8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 1:51 AM by Atmcld

Why is floating toolbar on online pdf files inactive?

DocuStar

Floating toolbar in pdf files.jpgI am running Windows 7 Professional and Adobe Reader 10.1.2.  When trying to save online PDF files to my hard drive I cannot make use of the save button on the floating toolbar (see image).  Can anybody explain why and what if any settings I need to change?

• 1. Re: Why is floating toolbar on online pdf files inactive?
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Could you please let me know the following details:

1. Which browser are you using to view the PDFs?

2. What is the setting for the option "Display in Read Mode by Default" under Edit > Preferences > Internet from within Reader.

3. Is this issue specific to certain PDFs or any and all PDFs that you access on your system? Try accessing the following PDF and see if the toolbar is still disabled:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Administration.pdf

Thanks

Ankit

• 2. Re: Why is floating toolbar on online pdf files inactive?
            DocuStar Level 1

Ankit, I am running Internet Explorer 9 as my browser.  I unchecked the option "Display in Read Mode by Default".  However, the floating toolbar now disappeared.  In order to save an online PDF file like the one for which you included a link, I need to click the drop-down arrow next to "Page" on the command tool bar of the browser to obtain the option "Save as".  This will allow me to save the file.  This however as far as I am concerned is a workaround and not a solution to my problem.  Can you think of anything else to try?  I guess I probably can go ahead and enable the above mentioned option again to get the floating toolbar back even though for right now it does not work.

• 3. Re: Why is floating toolbar on online pdf files inactive?

Yup, please go and revert the checkbox option.

In the meanwhile could you also try and access the following PDF in your browser and see if you face the same issue:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Administration.pdf

• 4. Re: Why is floating toolbar on online pdf files inactive?
                DocuStar Level 1

Slide1.JPGSlide3.JPG

Slide4.JPGDear Ankit, I reverted the check box option in Adobe Reader and rebooted my computer to make sure the changes took effect.  When I tried to save the file for which you had included the link, I found the buttons in the reader toolbar on top still inactive.  See first screenprint.  No floating toolbar in this document.  As stated previously the only way to save this file to my computer is to use the command toolbar on my browser.  I then tried to save a PDF file downloaded from a Sony website (see link below and 2nd and 3rd screenshot).  This time the floating toolbar showed up but again, it was inactive.  I don't understand why the floating toolbar on some PDF files shows while on others it doesn't.  Regardless, in either case the reader toolbars are inactive.  Please try this yourself by going to the link below.  I wonder if you experience any of my problems.  Thanks!

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=DSCW80HDPR&template_id=1&region_id=1&ta b=manuals#/manualsTab

• 5. Re: Why is floating toolbar on online pdf files inactive?

Thanks for providing the site wherein you are facing this issue. However, upon acessing the same, I was able to get the toolbar with all the buttons as enabled and I was succcessfully able to save the PDF on my local disk as well.

I am guessing it could be an issue with some setting on your system.

Could you please try and perform the following steps:

1. Traverse to the Reader installation directory (Generally its C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0)

2. Delete all the folders possible, with the exception of Setup Files.

3. Now, from within the Control Panel, go to Programs and Features.

4. Try and repair the Reader installation, by chosing Change/Modify for the Reader 10.1.2 entry.

5. Follow the steps and reboot if required.

6. Try and launch the PDF in the browser now. Are the toolbar buttons enabled now?

As far as you other query goes i.e. I don't understand why the floating toolbar on some PDF files shows while on others it doesn't. 

The toolbar will be displayed always. In your case, it wasnt displayed since, it was displayed as the fixed toolbar at the top of the screen. You will be able to view the floating toolbar once more, if you click on the View File in Read mode button (i.e. ReadMode_Button.JPG)

Ankit

• 6. Re: Why is floating toolbar on online pdf files inactive?
                    Atmcld Level 1

I have the same problem of inactive floating toolbar, also the inactive menubar at the top of the embeded Adobe Reader-X's window. 

Additional symtom may be useful to diagnosis --- Outside of Internet Explorer, if I open a pdf file, the Adobe Reader X gives blurry fonts - but this burry font behaviour does not happen to the embeded window inside the IE9.

I tried to search a solution all over the places but am very disappointed.  My system is a brandnew Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit.

Your help would be appreciated.

• 7. Re: Why is floating toolbar on online pdf files inactive?
                      pdfacro123 Adobe Employee

Is your Display setting set to "Make text and other items larger or smaller > Larger - 150%" (Win7: Control Panel >  Appearance and Personalization > Display > Make text and other items larger or smaller > Larger - 150%)?  If it is, then try the following:

1. Launch Reader

2. Choose Edit > Preferences > General > uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup"

Let me know if the issue goes away after you turn off protected mode.

• 8. Re: Why is floating toolbar on online pdf files inactive?
                        Atmcld Level 1

Hi pdfacro123,

This was exactly what you expected!  After I did what you suggested, it works now!  My many thanks for your suggestion.

Following this, I have to change the display setting to 125%. This change solves everthing: inactive toolbars within IE9 as well as the blurry font problem of Adobe Reader outside of IE9!!!!

Do you have any further solution to the problem associated with 150% display setting?  If yes, it would be my bonus - my sight reading needs larger fonts.  Otherwise, I can live with the 125% setting.