3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 1:31 PM by IcebergNomad

Batch-processing images of one landscape into a seamless slideshow

IcebergNomad

I have a hundred pictures of one mountain, all taken from the same point with various weather and lighting conditions, but not all with the same zoom or exactly the same framing. I am looking for a technique to re-size and crop all of them so that identifiable points on the mountain are in exactly the same pixel location in each photo so that I can then make a slideshow in which the mountain stays perfectly still while I watch the various weather and lighting conditions changine from slide to slide. Anyone have a suggestion? Perhaps such a process has a name?

Thanks in advance,

IcebergNomad

• 1. Re: Batch-processing images of one landscape into a seamless slideshow
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack

and then try selecting all the Layers and using

Edit > Auto Align Layers

For the slideshow you may want to look into Frame Animation in the Animation Panel (see the Help). 

• 2. Re: Batch-processing images of one landscape into a seamless slideshow
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack has an option that will attempt to auto align images.  However it will most likely fail if the focal lengths used varies by a lot,  Different Focal length will produce images where an object like a mountain will be different in size and perspective.  Beside parallax errors object will have a different perspective for example the distance between object I believe will be different when you use different focal length. Once you stack the Images you can transform layers to try to match object sizes and align layers. You can then do a center Crop so no layer will have a transparent short side.  You could then use the Animation Palette and use its fly-out menu to have Photoshop make frames from the layers.  View the animation and if it looks good you should be able export the Frames a sequence of images. Do not save an animated GIF. The  GIF file format standard only supports 256 colors I'm sure you will want more colors to show all four seasons well. Photoshop versior prior to CS5 also had a PDF presentation feature you could even add transitions between slideshow images.  That feature was accessed through menu File>Automate>PDF Presentation.  And the feature was removed is CS5 and is not an available download optional plugin.   Bridges output module PDF feature is lame in comparason seems to be aimed at only replaceing contact sheet II which was also removed but can still be downloaded and installed.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Batch-processing images of one landscape into a seamless slideshow
              IcebergNomad Level 1

Thanks so much c. and jj. , I will try this out.