3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 9:01 AM by Mylenium

Decimal counter

tburrellsaward

Hi,

I'm looking for something that will act as a decimal counter that can display ten digets and will allow me to stipulate the start value, the end value and the speed of increase. So far I've only found this; http://www.idustrialrevolution.com/idrplugins/decimal_counter_kit/Decimal_Counter_docs.pdf, but it has a max nine digets. Does anyone know of another way of doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

• 1. Re: Decimal counter
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use the numbers counter in after effects. You just have to stop thinking one layer. the other option is to use expressions. But as I remember you are on after effects 4.1. All you have to do is a little masking and set up your hundreds or thousands or tens place as a single layer. And just animate each of the segments of your number.

• 2. Re: Decimal counter
            tburrellsaward Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually workin on AE CS5 at the moment, if that changes anything?

I came to the same conclusion as you - to break down the whole number into seperate clusters. The problem I'm finding at the moment is that if I set the Type as "Number", and enter a starting number, playing with the timeline slider doesn't change that figure. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I should say that I'm very new to AE, so handle me with kid gloves!

• 3. Re: Decimal counter
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nothing in AE auto-animates unless it is tied to specific inputs liek timecode. You need to enable the stopwatch and set keyframes. I strongly recommend you start here.

Mylenium