7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 1:12 PM by BKBK

how to make a variable global to use in all of my cfm page?

Ali Parsa Level 1

I have a problem with the variables.

i need to use a variable  " loginrecord" in all of my cfm pages, its created in my login.cfm and the value of this needed in other page and maybe i need to change it .

in ASP simply we can use SESSION to make a variable global , is there any way in coldfusion ?

also in ASP we have a command SESSION.SESSIONID ,  so return the unique number from browser and we can se it as a security check for each one of people login to our site and each one is seperate random and unique number , is there any similar in coldfusion ?

Thanks

Alireza

• 1. Re: how to make a variable global to use in all of my cfm page?
          Dan Bracuk Level 5

You can also use session variables in ColdFusion. 

• 2. Re: how to make a variable global to use in all of my cfm page?
            Ali Parsa Level 1

i use it but not working

i set it in application.cfm

<cfset request.loginsession=0>

but when i change the value in other page, ( like index.cfm ) i can not retrive it in other page ( like clients.cfm )

• 3. Re: how to make a variable global to use in all of my cfm page?
              Dave Watts Adobe Community Professional

You just set a request variable, not a session variable.

<cfset session.foo = "I am a session variable, and will be available on every page viewed by this user, or any program called by these pages, until the session expires">

<cfset request.foo = "I am a request variable, and will be available in all programs called by this current page request.">

<cfset application.foo = "I am an application variable, and will be available on every page within this application viewed by any user, or any program called by these pages, until the application expires">

<cfset server.foo = "I am a server variable, and will be available on every page viewed by any user or any program called by these pages, anywhere on the server">

I would strongly recommend you spend some time reading the documentation, which is very well written and all online.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: how to make a variable global to use in all of my cfm page?
                Dan Bracuk Level 5

In addition to Dave's comments, if you are writing a new app, consider using Application.cfc instead of Application.cfm.  In the long run it will make things simpler.

• 5. Re: how to make a variable global to use in all of my cfm page?
                  Ali Parsa Level 1

Thanks man , really i am new in coldfusion and i migrate form ASP and .NET , I have some book and also DVDs but its take time and many thing different between ASP and coldfusion.

• 6. Re: how to make a variable global to use in all of my cfm page?
                    Ali Parsa Level 1

Thanks,

the reason at the moment i stock with this command is i need to have login information available in all the pages to check the security. the good point i had in ASP is SESSION.SESSIONID   , it make a unique number base on browser and i can check it if user loged in or no , or if loged in is the same user or other user . i couldnt find same command in coldfusion , and now i use <cflogin> but if i can find the way to have a browser session it help me in other part of my program.

i start coldfusion new ( near a month ) i have some book and Lynda DVDs, also online sources , and in this priod i re developed one of my program from ASP to coldfusion and its work. i am happy of this and help me to develop better and faster . in compare the coldfusion developed one realy is 40% original development in size and 50% faster . i have good background of ASP in last 8 years include MCSD and developed many program for a small and big companies. but i wanna to continue with coldfusion because i found it more helpfull than ASP specialy in FLASH development .

BTW thanks for your help

• 7. Re: how to make a variable global to use in all of my cfm page?
                      BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ali Parsa wrote:

I have a problem with the variables.

i need to use a variable  " loginrecord" in all of my cfm pages, its created in my login.cfm and the value of this needed in other page and maybe i need to change it .

in ASP simply we can use SESSION to make a variable global , is there any way in coldfusion ?

Session.loginrecord will make the variable available to all the CFM pages  visited during the session.

also in ASP we have a command SESSION.SESSIONID ,  so return the unique number from browser and we can se it as a security check for each one of people login to our site and each one is seperate random and unique number , is there any similar in coldfusion ?

ColdFusion has session.sessionID, too.