19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 3:01 PM by fuaho

When will mvc file support happen???

fuaho Level 1

There have been requests for Premiere to implement the 3D mvc file format (dual-stream avi) since at least last August. While it is admirable for Adobe to help out GoPro and Cineform, it is unreasonable to assume that everyone is going to rush out and purchase a $1000 program which makes editing a complicated mess when there is already a vastly superior workflow.

Fuji Finepix software allows editing of mvc files. Sony Vegas allows editing of mvc files. Premiere does not.

Does anyone know of an mvc decoder that can be installed and recognized by Premiere?

<")%%%><(

• 1. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>There have been requests

So you have gone to the Feature Request https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform site?

• 2. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
            fuaho Level 1

Yes.

I've also pee'd in the ocean.

Neither seems to have had much effect....

<*)###><

• 3. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, the vast majority of folk here are just mere users, and do not know the answer as to when? Those here, who work for Adoboe, and might (or might not) know, cannot say. That means that until it is officially announced, we'll not know.

Could be in a yet unannounced CS 5.5 update; could be in CS 6, or later. We just do not know.

We might get some hints from Adobe, but not until they are ready to announce - might beat the announcement by a day, or two, but not likely before that - unless Adobe is ready.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Another thing to consider is that the cited programs come from companies, that also mfgr. 3D cameras. Adobe does not mfgr. any cameras, so there is likely to be development time, after some others have that capability. Then, Adobe must decide whether such implementation will be financially beneficial to them. That is where those Feature Requests come in. They are gathered, cataloged and then prioritized. When the number reaches its critical mass, then resources are provided, and work begins on implementation. With any corporation, and especially a traded corporation, this decision process can take awhile.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                  fuaho Level 1

@Bill Hunt:

Thanks for your input.

I do however think that the issue is not all that complicated. It merely requires a codec that reads a particular avi content (Yes I know that avi is a wrapper, etc...).

I am long past expecting Adobe to be of any assistance in this. All I'm asking is if anyone out there has found an mvc codec that will install in Premiere.

THX,

< ")%%%><(

• 6. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

It merely requires a codec that reads a particular avi content

I suspect that adding full 3D support is a bit more complex than that.

• 7. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                      fuaho Level 1

@Jim Simon:

You are absolutely correct "that adding full 3D support is a bit more complex than that."

I don't need it. I've been editing 3D since 2008 and have worked out the whole bag of tricks to address all the issues once the edit is done.

All I am asking for is the ability to do the edit with a particular avi format. I think that only requires a codec.

THX,

< ;)000><(

• 8. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've been curious about this, since the software to edit the files is expensive.

Have you tried this?

http://www.3dtv.at/Products/MvcConverter/Index_en.aspx

• 9. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                          fuaho Level 1

@Stan Jones:

There are multiple ways to create individual L & R files from an mvc file: Fuji Finepix, Sony Vegas, Stereo Movie Maker

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stvmkr/

the one you listed from 3dtv, etc.

The problem is that you are then editing with two video files on two video tracks that must be kept frame-accurately synchronized with each other and the audio throughout the entire editing process.

Add an effect to one, you have to add it to the other. Group, ungroup, L-cut, re-group, etc. It's very time-consuming and inefficent. I've done it that way for years and it's a PITA.

Using a native, dual-stream, mvc file is a much better way to edit but there is no way to get the footage into Premiere.

<*)###><

• 10. Re: When will mvc file support happen???

Thanks for the info. I think that is why this is a more difficult develoment step: Adobe promotes the Cineform Neo 3d at $999. There must be something about editing a dual stream codec that is more than simply adding a codec.

• 11. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                              fuaho Level 1

@Stan Jones:

It ain't rocket science.

Sony Vegas is $600 and allows you to edit and adjust all the parameters of a dual-stream 3D mvc file on a single video track and a single audio track. Add an effect, it applies to both tracks, etc.

Makes editing a multi-camera shoot much easier than dealing with two video tracks per camera in Premiere where a four camera shoot = 8 tracks of video plus 4 stereo audio tracks and master. Plus B-roll and cutaways = another bunch of tracks. Totally messy!

<*)&&&><(

• 12. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

All I am asking for is the ability to do the edit with a particular avi format. I think that only requires a codec.

No, it requires all the effects and transitions to also work in 3D.  It requires After Effects and everything it can do to also handle 3D so you don't break the Dynamic Link functionality.  It requires the ability to output standardized 3D formats, and it requires an overhaul to Encore so you can deliver those 3D formats.

That's a hell of a lot more work than just adding support for a codec.

Now I don't actually work for Adobe, but my gut feeling is that Adobe isn't about to add the ability to simply "cut" 3D media without the ability to do everything else an NLE is supposed to do.  That means full 3D support, and a LOT of reprogramming.

• 13. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                                  fuaho Level 1

@Jim Simon:

As I've said previously, I do not expect Adobe to address the issues you raise. All I am looking for is a codec that allows me "...the ability to simply "cut" 3D media..."

I already have the workflow to finish my 3D projects.

How many have you done? How did you do them?

THX,

< ")%%%><<(

• 14. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                                    Bengaldad Level 1

I, too, would like to be able to edit Sony MVC files captured by my Sony HDR-TD10 3D camcorder in CS5.5.  I have submitted the request that the ability to import these files into CS6 be added.  I am hopeful that ADobe is listening and reading these feature requests.

It cannot be all that difficult or expensive to incorporate an MVC codec into Premiere Pro as Cyberlink's Power Director 10 (which costs less than $100) already has that feature as well as the capability to generate 3D menus.  I would prefer to work with ADobe's Premiere Pro as it is much faster and I am more familiar with it.

Tom

• 15. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I do not expect Adobe to address the issues you raise.

I get that.  What I'm saying is that you probably should expect it.  It seems unlikely Adobe would do 3D any other way.

• 16. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                                        Toon&Beeld Level 1

there is a quite good "in between" software called "MVC to AVI" that splits your MVC 3D files. Together with the cineform Neo editing is 'as usual' in CS5.x

• 17. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                                          desmehu

I am also interested to have MVC integrated inside Premiere and CS Master Collection. As I see, more and more users ask this integration.

It seems that it is not inside the Adobe priorities but the first priority is not to satisfy the customer? It must be also integrated inside Encore.

I decided now to use Sony Vegas Pro 11.

• 18. Re: When will mvc file support happen???

Fuaho,

What are you doing for bluray 3D authoring? The only options I am seeing are also expensive.

• 19. Re: When will mvc file support happen???
                                              fuaho Level 1

@Stan Jones:

I think you can use Sony's DVD Architect 5.2 for 3D BluRay authoring.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/bluraydvd

disclaimer:

I have a different workflow whereby I make a DCP for theatrical projection so I haven't gone the BD route as yet.

HTH<

< *)%%%><<(