5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2012 7:20 PM by Rick Gerard

zooming the timeline

Arrakis Level 1

I noticed in a tut that Im doing that their timeline is zoomed so that its numbered 1F  1.15F  2F 2.15F    and so on but mine only seems to zoom to  1F 2F 3F  etc.    Is there a way of zooming closer than 1 frame because I cant seem to find this option.    cheers

• 1. Re: zooming the timeline
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The little icon that looks like big and small mountains with a slider in between at the bottom left corner of the timeline is an easy way to zoom in and out of the timeline view. All the way to the right and you will be at the frame level. That's all there is. The only way you'd get uneven frame numbers is if there was a frame rate mismatch between your footage and the comp frame rate and you were looking at the footage layer and not the comp. Then the frame numbers would match the footage but the CTI would not line up properly.

The timeline has no finer divisions than frames. I've never seen partial frames displayed. I'd love to see a link to the tutorial you're looking at so I could figure out what's going on.

• 2. Re: zooming the timeline
            Arrakis Level 1

See in the image below you can see there is in between frames??

Screen Shot 2012-01-16 at 9.37.46 AM.png

• 3. Re: zooming the timeline

You're not looking at frames and half frames, you're looking at timecode. The numbers represent 01 seconds 00 frames, 01 second 15 frames and so on. Had I seen the screen shot the first time the it would have been obvious.

The slider in your screenshot is all the way to the left. I'm The comp is only about 5 seconds long. Set your comp length to 5 seconds and view the whole timeline and you should get just about the same display. If the timeline were zoomed all the way in, the slider was all the way to the right you'd see just frames. Here's my timeline with the zoom slider adjusted so that the timecode display matches your example:

Screen Shot 2012-01-15 at 2.54.55 PM.png

Here's the same comp with the slider all the way to the right.

Screen Shot 2012-01-15 at 2.57.54 PM.png

In the top example you can position the CTI anywhere in the time line and it would look like it was in between frames when it's actually inbetween seconds.

• 4. Re: zooming the timeline
                Arrakis Level 1

My comp is 5 seconds and the slider is all the way to the right but I still dont see 1F 00.15F 2F 1.15F.   Mine just says 1S 2S 3S etc.

• 5. Re: zooming the timeline

The slider all the way to the left shows the whole timeline. All five seconds. Also check your composition settings. Make sure you have the frame rate set properly and your composition is the full five seconds long. Also check your project settings and make sure you're set up for timecode at the right standard.