7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 1:35 AM by Eugene Tyson

Charts and Graphs help

Andrea Russell Level 1

Hello. I have never built any charts and graphs in indesign only illustrator. Does anyone know of a good tutorial to help me figure that out? I have about 14 of the following (attatched) to create so I need to do it the best/easiest way. I also have bar graphs to create. Any suggestions/help would be great. thanks

Screen shot 2012-01-14 at 9.10.11 PM.pngScreen shot 2012-01-14 at 9.14.08 PM.png

• 1. Re: Charts and Graphs help
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Hello. I have never built any charts and graphs in indesign only illustrator. Does anyone know of a good tutorial to help me figure that out?

That's unlikely to change -- InDesign doesn't have a graph tool.

One builds the chart or graph in another tool (such as Illustrator), and then places it in InDesign (typically as a PDF).

• 2. Re: Charts and Graphs help
            Stix Hart Level 5

InDesign doesn't have any built in graphing capabilities, to do those in InDesign you'd have to create them by hand, i.e. draw a rectangle etc.

But assuming you can do them in Illustrator (I don't know anything about it) you're far better off just to do them there and place the Illustrator document into InDesign.  Use Ctrl(CMD) + D, or drag and drop from an explorer or finder window.

• 3. Re: Charts and Graphs help
              Andrea Russell Level 1

Wow really. I would think there would be a way these days to do all of that in indesign. I built some of the charts in illustrator but I can't find any program that works for the 2 I am showing here. Oh well I will just get to work doing it the old fashioned way.

• 4. Re: Charts and Graphs help
                Stix Hart Level 5

I can't find it now but over at www.indesignsecrets.com in one of his "This Week in InDesign Articles" David Blatner had a link to an american government website for kids that had quite impressive graphig tools which you could output as a vector PDF.

• 5. Re: Charts and Graphs help
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

I built some of the charts in illustrator but I can't find any program that works for the 2 I am showing here. Oh well I will just get to work doing it the old fashioned way.

What about these charts are you having trouble with in Illustrator? [really, this is a question for the Illustrator forum, but I am curious]

• 6. Re: Charts and Graphs help
                    afsdfasg Level 2

A quick and dirty option, if the graphs are in Excel, is to copy and paste the graph (raster), or export to pdf and then place that into InD (vector).

Illustrator obviously the quality choice though... unless you want to go hardcore with a VDP solution like XMPie uChart.

• 7. Re: Charts and Graphs help
                      Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Andrea Russell wrote:

Oh well I will just get to work doing it the old fashioned way.

It's the current way. Nothing old fashioned about it.