4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2012 11:01 AM by Sean_31

General After Effects questions

Sean_31

Hello all,

i have some general After Effects questions:

- I have bought some template projects from videohive.net and when i open them, after effects

converts them. That's absolutely o.k., but is there the the possibility to hide this message.

- I am a bit confused about "After Effects Multiprocessing". It took me about 3 hours of searching the

net to find out, that I have still no idea if I should active this or not. This is my computer:

AMD PhenomX4 955 (Quad Core)

8 GB RAM

60GB SSD

Windows 7

Nvidia GTX 580

Should I use Multiprocessing? Currently my settings under "Memory & Multiprocessing" are

"RAM reserverd for other applications: 1,5GB" (available for AE 6,5GB)

"CPUs reserverd for other applications: 0"

"RAM allocation per background CPU: 2GB"

"Actual CPUs that will be used: 2"

When I work in After Effects, i do not use any other programs at the same time.

Besides those questions, I am very happy with this product!

• 1. Re: General After Effects questions
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

- I have bought some template projects from videohive.net and when i open them, after effects

converts them. That's absolutely o.k., but is there the the possibility to hide this message.

No, there is no way to suppress this warning.

Should I use Multiprocessing? Currently my settings under "Memory & Multiprocessing" are

Yes, no, maybe, perhaps...?!?!?! Sorry, but you will never get the perfect answer on that. It simply depends too much on the kind of project you are working on and too many factors to consider beyond the pure procssing power. Yes, it may work for "synthetic" stuff and still images, but the other it may be of no use when the I/O for footage files far outweighs the actual processing. So more or less, you will/ may need to adjust it with every new project.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: General After Effects questions
            Sean_31 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, thought so. I don't mind having this information of converting, I'll just hit ok.

I am using After Effects for creating an intro.

Most of the time ~20 seconds of moving pictures, optical flares (from videocopilot) and often some particles flying around the screen.

Only 720p and 1080p with 25fps, wmv at best quality.

I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge with the technical background...

Does it have any negative effects if Multiprocessing is always activated?

• 3. Re: General After Effects questions
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Probably not but it depends on the plug-ins used in the project.

For MP to work you need at least 2 GB per core, but you can't tell what setteings are best unless you try some different combinations. Set up a test project that's typical of your workflow that's only about 5 seconds long. Try a few different settings allocating a little more than  2 GB to each processor (in the Ram available for AE setting). The interface is a little confusing but here's a setup that works on my laptop.

Screen Shot 2012-01-15 at 8.16.46 AM.png

Take a careful look at the RAM reserved for other applications, the CPU's for other applications, and the Ram allocation per Background CPU. I'm using as much ram as I can for AE but leaving a 1.5 GB for other apps. This leaves 6.5 GB available for Adobe Apps. If I leave 2GB for other apps and it leavs 6 for Adobe which is right at the limit for allocating 3 processors. If I set select 2GB for Ram allocation the Actual CPU's used drops to 0 and render times go from 1:17 with MP off to 2 minutes. If I try and allocate all 4 cores my render time goes from the best time of 48 seconds to 58 with no other apps open. That's an increase of about 20%. If I switch to another app while rendering with all 4 cores used then render time goes to 1:48. Remember that render time for my test comp with Multiprocessing turned off is 1:17 so MP helps for most projects.

I guess the point is that you have to pay attention to what happens to the actual CPU's used and run some tests. As I mentioned at the beginning, some effects are not MP aware and enabling multiple frame processing may slow down the system or cause a crash.

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: General After Effects questions
                Sean_31 Level 1

I am really sorry for replying that late.

I just want to say thanks to your helpful answer Rick!