13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2012 12:18 AM by acresofgreen

How do I do this effect?

u2bonoman

I'm new to photoshop, and would love to be able to pull off this effect of basically looking outward to a business card. What is the simplest way of doing this?

Business card effect.jpg

• 1. Re: How do I do this effect?
          u2bonoman Level 1

45 views.... does ANYONE know how to do this effect?

• 2. Re: How do I do this effect?
            Level 4

Not sure about others, but I have no idea what "effect" you're referencing here.

What I see is a background with two layers, one for each card.

Also, not a clue as to what version of Photoshop you have at your disposal, what platform (Macintosh or Windows) you are on, nothing.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 3. Re: How do I do this effect?
              Curt Y Level 7

Yes I agree with Tai.  It just looks like a layer for each image and the are moved around to get the effect wanted.

THe larger image is made darker and slipped under the other layers.

Read up on using multiple layers.

• 4. Re: How do I do this effect?
                u2bonoman Level 1

Sorry, Photoshop CS5 and I am on Mac Lion.

The effect is exactly what you see. Someone made a business card and then made the photo so you could look out to the business card. How would I pull off suck a trick?

• 5. Re: How do I do this effect?
                  Level 7

It's just 2 pictures of business cards stuck on top of a picture of another card.

There is no "effect" or "trick" involved. Just 2 layers on top of a background.

And what does "look out to the business card" mean?

• 6. Re: How do I do this effect?
                    pf22 Level 2

There's no "trick" U2, this is one of the most basic things you can do in Photoshop, also one of the most powerful.

The image is made up of three elements, a background, and then two additional layers, one for each "card."

You need to learn about "Layers;" basically a layer can be moved or edited independantly of any other layer, or the background.

Here's a sample image, with some of the layers that go to make it up.

Colossus sample.jpg Colossus Layers.JPG

Good luck!

Paul

• 7. Re: How do I do this effect?
                      u2bonoman Level 1

You are looking 'out' into the photo seeing the business cards. Maybe that isn't describing it perfectly, but still... So how do you do 2 layers on top of a background? If I make a business card, how do I then make my photo look like this?

• 8. Re: How do I do this effect?
                        pf22 Level 2

U2, you NEED to LEARN about "Layers." I've just Googled "Photoshop Layers" and got over 22 MILLION hits, but to save you the trouble, try this link; it looks like a very good place to start.

Good luck

Paul

• 9. Re: How do I do this effect?
                          Level 4

u2bonoman,

Sorry, but you are still doing a very poor job of explaining yourself.

What is clear, though, is that you need someone to teach you Photoshop from the ground up, and that far exceeds the scope of this forum.

Photoshop is a professional-level application that makes no apologies for its long and steep learning curve.

You could start here:

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Classroom in a Book

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 10. Re: How do I do this effect?
                            u2bonoman Level 1

Wow. How am I doing a poor job explaining when it's all RIGHT THERE in the photo? Obviously you photoshop GENIUSES know what you're seeing right, so you must know how it is achieved!? You would think I just dropped a bomb on this site. Yes I don't know photoshop very well, and I'm trying to learn it. Hence why I'm seeking knowledge from the Adobe forum. Geez.

• 11. Re: How do I do this effect?
                              pf22 Level 2

Yes, U2, there are a LOT of Photoshop "Geniuses" on this board, although I'm not one of them by a long shot. I know what I need to know to get the results I want, and when I need to do something new, well, I find a resource and learn it.

To create the image you referenced you need to learn about "Layers," one of the most fundamental and powerful tools in the Photoshop arsenal; if you don't educate yourself to this topic you're going to find it very hard to do anything much with your very expensive purchase.

I gave you a specific link to start learning the subject, Tai gave you a link to a very good overall primer, you may also want to try Lynda.com's Photoshop tutorials, another excellent resource.

And yes, I'm sorry to say you're doing an appalling job of expressing yourself; "You are looking 'out' into the photo seeing the business cards." No matter how many times I read that sentence it simply makes no sense to me whatsoever. As has been said before, it's two layers, separate images, on a background, both rotated off the horizontal by the same amount so they sit at an angle. The subject of "Layers" is where you need to start.

Good luck

Paul

• 12. Re: How do I do this effect?
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

I'd guess you're sensing a 3D feeling based on your explanation.  Business card layers with some layer effects such as bevel, possibly some subtle drop shadow, subtle shading to give drama to the light...  All basic Photoshop functions to fool the eye/brain into believing it's a 3D scene.  The real magic here is not in using Photoshop, but in the artistic mind of the designer.

-Noel

• 13. Re: How do I do this effect?
                                  acresofgreen Level 4

u2bonoman wrote:

Wow. How am I doing a poor job explaining when it's all RIGHT THERE in the photo? Obviously you photoshop GENIUSES know what you're seeing right, so you must know how it is achieved!? You would think I just dropped a bomb on this site. Yes I don't know photoshop very well, and I'm trying to learn it. Hence why I'm seeking knowledge from the Adobe forum. Geez.

I'm sorry that you are feeling such frustration, but I admit I had no idea what effect you were trying to achieve from your first explanation (and I'm not a photoshop genius ).  It wasn't until Noel's post that I think I finally understand.  People aren't trying to be mean or unfriendly to you, and several actually gave you the basic solution you need (create three layers, each with an image of the business card and re-size them so that the card on the bottom layer fills the background). 

In order to carry out these instructions, you have to know what a layer is and how to use tools to re-size, move and rotate images, as well as use adjustments and layer styles.

If you want to use Photoshop for anything at all, you need to learn those basic tools because teaching beginners how to use Photoshop is out of the scope of any user forum.   If in the course of your learning, you have any specific questions or problems, people will be here to help you.

Good luck!