Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Microsoft Indexing Service and Dynamic PDF (XFA)

Level 8

I setup Indexing Services in Windwos Server 2003, and I confirmed that it can index (out of the box) Static PDF (created LiveCycle Desinger), in addition to other file types.

However, the Dynamic PDF (also created with LiveCycle Desinger) are not indexed, or they do not show in the search result. Any one knows how to index also the dynamic PDF files under Microsoft
Indexing Services?

Tarek.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

I installed "ifilter60.exe" on Windwos 7 (work laptop) and also installed "IFilterShop_XmlFilter_SE_1_0_Eval.exe" to index XML content. It is clear that Dynamic PDF is not indexed. Luckly, I am storing XML Data in a separate file for each PDF, which will be very helpful. I can search files using XML content instead, and since I am following a standard naming convension, I can easily relate the found results in XML to PDF files.

See snapshots below:

IndexingService2.jpg

IndexingService3.jpg

IndexingService4.jpg

IndexingService1.jpg

but, when I search against file name, I can get results, but still PDF content is not visible:

IndexingService5.jpg

Hope my fidings will be of help to others.

Tarek.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Tarek,

I suspect that it is because the Indexing Service cannot "see" into the Dynaic XML Form.

Similar to previews of Dynamic XML Forms that display the "Please wait...", whereas Static PDF forms are displayed correctly:

Parallels Desktop1.png

I was hoping that there would be a more definitive answer ;-)

Niall

Level 8

Thanks Niall,

What about this Adobe PDF IFilter V6:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2611

Could you please help me to find out if it will work ?

Will it index Adobe Dynamic PDF Forms ?

Thanks.

Level 10

Hi Tarek,

I am not sure that the Adobe IFilter v6 will work either. The blurb talks about the functionality being built in to Reader 8, which would put this back in 2006 approx. In addition I think that it is intended for indexing PDFs generally and not specifically targetting Dynamic XML Forms.

From an OS point of view, the preview of Dynamic XML Forms in Finder does not work in Apple OS X 10.6 either:

Finder1.png

I don't know of ny other solution.

Good luck,

Niall

Correct answer by
Level 8

I installed "ifilter60.exe" on Windwos 7 (work laptop) and also installed "IFilterShop_XmlFilter_SE_1_0_Eval.exe" to index XML content. It is clear that Dynamic PDF is not indexed. Luckly, I am storing XML Data in a separate file for each PDF, which will be very helpful. I can search files using XML content instead, and since I am following a standard naming convension, I can easily relate the found results in XML to PDF files.

See snapshots below:

IndexingService2.jpg

IndexingService3.jpg

IndexingService4.jpg

IndexingService1.jpg

but, when I search against file name, I can get results, but still PDF content is not visible:

IndexingService5.jpg

Hope my fidings will be of help to others.

Tarek.