2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 9:27 PM by Ted Smith

Visual "amplification" of the audio track

NewToPremiereElements Level 1

I'm running Premiere Elements 10 and find the visual representation of sound in the audio track very useful.  However, the only sound that disturb the horizontal line are relatively loud.  Other quieter sounds - particularly speech - often cannot be "seen".  Is there anyway of widening the audio track on the screen to get a more detailed view of the sound waveform - I would find it very useful when editing?

• 1. Re: Visual "amplification" of the audio track
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, you can just drag it wider by dragging the seams between the track headers.

But that's not going to make such soft sounds louder.

I'd recommend first you go to the Window menu and open the Audio Mixer so you can watch the audio levels. (You want them to peak at zero, but not go into the yellow or red.)

Then I'd split your clip on either side of that loud noise so that it's not a part of our main clip. Then right-click on your clip(s) and select Audio Gain and manually increase the gain level. As I show you in my books, when you click OK, this will increase the level of our audio, making the waveform look fuller rather than barely perceptible. Doing this and watching your Audio Mixer, you can figure out how to make your audio levels full without overmodulating. And, because you sliced your clip on either side of that loud noise, you can deal with the loud noise separately.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Visual "amplification" of the audio track
            Ted Smith Level 3

There are 2 settings for all track heights. Click on the icon at left of the track to change.

Try 'normalising' the sound. Sound waveforms should fill the track height only where there is a loud peak but normal sound should be about half height.

If the sound "waveform" is very low, it means the original material is recorded too low. Maybe you have a fault in your camera?

Maybe the camera has been set for loud sounds or it's auto volume system is not working properly or not switched on,

Cameras sometimes have a "boost" setting for soft sounds. Try this if so

Sometimes a faulty electret mic has peaks going in one direction, this halves the average level (and causes some distortion)

The average level of speech at the normal level should be about 6 db below the loudest peak (spike in the waveform).

Sometimes a lound intermittent noise can force the rest of the sound in a clip down due to the auto level system in any camera.

You can restore the level of any clip by "normalising" it. (Selectable from the menus after selecting the sound clip to be normalised)

This sets the LOUDEST peak in any clip to max level and if this peak is already lower then the maximuim, then brings up the whole clip as well.

If an offending spike, such as a bumped camera is in the way, you can zoom in on the spike, sets cut points either side of it and reduce just the level of the spike by say 6db, then normalise the whole clips either side of it to bring it all back up to normal.