2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 7:45 AM by Jeffrey_Smith

    Text control boxes in PDF's created in InDesign

    4tun8mom

      Not sure if this was the best place to post this, but I'm new to using InDesign and not sure who to ask.  Here is my dilemma:

       

      I have created an exercise book in Word.  There are various sections, some have questions while others are more of a journal.  I have added a Rich text Content control box which will allow users to type in their answers or add daily content to the journal and the boxes expand as long as they are inserting text.  The section breaks keep the headers and footers in the correct placement.  This also allows them to print the document with all of their answers showing.

       

      Now, the problem is that, while the client likes this, they don't like that the headers and footers are grayed out and the colors are not as vibrant in Word as the program part I created and saved as a PDF.  They also don't like that if we keep this as a Word document, all the text is editable. 

       

      So my question is, can I create a PDF that has the same features with the expandable text control boxes.  If I can, would you recommend InDesign to do this?

        • 1. Re: Text control boxes in PDF's created in InDesign
          Stix Hart Level 5

          4tun8mom wrote:

           

          Now, the problem is that, while the client likes this, they don't like that the headers and footers are grayed out and the colors are not as vibrant in Word as the program part I created and saved as a PDF.

           

          They're being a bit impractical in their complaints, in fact they remind me of my Dad!  The final product is still fine.

           

           

          4tun8mom wrote:

           

          They also don't like that if we keep this as a Word document, all the text is editable.

           

          That's fair enough, the solution would be to make the text in the header and footer an image instead.

           

           

          4tun8mom wrote:

           

          So my question is, can I create a PDF that has the same features with the expandable text control boxes.  If I can, would you recommend InDesign to do this?

           

          No you can't.  I'm pretty sure you can't create a PDF with expandable boxes and I'm very sure that you can't create a PDF that will add pages with headers and footrs.  However you can create a PDF with basic fillable text boxes, they're called forms and you need Acrobat as well to do it, google it and you'll find plenty of info.

          • 2. Re: Text control boxes in PDF's created in InDesign
            Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

            they don't like that the headers and footers are grayed out and the colors are not as vibrant in Word

            In Word, headers and footers and even watermarks will always have a transparent effect. Instead of placing art on the header and footer, you could format background with fill effects and select a picture, this will not be grayed out (transparent). The background picture would need to be created as the full size of document.