7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 9:35 PM by ziggycat4

Newbie question about Premiere Elements Organizer

ziggycat4

This is a pre-newbie – let’s say “virgin” question. If there is an answer already posted elsewhere, please send me a link.

• I’m about to install Premiere Elements 9 to do some clip editing and animation from still images.  This would be my first attempt to edit clip or do some animation from still images, besides using Windows Media Maker with my HS students. However, I have been a pretty serious photographer for 20+ years with 1,000’s of images which I now work on in PS CS5 Extended and Lightroom 3. I use Adobe Bridge and LR library to catalogue and organize my images. I’d like to continue to use AB / LR Library to organize my new clips and projects. From reading Bill’s posts, it seems I can use Adobe Bridge, copy my original file, resize in Photoshop, and save in a new folder to use for a Premiere project. This would seem to be most intuitive way for me to work. I already have keywords, metadata, actions in PS… etc. But I think Bill is using Premiere Pro, while I’ll be installing Premiere Elements, which comes bundled with Elements Organizer. Do I need to install or use Elements Organizer? What are the advantages/disadvantages or EO?  I guess I’m a little worried about installing the programs and having EO automatically acquire images using presets/defaults that I don’t want to use as well as issues with subfolders, etc. I'm running Windows 7.

Thanks

FYI- this is a great animation project

http://www.thejohnnycashproject.com/#/explore/TopRated

• 1. Re: Newbie question about Premiere Elements Organizer
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have hardly scratched the surface with Organizer, and rely heavily on either Bridge, or ThumbsPlus (Cerious Software), which is similar, but with some additional features.

Now, the only drawback is that neither of those open directly from PrE, but then I create a folder structure for each Premiere Project, and use them to populate my media folders, such as Still Images, Video, Audio, etc.. I always use Copies of my Assets, and not the originals, that remain on my NAS.

However, many here DO use Organizer, and can likely help answer any questions on its use. Other than the direct interface (sort of like Bridge with my other Adobe programs), there should not be an issue. I just have never really explored Organizer.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Newbie question about Premiere Elements Organizer
            ziggycat4 Level 1

Thanks for your input. I read some of you posts on workflow, organizing content and how to resize images for PE and you had some really helpful tips that made sense for my workflow and my existing catalogues.

• I would like to get as much input as possible on the advantages/disadvantages of using EO vs say Adobe Bride from others who use Elements Organizer.
            • Any insights would be appreciated.
            • Can anyone who has used both EO and AB comment on how EO handles missing (hidden) files, syncing issues, computer hanging up or crashing....etc?
            • 3. Re: Newbie question about Premiere Elements Organizer
              nealeh Level 5

ziggycat4 wrote:

I guess I’m a little worried about installing the programs and having EO automatically acquire images using presets/defaults that I don’t want to use as well as issues with subfolders,

EO doesn't do much with the files themselves, just maintains links to the sources.

For folders you are best to use the folder view in EO to move them as it doesn't keep track of folder locations when changed in Windows Explorer. From the File options in Bridge I think that is pretty much the same.

ziggycat4 wrote:

• I would like to get as much input as possible on the advantages/disadvantages of using EO vs say Adobe Bride from others who use Elements Organizer.
              • Any insights would be appreciated.
              • Can anyone who has used both EO and AB comment on how EO handles missing (hidden) files, syncing issues, computer hanging up or crashing....etc?

I've only messed around a little with Bridge. But to me it seems lightening fast by comparison to EO. The features Albums and Tags in EO seem much the same as Collections and Keywords in Bridge.

EO has Face Recognition abilities - getting more sophisticated in each version. I've not seen this feature in Bridge.

By default EO allows you to open a file in any of:

• Photoshop
              • Photoshop Elements
              • Premiere Elements
              • A single used-defined application (I have mine set to ColorPilot).

Bridge only seems to link to Photoshop.

Missing files can be located manually or by allowing EO to search for them.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Newbie question about Premiere Elements Organizer
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Bridge only seems to link to Photoshop.

Bridge can be run as a stand-alone program, and then one must direct it, as to where to open the file, or it can be launched from within Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Illustrator or InDesign. When one does that, Bridge is then linked to that program, and will open the file in that program - if one launched it from PS, then PS is the destination, and if from PrPro, then PrPro is the destination program.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Newbie question about Premiere Elements Organizer
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Although the Organizer is chiefly a media file management system, like Bridge, it also includes a number of tools for doing things like creating slideshows, creating online photo displays, building photo books and collages, sending photos to service bureaus for printing and even making custom (and legal) postage stamps.

I spend three chapters going through every tool and how to use it in my Photo Elements/Premiere Elements combined book, if you're interested.

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

Though, if all you need is a good photo file management system, the free download Picasas is extremely efficient. It just depends on how many tools you need.

• 6. Re: Newbie question about Premiere Elements Organizer
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, Bridge has a few, somewhat similar tools, it lacks a few, that Organizer has. Part of that is probably due to the broad range of programs that can link to Bridge, where Organizer is for PrE and PSE, so gets more features that relate to those two programs.

I also use ThumbsPlus (Cerious Software), as it too has some extra features, but it is not freeware.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Newbie question about Premiere Elements Organizer
                      ziggycat4 Level 1

HI ALL,

Thanks for your input and suggestions. Since I'm just installing the program now, I wanted some ideas to avoid issues that I read about here:

LR and Organizer playing together nicely http://forums.adobe.com/message/3889533#3889533

and here: Organizer Elements issues please help! http://forums.adobe.com/message/3370586#3370586

I think for the moment I’m going to take it slow… install PE, turn off the auto functions for EO, use LR and manually get my files.