9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2015 10:52 AM by SteveG(AudioMasters) RSS

Bouncing down to new track - mono!!

CrispJB

Hi - I'm using CS5.5 for Mac  and I want to be able to bounce edited, joined, multi-clips to new tracks in mono. The original tracks are all mono - but the bouncing function always produces a new track in stereo. Is there a setting somewhere that I've missed (I have looked exhaustively).

As a workaround I have to use the 'convert sample' function in Edit view to create a mono track from the newly bounced stereo track and then add it back in to Multitrack view. This is extremely tedious in a complicated editing project.

Anyone else come across this?

Cheers

CrispJB

• 1. Re: Bouncing down to new track - mono!!
          SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

CrispJB wrote:

Anyone else come across this?

No, because we know how to do mono mixdowns!

File>Export>Multitrack Mixdown, and then from the selection box you will be presented with, you can choose just about everything about the export format - including mono.

• 2. Re: Bouncing down to new track - mono!!
            CrispJB Community Member

Hi - thanks for the offer of help - though the patronising sarcasm is somewhat gratuitous.

Are you using a Mac? There's only an option to mixdown an 'entire session' via the route you suggest - which of course I'd tried anyway. I want to be able to bounce individual tracks in (multitrack view) to mono.

• 3. Re: Bouncing down to new track - mono!!

CrispJB wrote:

Hi - thanks for the offer of help - though the patronising sarcasm is somewhat gratuitous.

What planet are you living on? Oh, I get it - Planet Mac...

Are you using a Mac? There's only an option to mixdown an 'entire session' via the route you suggest - which of course I'd tried anyway. I want to be able to bounce individual tracks in (multitrack view) to mono.

You didn't say that you'd already tried it, otherwise I wouldn't have very sarcastically suggested it in such a patronising way. So in an even more sarcastic and patronising way, I'm going to suggest that you hit the solo button on the track you want to export as mono before you do it. Although I don't really know why I'm bothering...

• 4. Re: Bouncing down to new track - mono!!
                CrispJB Community Member

Thanks - well you probably are bothering because somewhere in your austere psyche there's a hint of an idea that helping folk is more rewarding than being sour - though I'm not sure that's clicked yet.

Talking of clicking - hitting the solo button before bouncing doesn't work either.

I think I was pretty clear in my original post that I am using a Mac - just as you were making it clear to me that "we know how to do mono mixdowns!". Apparently not. :-)

• 5. Re: Bouncing down to new track - mono!!

Talking of clicking - hitting the solo button before bouncing doesn't work either.

I think I was pretty clear in my original post that I am using a Mac - just as you were making it clear to me that "we know how to do mono mixdowns!". Apparently not. :-)

Well, it works fine here - and we do know how to do them. Just to make sure, I even tried it again. Whether you're using a Mac or not is irrelevant (which is why I didn't mention it) - the software works the same on both platforms from this POV. You might want to check that the Solo button is in 'exclusive' mode though - that might make a difference. And no, I don't think that this is its default mode; you might have to change it.

And I'm not being 'sour', or any of the other things you've suggested. You're just reading that wrong.

• 6. Re: Bouncing down to new track - mono!!
                    CrispJB Community Member

Ok - thanks - I believe you.

I'm afraid that doesn't work either (regardless of which mode solo is set to in Preferences).

• 7. Re: Bouncing down to new track - mono!!

So, if in a session you solo one track, so that material in other tracks is muted, and export the mixdown like that in mono, what do you get?

• 8. Re: Bouncing down to new track - mono!!
                        myscreennameis:RobbieS Community Member

@CrispJB : Did anyone get an answer to this??

ignor SteveG, does not understand the question.

In CS3 I could select clips on a track and bound them to MONO:

Edit>Bounce to New Track>Selected Audio Clips (Mono)

I want to do the same in CS6:

Currently I have to use CS3 'Loop while recording' so I'm thinking I might as well just uninstall CS6

because to many featues from CS3 were removed in CS6 and I find it user UNFRIENDLY.

• 9. Re: Bouncing down to new track - mono!!

myscreennameis:RobbieS wrote:

ignor SteveG, does not understand the question.

Understand the question perfectly - there isn't an answer because, as you have observed, the function isn't there at present.

I'm thinking I might as well just uninstall CS6 because to many featues from CS3 were removed in CS6 and I find it user UNFRIENDLY.

No features from Audition 3 (not CS3) were removed in CS6 (only it was actually CS5.5) - they simply weren't implemented in a complete rewrite from the ground up. Not all features were re-implemented, simply because there wasn't sufficient time to implement them all before the externally-imposed deadline arrived. Some, but not all, have been added back in successive iterations. Yes, it's pretty much by popularity I think, although some things will likely never return, as they've been superseded by newer implementations. A typical example of this would be Scripting.

What I pointed out (several years ago), possibly too subtly, was that there are alternative ways of achieving a  mono bounce, and it's one of those that you have to use. I have no idea if the original 'bounce to mono' will be implemented - if you want it back, you'll have to submit a feature request.

Audition Feature Requests