3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 9:32 AM by pdfacro123

Why are all my buttons in the toolbar, e.g. Save, Print, zoom etc. inactive?

DocuStar

I am running Windows 7 Professional and Adobe reader version 10.1.2.  I am trying to save an online PDF file to my desktop. However, when I click on the Save button or any button on the Adobe toolbar with the exception of the drop-down arrow for zoom-in values, they appear inactive.  Any idea why this is happening? Any help would be very much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Why are all my buttons in the toolbar, e.g. Save, Print, zoom etc. inactive?
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please let me know what is the setting for the option "Display in Read Mode by Default" under Edit > Preferences > Internet from within Reader.

Try unchecking it and restarting the application as well as the browser and see if it solves the problem.

Thanks

Ankit

• 2. Re: Why are all my buttons in the toolbar, e.g. Save, Print, zoom etc. inactive?
            DocuStar Level 1

Ankit, thank you very much for your response.  I unchecked the option "Display in Read Mode by Default".  I then opened up my browser Internet Explorer 9 to download the online PDF file.  I had no problem accessing the file but when I tried to check if the toolbar buttons were now working, I had no luck.  I then proceeded to restart my computer.  I opened up Adobe Reader just to make sure that the above mentioned option was still unchecked which it was and then opened up the PDF file in my browser.  Again the buttons appeared to be non-functional.  I then left the mouse cursor on the "Save" button and held the left mouse button depressed for several minutes.  To my surprise finally a window opened up giving me the option to save the file to a location of my choice.  Yesterday before I wrote for help I managed to save another PDF file.  I can't swear by it but I believe I had also left my mouse pointer sitting on the "Save" button with the left button depressed while I was reading up on something else.  However, when I tried to repeat this it would not work any more.  Therefore, I am not sure if unchecking the option "Display in Read Mode by Default" had anything to do with it.  Regardless, the reader is not functioning as it should.  As for the floating toolbar not working properly see my response to your request for more information in my post about the floating toolbar.  Do you have any suggestions where to go from here.

• 3. Re: Why are all my buttons in the toolbar, e.g. Save, Print, zoom etc. inactive?
              pdfacro123 Adobe Employee

Is your Display setting set to "Make text and other items larger or smaller > Larger - 150%" (Win7: Control Panel >  Appearance and Personalization > Display > Make text and other items larger or smaller > Larger - 150%)?  If it is then try the following:

1. Launch Reader

2. Choose Edit > Preferences > General > uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup"

Let me know if the issue goes away after you turn off protected mode.