11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2012 2:49 PM by theMachete

Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings

jsmith-argotec

I am trying to print a PDF from IE 9 and have it honor my printer settings (which are to store to my mailbox on our Canon iR3035 rather than print out).  It used to work fine.  I found the following bug listed in the release notes for Adobe Reader 10.1 however it clearly says the fix is to update IE which clearly isn't fixing the problem.  If I disable protected mode then it works but that isn't what we should have to do for this to work.

Windows 7 Pro 32 and 64 bit

Adobe PDF Reader 10.1.1.33 and 10.1.2.45

Internet Explorer 8 and 9

"Internet Explorer: With Internet Explorer running in protected mode, the user's printer settings are not honored, and the manufacturer's or deployer's defaults are used. This behavior occurs for IE7/IE8 with Acrobat/Reader 9.x or IE7 with Acrobat/Reader 10.x. The workaround is to disable Internet Explorer protected mode, or upgrade to IE8. [2874948]"

Anyone know of another workaround other than turning protected mode off??

Thanks!

Jake

• 1. Re: Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings
          Atul Agarwal Adobe Employee

Hi Jake,

Would you please confirm if you are able to get the right behavior when you print any webpage (and not PDF using Reader)with IE9 protected mode ON?

Thanks,

Atul

• 2. Re: Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings
            jsmith-argotec Level 1

Hi Atul,

Yes I am able to print any regular webpages in IE9 with protected mode ON.  If needed I can perform the same test on IE8 with protected mode ON.

You can see the difference in the behavior before completing the print job - when you choose print... from a regular webpage, choose the Canon (if not default), and click preference you will find the printer is set to "Output: Store" which is default printer (correct) setting.  When you choose print... with a PDF open, choose the Canon (if not default), and click properties you will find the printer is set to "Output: Print".  I tried a few different non-PDF pages and they all end up in the mailbox which is my default setting.

Jake

• 3. Re: Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the response.

I could not really reproduce the issue probably due to the lack of the right fax driver. Could you please send out the fax driver you are using + step by step process to reproduce this issue(if possible with screenshots)? I would request you to directly send out an e-mail at atulagar@adobe.com

Thanks,

Atul

• 4. Re: Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings
                jsmith-argotec Level 1

Atul,

Were you able to reproduce this issue with the instructions/drivers I sent you?

Thanks,

Jake

• 5. Re: Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings

Hi Jake,

Sorry for the delayed response. I could not reproduce the issue raised by you.

Are you still seeing the issue? If yes, Could you send me the latest version of the driver as well and i will revert immediately.

Thanks,

Atul

• 6. Re: Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings
                    jsmith-argotec Level 1

Atul,

No problem.  Yes I still see this issue.  I will try to send you the latest driver that I am using but the file is large and may not go through via email.  Here is a link to the driver package also:

http://downloads.canon.com/isg_public/PCL6_v6.85_Win2k-Win7_INF.exe

Steps:

Run the driver package - this extracts driver files to a temporary directory.

Add new networked printer in Windows 7 Pro - these drivers are for 32 bit but the problem exhibits in both 32 and 64 bit.

Have disk - browse to the pcl6 subdirectory in the temporary directory above.

Once installed configure printing preferences for the new printer - On Page Setup tab under Output Method change this to store in a mailbox.

Now ready to test.  Open a pdf document on a website in IE9.  Click the printer icon to print it. Choose this new printer (if not default) and then click on properties - it will not show output method as store (reverts to default setting of print).

Thanks,

Jake

• 7. Re: Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings
                      sonal2890 Adobe Employee

Dear user,

We still can't reproduce this issue at our end. We are still getting 'Properties' settings similar to that we have in Control panel-> 'Preferences' dialog and we do not override it in any case. See the attached snapshot for reference.

IE9CanonIR3035.png

'Canon IR3035 properties dialog with PDF opened in IE9'

I would suggest you to get updated to our latest release Reader 10.1.3, so that if any issue still prevails at your end, it will get fixed automatically.

Thanks

-Sonal

• 8. Re: Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings
                        jsmith-argotec Level 1

Hi Sonal,

Thank you for continuing to try to track this down.  The snapshot you show is exactly what we want the behavior to be however it's not what is happening on our systems here.  I'm not sure what else I can provide to try to help reproduce the problem however it is the same on multiple systems.  Here is some more info (I apologize in advance for the number of snapshots but I hope they will lend useful info!).  Please let me know what else I can provide that would help!  These snapshots are from my system which is 64-bit (32-bit systems exhibit the same symptoms).

Adobe Reader is version 10.1.3:

ReaderVersion.jpg

Adobe PDF Reader add-on in IE is 10.1.3.23:

ReaderPluginVersion.jpg

IE is version 9.0.8112.16421 update version 9.0.6 (KB2675157):

IEVersion.jpg

IE Security settings tab:

IESecuritySettings.jpg

Printer Driver version - Go to Control Panel, Devices and Printers, Print Server Properties, Drivers tab, Choose Canon iR3035/iR3045 PCL6 and click properties, Click on Driver File and click properties, Detail tab:

DriverVersion.jpg

Printer Preferences:

PrinterPreferences.jpg

Printing the samplepdf.com homepage in IE9:

PrintSamplePDFHomepage.jpg

Printing the samplepdf.com pdf file in IE9:

PrintSamplePDF-PDFFile.jpg

Hope these help. Thanks for your time!

Jake

• 9. Re: Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings
                          theMachete

Was there ever any resolution to this?  I am having the same issue with a Toshiba driver.

Using Acrobat 10.1.4 Professional on a Win7 64bit machine.

• 10. Re: Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings
                            jsmith-argotec Level 1

No I never heard back from my last post.  Not sure what else I can do to help get this resolved.

For the one site that was the biggest issue we added it to our trusted sites - then it works OK but it's far from a real "fix" for the underlying problem (or you can disable protected mode altogether but that defeats the purpose if you ask me).

• 11. Re: Printing PDF from IE9 doesn't honor printer settings
                              theMachete Level 1

Thanks, as apparently you did, I have one frequent site that is my specific problem - adding it to my Trusted Sites worked. Still frustrating for other site, but live-able.  It would be nice if the underlying problem could be solved though (without turning off protected mode).