5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 12:29 PM by Innovatology

platform question

birnerseff Level 2

Nowadays, tablets seem to get better cpus (tegra2) and more memory. Flex tools, written in java, are meant to run anywhere.

Would it be feasible to install flex on a tablet? Is there a standalone (debug or normal) player running on android?

• 1. Re: platform question
          Innovatology Level 3

Flex has been available on mobile devices for quite a while. You can use Flash Builder 4.6 with Flex 4.6 to target  Android, IOS and PlayBook. It uses the Adobe AIR runtime, which can be embedded in the app or installed manually (Android), compiled into the app  (IOS) or built into the device (PlayBook).

BTW: Flex apps are written with ActionScript, not Java, but can often talk to server-side Java.

• 2. Re: platform question
            birnerseff Level 2

Hi,

As I am trying to decide between a tablet and similar size netbook, I was actually looking into installing a minimal development system (flex sdk, plain text editor, some sort of flash player).

• 3. Re: platform question
              Innovatology Level 3

There is no MXML or AS3 compiler for Android as far as I know. Only Windows, Mac and Linux. You could use a Windows 7 tablet...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: platform question
                birnerseff Level 2

unfortunately this is not what I hoped to hear....

I was sort of fearing that there was no debug player, but the compilers come as java archives

• 5. Re: platform question
                  Innovatology Level 3

The MXML compiler JAR is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\sdks\4.6.0\lib, but I have no idea whether it can be run on Android...

For anything more than "trace" output you'll want a proper debugger. Regular Flash/Flex apps can be debugged with the standard AIR runtime on Android, but AFAIK you'll need a debugger (Flash Builder) for it to connect to.