2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 12:21 AM by John Hawkinson

interactive Pen

aelbaz Level 1

Hi all.

I now make a DVD with interactive publications with InDesign and Acrobat for a client as follows:

1. I make the layout in InDesign with the interactive part.

2. Generating the PDF file and add the rest of interactivity.

3. I make an ISO image to make a hybrid DVD (Mac and PC).

4. From a Mac with Toast application, generate the DVD platform.

This client is now asking me to do the same for a pen, but reserving a storage portion for reading and writing user pendrive.

The part of reading and writing would be to add and delete files, but part of the application would read only.

I wonder if this is possible and how it might.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English is not my native language.

• 1. Re: interactive Pen
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I was hoping a regular Mac user would happen along and take a stab at this.

As far as I know flash drives should work cross-platform, so you'll only need one partition for Mac and PC (I said "should" becasue some versions of OS X apparently refuse to read them at all from time to time -- my daghter ran into this on Tiger, but it has cleared itself up, apparently, so I don't know what the actual cause was, just that it wasn't isolated). I don't think, though, that there is any way to effectively make a partition read-only on a flash drive, nor have I ever actually tried to partition one, though I don't have any reason to believe it can't be done. Optical media is read only by its nature, but flash drives are writeable, and a user would be able to change the properties themselves.

• 2. Re: interactive Pen
            John Hawkinson Level 5

There are a couple of different ways to format flash drives. I think biggest disticntion is they are permitted to not have a partition table, though they can have one (and can therefore have multiple partitions). I've seen some devices behave differently (i.e. not work) depending on whether the drive was 1-partition (with a partition table) or no partition table. (I can't remember which one worked and which didn't).

As for read-only, well, there are probably tricks, and it's a question of how hard an attacker would have to try to succeed...

1 person found this helpful