7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 9:22 PM by rbuelling2

Canon Vixia HFM40 video quality issues in Premiere Elements 10

rbuelling2

Hi,

I am trying to edit video from a Canon Vixia HFM40 camcorder in Adobe Premiere Elements 10 on a Mac, but the video playback and the exported video has quality issues.  Playback is not smooth when there is a lot of movement in the picture.  It looks similar to interlacing issues, but there are no horizontal lines when the video is paused.  Any ideas on how to solve that would be be much appreciated.

Here are the specs:

Video Format (Canon's XFP mode):

- AVCDH MPEG-4 AVC/H.264

- Resolution: 1,920 x 1080

- Bitrate: 17 Mbps

- Frame rate: 60i or 30p (problem occurs in both instances)

- File extension: MTS

Workstation:

- Fall 2010 27" iMac, quad core 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7

- Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

- 12 GB RAM

-  Adobe Premiere Elements 10.0

Project Preset: AVCHD Full HD 1080i 30 (several other presets had the same result).

Thanks.

Ralph

• 1. Re: Canon Vixia HFM40 video quality issues in Premiere Elements 10
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For smoothest playback, have you Rendered your Timeline, by pressing Enter/Return?

What Export/Share settings did you use?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Canon Vixia HFM40 video quality issues in Premiere Elements 10
            rbuelling2 Level 1

Thank you very much for the quick reply.  I just tried it again with rendering the timeline and that did not solve the issue.

I used the AVCHD - MP4 H264 1920 x 1080p 30 export setting.

Do you think this could be resolved by converting the video before importing it into Premiere?  If yes: can you recommend a conversion program and the appropriate settings?

Thanks again.

Ralph

• 3. Re: Canon Vixia HFM40 video quality issues in Premiere Elements 10
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ralph,

AVCHD is tough to process and playback smoothly, as it requires a lot of CPU power. However, with an i7, that should not be an issue. Now, I thought that all i7's were Hex-core, but guess I am wrong, as you list Quad-core.

You should not have to convert, as PrE is designed to handle AVCHD natively.

With AVCHD, the CPU is the biggest bottleneck, and you also have adequeate RAM, so the only thing that I can think of would be your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's. The I/O is the weak link with other material, but falls down the list of possible bottlenecks with AVCHD and other H.264 material.Still, might have something to do with it?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Canon Vixia HFM40 video quality issues in Premiere Elements 10
                rbuelling2 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks, I'll take a look at the hard drive to see if that is the bottleneck. 

Also, on a separate note: I have not been able to propertly play the MTS files from the camcorder on the Mac, either.  I tried using VLC, but the same playback issues occur there as well.  So if the drive is the issue, then it could potentially affect Premiere and VLC.

Thanks again for your help.

Ralph

• 5. Re: Canon Vixia HFM40 video quality issues in Premiere Elements 10
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ralph,

When a simple player is having issues, then something IS a bottleneck. With your processor, and your RAM, the I/O is about all that's left. Now, there are differences between a simple player, and the Timeline in PrE. In the former, the actual file is being played from the HDD, though some CODEC processing does need to take place too. With the Timeline, one is playing the proxy file, with Effects, Transitions, etc. applied, so even more processing is needed. Rendering helps there, as the proxy files generated have those Effects, Transitions, etc. applied to them. In your case, Rendering did not help, and even simple players are having issues with the un-edited files, which points me to the system. Wish that I knew more about Mac's and could be more helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Canon Vixia HFM40 video quality issues in Premiere Elements 10
                    rbuelling2 Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks.  I just created a RAM disk, copied the file on there and I am still having the same playback issues, so I/O is probably not it.  Maybe the graphics card is not configured correctly, I'll take a look at that next.

Thanks.

Ralph

• 7. Re: Canon Vixia HFM40 video quality issues in Premiere Elements 10
                      rbuelling2 Level 1

OK, I've been doing some more research and I think I found the problem.  The choppy picture is due to Premiere Elements and VLCs inability to properly de-interlace the 60i video.  It gets played back in 30p, which does not create horizontal lines, but it is a lot more choppy than the native 60i, especially when there is a lot of movement in the picture.

I verified this theory by installing the latest VLC beta (from http://nightlies.videolan.org/) and playing back my source MTS file with De-Interlacing set to "On" and De-Interlacing Mode set to "yadif (2x)".  Those settings did not work with the current official relase of VLC (1.1.12).  The 1.2 VLC beta is not fully functional yet and I am not getting consistent results, but when I play that video several times, then after about 3 or 4 tries it plays back perfectly smooth, just like it is when playing back the native file from the camcorder connected to the HDTV via HDMI.

That also works with video exported from Premiere Elements 10 with preset AVCHD M2T - H264 1920 x 1080i 30.

The video is still choppy when played back in Premiere, but that does not really matter, since the output file produced by Premiere can be played back with VLC (assuming that the final build of VLC 1.2 can handle the files correctly).

-> Hunt: thank you again for your help.

Ralph

1 person found this helpful