5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 4:57 PM by sssuuusssaaannn

On the brink of suicide

Generally Confused

Sometimes when I place a frame I can then switch to the text tool, click inside the frame, and type text. Other times I go through the exact same routine...place the frame, switch to the text tool...but under no circumstances will I then be allowed to type in text. The text curser stayes somewhere else?!? It won't shift into the newly placed text frame. Have tried Help feature and several books. They all just tell me to establish the frame, switch to text tool, click inside new frame... and away you go. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

M

• 1. Re: On the brink of suicide
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you actually have a text frame there when it isn't working? Sometimes trying to draw a new texframe on top of an existing empty frame will do this. When you click the text tool inside the empty frame it converts to an active text frame and the new frame you were trying to drag never actually exists. I wish I could figure out why sometimes it happens and other times it does not.

• 2. Re: On the brink of suicide
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Actually, I think I do know what triggers it. It doesn't happen if the content type of the empty frame is unassigned or graphic, but if at some point you've clciked into that frame with the text tool, but not typed or dragged before releasing, you've converted the empty frame to a text frame waiting for type.

• 3. Re: On the brink of suicide
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I turned that function off in preferences, because if I want a text box, I draw one. I don't want InDesign deciding that any box the text tool touches should become a text box.That used to drive me crazy.

• 4. Re: On the brink of suicide
                Generally Confused Level 1

OK. I thnk you may have something. Yes, there was an actual frame but that new frame seems to have been getting mixed up with other frames either behind it or beside it, or something. So I dragged the new frame out into the margins, away from any other frame, and clicked inside it... and it finally worked. Thanks, guys. I putting the gun down now.

• 5. Re: On the brink of suicide
                  sssuuusssaaannn Level 1

Brinky, I was just about to suggest you do that; I always do. I think my

problem is, that my pages are already text frames in themselves, so drawing

another text frame on top doesn't work.   I even tried to put the 'extra'

text frame into a second layer once, but that didn't work either.

Don't be suicidal about that, InDesign isn't worth it lol!