6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 12:10 PM by bulysses

Premiere Elements 10 Trial Slow To Draw Timeline

flyingfish4

Problems with Premiere Elements 10 Trial being slow to draw the timeline when scrolling up or down or sideways.

One fix I've read said to "disable desktop composition" in the Compatibility tab of the Properties window from the PE shortcut icon.

But the option is grayed out.

My spec's:

Windows 7 64 bit

i7 2600K

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 460

850 Watt PSU

SSD System and Programs Drive

Can't figure out why it's not letting me choose that option.

Any ideas for a fix?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Trial Slow To Draw Timeline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Flyingfish,

Is the SSD your only drive? They are good for the OS and programs, but where writes are required, are rather slow. Also, if you only have the one SSD, then it is likely a bottleneck, when it comes to things like screen refreshes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Trial Slow To Draw Timeline
            flyingfish4 Level 1

Sorry, Bill.

No, I have 3 drives:

120GB SSD

3TB For Media and Projects

1TB For Previews, Cache, Exports

Any help would be great.

I thought it might be my GPU, but I'm trying Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD and it's working fine.

Premiere Pro CS 5.5 Trial did cause some Open GL errors that made PPro crash, though.

Got a bit of an older driver installed today from EVGA, but Premiere Elements still lags.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Trial Slow To Draw Timeline
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your original video coming from and what format is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If you've selected the proper settings for your source video, you will NOT see red lines above the clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case in your project?

Also, have you run Advanced System Care Free on your system? Brand new systems can be a mess of fragmentation and temp files. This great little one-click program can clean up and optimize your machine and often clears up "invisible" issues. And it's free. I've used it every week for years, and my 6 year old computer still runs better than the day I bought it.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Trial Slow To Draw Timeline
                nealeh Level 5

Something changed between PRE7 and PRE8. In PRE7 scrolling the timeline gave a virtually instantaneous redraw of the timeline (on my Nvidia 8800GT). From PRE8 it is horrifically slow. The only practical solution is to set one of the other timeline options (no thumbnails, thumbnail only at first frame, or thumbnail only at first and last frames).

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Trial Slow To Draw Timeline
                  sjhtmsm

I also have problems with the timeline being very slow to redraw in Win7 64bit.

The "disable desktop composition" option is also greyed out for me too, apparently it is because it is a 64bit app and these options aren't available.

If you go to Control Panel > System and Security > System and click "advanced system settings", In the advanced tab click the "Settings...." button in the performance section. Untick the last option "use visual styles".

It looks horrible, but premiere will now run smootly for you. (maybe)

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Trial Slow To Draw Timeline
                    bulysses

THANK YOU! I had the same problem (see my question here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957775) and disabling the "Use visual styles" option fixed it!! It's sooo nice to have a smooth timeline now.

Heh, although I might as well be using Windows 98 for how all the windows look now. :O