20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 5:40 PM by Chris Cox

Increase size after saving

aedrthy

Hi! Taking a PSD file, why does it increase in size after every save also after having done changes to it?

For example if I open a PSD file and i hide a layer and after I show it, when I go to save the file, it will be bigger in size than original. The same with the function "save as...".

Is there an option to "clean" an existing PSD file, reducing it's size after several saves?

Thank you in advance

Message was edited (level>layer) by: PECourtejoie

• 1. Re: Increase size after saving
          Curt Y Level 7

Every time you do an operation to the psd file the file increases as long as you don't flatten image.

If you do a gaussian blur of the 10 meg file the new file size will be 20 meg.

• 2. Re: Increase size after saving
            aedrthy Level 1

ok! If I select all layers and I drag them into a new blank psd file, it will be small in size. But will the quality be the same than the original PSD?

Message was edited (level>layer)  by: PECourtejoie

• 3. Re: Increase size after saving
              Curt Y Level 7

Don't mix up file size and quality.  The quality of the uncompressed picture will be related to the size in pixels.

The operations you do by adding layers just increases the file size as each layer has information, what it does to the resolution depends on what you are doing.

While you can increase the apparent resolution my some operations, you can not really add resolution as you have to create pixels.

Did not understand what dragging layers to a blank file  will do, or why you would want to do it..

• 4. Re: Increase size after saving
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are applying Levels on an empty file, i.e. no pixels to affect, I would not anticipate a size increase. As far as qualtiy, I must be dense tonight, but not sure how one would judge it, where there are no pixels. Can you help me with that part?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Increase size after saving
                  aedrthy Level 1

I try to explain me better. I have a file called "TEMP.psd" of 1.0 Mb with 1 only layer

1) Now i open it...

2) I hide the layer

3) I show the previous hidden layer

4) I save it, result 1.x Mb (bigger than previous)

5) I create a blank PSD file with the same resolutions and dpi of "TEMP.psd"

6) I open "TEMP.psd" of 1.x Mb

7) I drag the layer of "TEMP.psd" into the new blank PSD file

8) I save the new PSD as "TEMP2.psd"

The size of "TEMP2.psd" will be smaller than "TEMP.psd", because "TEMP.psd" has been saved more times, while "TEMP2.psd" only one time.

Now, will be "TEMP2.psd" the same quality of "TEMP.psd"?

Message was edited (level>layer) by: PECourtejoie

• 6. Re: Increase size after saving
                    Level 4

Are you by any change getting "levels" mixed up with Layers?

Incidentally, I cannot think of anything more insanely unwise than to work with a file named "TEMP.xxx"! 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 7. Re: Increase size after saving
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Photoshop PSD files do not normally "accumulate" edits as time goes on, and the file size does not increase unless their actual contents are made to contain more information.  They are just compressed versions of the data as you see it.  If the data gains detail or more data is added (e.g. by adding layers or by adding data to a layer where a color was solid or the layer was transparent before) then the file size will increase.  It's important to note that Photoshop does not, in a general sense, accumulate metadata.  It makes the actual edits to the pixels as you operate it.

That said, one CAN see the file getting larger if one turns on edit logging in the preferences.  But this is just a log of the editing steps in text form, and it doesn't cause the file to grow very fast.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Increase size after saving
                        aedrthy Level 1

right, LAYERS, not LEVELS

• 9. Re: Increase size after saving
                          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Folks, please be kind with him, in Italy, Layers are called Livelli: http://help.adobe.com/it_IT/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-78e2a.h tml

I will edit previous posts to avoid confusion for new  members to this thread.

• 10. Re: Increase size after saving

Yes, the only idea I might have would be History log turned on in the preferences.

aedrthy, are you looking at the file sizes in the same place, not in Photoshop, then in the Operating System?

Where the original files saved in the same machine, with the same settings (preserve compatibility)? and the temp 2 file does have the same background as the other one?

• 11. Re: Increase size after saving
                              aedrthy Level 1

yes, i use the same machine, Phostoshop and settings. One minute before the file is 1.0Mb (for example), one minute after, 1.1Mb! And i only applied and "hide-show" operation on the layer!

• 12. Re: Increase size after saving
                                Level 4

PECourtejoie wrote:

Folks, please be kind with him, in Italy, Layers are called Livelli: http://help.adobe.com/it_IT/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e 41001031ab64-78e2a.html

What? ??? !!!    That easily takes the prize for most idiotic, incompetent software localization ever!

Levels should have been called strati, not livelli.

Thank you, Pierre.  Never in a million years could I have figured out or even imagine such incompetence.

I guess Adobe hired a semi-literate Sicilian immigrant fresh off the boat for the localization into Italian.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了     

• 13. Re: Increase size after saving

And if you do it again, it grows to 1.2Mb? Did you check in your preferences>general if History log is on?

• 14. Re: Increase size after saving

And in French, Actions are called Scripts!  But it might change soon. (but I'm not holding my breath)

• 15. Re: Increase size after saving
                                      aedrthy Level 1

the registry history is unchecked.

Opened original file (643KB). Save as name -> 1.psd (647KB)

Opened 1.psd. Save as name -> 2.psd (648KB)

Opened 2.psd. Save as name -> 3.psd (646KB)

Opened 3.psd. Save as name -> 4.psd (647KB)

Opened 4.psd. Save as name -> 5.psd (651KB)

Could i know why these differences??

I'm using Photoshop CS5 12.1

Is this a common problem or your "saved as name" files are of the same size than the originals?

Thank you!

• 16. Re: Increase size after saving

Isn't it just a different compression? Aren't 1 or 3 KBs negligible?

• 17. Re: Increase size after saving
                                          Level 4

PECourtejoie wrote:

…Aren't 1 or 3 KBs negligible?

Absolutely, utterly negligible!  Doesn't even account for the minimum block size on disk.

• 18. Re: Increase size after saving
                                            aedrthy Level 1

ok, this is not a problem of disk space, only to know why it happens!

same file saved as name change in size... why?? What does the new file contain over the older?

Anyway it's not a problem, so the discussion can be closed... sure i'll have always a doubt about it.

• 19. Re: Increase size after saving
                                              Level 4

Two possibilities, each one implied in my last post:

A) There may not be any change in actual file size, only in the footprint reported by the OS, which is measured in the sectors the file occupies on disk,  The bigger the hard disk, the bigger the sector.  Thus, a sector can be 4, 8 or more KB.  If part of the file is occupying only 1 KB of a 4 bit sector, that counts as 4 KB, not as one KB.  That can happen both at the beginning and at the end of the file, so a difference of 7 or 9 or more KB in the size on disk may well be no difference at all in size in RAM; and

B) The PSD files are losslessly compressed from RAM every time you save, and a different compression can easily account for the minute difference in file size, if it in fact there be one.

Both possibilities were implied in my comment in post #17.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 20. Re: Increase size after saving
                                                Level 7

It could be any kind of metadata: color profiles, thumbnails, icons, print records, etc.