions - very impressive.

- Ken

• 9. Re: Unable to play/load video in Elements trial
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting, and thanks for reporting the cause. I am totally unfamiliar with Hear, but will catalog that, should the same issues appear in another's computer.

With some Audio programs, I know that VST's can prevent some Adobe programs from loading, but have not read of API rerouting, etc.

Appreciated, and good luck,

Hunt