11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 9:06 AM by the_wine_snob

Background audio plays but no foreground

haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi

I'm using PE8. When I import a clip I can double click it and get the preview, which is fine - audio and all. But in the timeline I can hear the background but the foreground speech is missing. I obviously have a setting wrong somewhere - I've never had this problem before - but can't work out what to change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff Haynes

• 1. Re: Background audio plays but no foreground
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder did this video come from and what format is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select?

• 2. Re: Background audio plays but no foreground
            haynesgeoff Level 1

It's a commercial DVD - I'm trying to make a backup without all the extras. The settings are PAL HDV 720p 25. I've also tried it on PAL Widescreen 48KHerz with the same result.

• 3. Re: Background audio plays but no foreground
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Commercial DVDs commonly had digital rights management software on them that makes it impossible to copy them. So that could be at work. Although that may not show until you try to output your video and it ends up all squirrelly. So you may want to do a test output before we spend too much time on the other issue.

The other issue could well have to do with how the movie's audio is recorded. Open one of the video files in a program like G Spot and see what says about the audio. Unless it's 48k or 44.1k audio, you may not be able to use it in the program.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Background audio plays but no foreground
                haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Steve

I have done this many times before - I always backup and use the backup rather than the original.

I don't understand how to do a "test output" other than burn the file and try the result. I have done this and the audio is missing.

GSpot says:

Audio codec is AC3

Info "0xbd[0x80]:48000Hz 448 kb/s tot, 6 chnls [3/2.1]"

Stat "Codec(s) Installed"

I have to admit I have no idea what any of that means!!

Geoff

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Background audio plays but no foreground
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a thought here: many commercial DVD's use DD 5.1 SS in the form of an AC3 Audio file, that is muxed durning Transcode to the MPEG-2 in theVOB. It sounds like you are only getting perhaps the Rear Channel Streams, and not the Front. Also, it is possible that the Audio is DTS, though that is only supplemental, where either PCM/WAV, or DD AC3 (either 2-channel, or 5.1) are allowed for primary. In PAL-land, MPEG Audio can also be primary, but that is falling out of favor.

You might need to rip the Audio from the VOB, as say a multi-channel WMA (5, or 6 discrete Audio Streams), and then break those apart into the discrete Streams, and Import each one separately, to be placed onto the Timeline.

PrE does allow for DD 5.1 SS Audio input, but I believe that is ONLY in AVCHD Project Presets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Background audio plays but no foreground
                    haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Bill

I have started from scratch using AVCHD settings and the audio is as it should be. I'm now not sure, if I continue with this setting, if I can burn a DVD which will play on a standard (ie not blue ray or HD) DVD player? If it won't would I be able to pull the files (burn to folder) into PE on set up as PAL HD 720p 25 (or Widescreen 48KH)?

Geoff

• 7. Re: Background audio plays but no foreground
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you can use the AVCHD Preset, there are some quality considerations. AVCHD is HD, so your SD material will not fill the HD Frame. If you Scale it up, and then down-rez it back to SD, quality will suffer.

If you do not Scale, you will have black bars around the SD Frame in the HD Project's Frame.

Normally with HD AVCHD material, one would just down-rez to SD in Export/Share, and use that resultant file in an SD Project to basically author the DVD.

One possible option, but I would test with the trial version first, would be to use a program, like Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD, to up-rez, and then down-rez with Export/Share to an SD DV Project. However, you will still be Scaling up first, though with different Scaling algorithms, and then down-rezzing.

Personally, I would leave the Video alone, and rip the Audio to 5, or 6 discrete files, and use those. It will be a bit of work (I use Adobe Audition for this type of work), but the video will not suffer too much - remember a DVD has already undergone one MPEG-2 compression, and when you edit, and author a DVD, you will be compressing yet again to MPEG-2.

A program, like VideoRedo, or MPEGStreamClip, might be better to just cut out content.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Background audio plays but no foreground
                        haynesgeoff Level 1

I've tried my second option and the answer to the second question is Yes - I can pull the files into a new project with standard settings and it all works. So now I'll continue with the AVCHD project, burn a disc and try it. If it won't play, I can use the necessary settings.

So many thanks Steve and Bill for your time and expertise.

Geoff Haynes

• 9. Re: Background audio plays but no foreground
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Geoff,

You are most welcome, and please report your success.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Background audio plays but no foreground
                            haynesgeoff Level 1

Hi Bill

I like your optimism (report your success).

I put it all together (3 films) using the AVCHD settings and it plays well. I can't tell the difference between the backup and the original.

So many thanks again for your time and trouble

All the best

Geoff

• 11. Re: Background audio plays but no foreground
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Geoff,

It seemed that you were on the correct track, so it was easy to be optimistic.

There was no trouble. You just gave me something to puzzle over for a bit, but at my age, the gray-matter needs to be stimulated!

I am most often working the other direction - creating 5.1SS Projects, and usually will be working with discrete Audio Streams from 5 mics., to put together the 5.1, or creating "faux surround" from stereo and mono sources. I have seldom been given DD 5.1 SS to start with, as most clients do the multi-channel as separate mono Streams. I just had to think about reversing things a bit.

One of the limitations with PrE is that, while it can ingest DD 5.1 SS, and work with it pretty well, it's output is limited to 2-channel. I use PrPro, plus a little US$ 300 DD 5.1 SS Encoder plug-in, so that I CAN output DD 5.1 SS. With that setup, I can adjust all 5 speakers, plus LFE. When I have not gotten that part correct, I have ended up with about what you had - say LS and RS were fine, but L, R and C not loud enough. Depending on the source in those Streams, things like dialog will be greatly attenuated, leaving mostly ambient sound, and then any Surround, that I have created, or edited. Really strange, when tested! Since I have all 5 channels in front of me, it's easy to go back, and make corrections - viola! Suddenly I have my dialog, where it should be, plus any music, and front ambiance. Much better, and just what I, and the client want.

I most often mess up, when doing a supplementary DTS Audio Stream for a DVD. As there are several intermediate steps in that process, and involving a couple of other programs, one glitch in my workflow, and I have to go back in and tweak. It's easy for an old guy to get confused.

Thanks for reporting, and for your patience. Happy editing,

Hunt