10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 6:38 AM by nealeh

Does this software EVER work?

ryderm Level 1

I have tried making several DVD's and can only get them to work about an 8th of a time.  I am SO sorry I spent the money on this program. 

• 1. Re: Does this software EVER work?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

For most users, it works perfectly.

What are the exact problems that you are having?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Does this software EVER work?
            JMBinCO

From experience, I can say this is most likely more a function of your burner and the brand of DVDs vs. PE. Are you using some latest hw & discs?

• 3. Re: Does this software EVER work?
              ryderm Level 1

I have no problems making my movie and getting the Disc menus built.   Then I try to burn to DVD and after 40 minutes or so I either get a blue screen or the computer turns completely off.  I am using Memorex DVD-R 16x tonight, but have used other brands as well.

• 4. Re: Does this software EVER work?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I am using Memorex DVD-R 16x

Unfortunately, that is about the worst brand to use. See this ARTICLE for more info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Does this software EVER work?
                  ryderm Level 1

Thanks for the article and thanks for your replies.  I'm still convinced its not the discs because I tried saving the movie as an MPEG to the hard drive and again I got a blue screen and the computer shut down.

Let me ask this...  if my movie is 2 1/2 hours long will the program compress the file to fit on a DVD?  I'm also wondering if my computer may be overheating.  I'm using a Dell laptop and its pretty warm while doing these tasks.

• 6. Re: Does this software EVER work?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

A BSOD is a very serious issue, and I would address that, before looking at other problems. This ARTICLE goes into much more detail, and also has links to some utilities, that might help you track down the issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Does this software EVER work?
                      nealeh Level 5

It should be fine on a dual-layer disk. 2½ hours on a single layer will be of poor quality.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Does this software EVER work?
                        ryderm Level 1

Okay, I got frustrated and downloaded Corel's VideoStudio Pro x4, trasnferred the files over, and Whalah, I now have a burned disc.

I really like Adobe premier better but if it's not going to work what does a guy do?  I will still finish reading the articles and do appreciate the replys but am loosing faith in Adobe very quickly.

• 9. Re: Does this software EVER work?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Software is, but a tool. At the end of the day, it is about what works for you. If you have another program, no one could falult you for using it, to complete the tasks.

Though I have PrE, Magix MovieEdit Pro, CyberLink PowerDirector, and several other NLE programs, I almost always use PrPro and Adobe Encore for my Projects. They just work best for me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Does this software EVER work?
                            nealeh Level 5

As Bill says, each piece of software is a tool and you use each for their best purpose. For example in addition to PRE (and these are just the main tools - like Bill I have many more) I have:

Magix Movies on DVD

I use this to split long clips into individual scenes. Using batch export each scene can be exported (WITHOUT re-rendering) to a separate DV file in one operation. In PRE you must do one export at a time using the WAB.

Sony DVD Architect Studio

I use this instead of PRE for DVD Authoring. It's highly recommended by Steve Grisetti and the folks at Muvipix - and I agree.

Magix Audio Cleaning Lab

Just with its default automated settings this product can make astonishing improvements to audio quality.

Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 Ultimate

I've only bought this in the New Year sales so haven't done too much with it. Although burdened with one of the daftest software product names I've come across I bought it because the Ultimate version includes the full, current, plug-in version of proDad Mercalli v2 image stabiliser. In the few tests I've done with it the results are not only amazing but are achieved so quickly. Inevitably there is some softening of the image but I much prefer that to the gale force 10 results of my handheld camera work. Amazon had it for £20 ($31) compared to $149 to just buy the plug-in.

Aimsersoft Video Converter Pro

While I have many freeware format conversion products I liked the free version of this one so much I bought the full version.

In summary, don't get hung up about expecting a single piece of software to do absolutely everything the best. Build your workflow around what you prefer. You say 'I really like Adobe premier better' then do your video in PRE then export as DV-AVI (or look at Bill's instructions on using lossless codecs) and complete the authoring and burning in VSXPX4.

It doesn't matter how you get there - use what you like most to complete your project.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children