• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

App update rejected because it is downloading content?

Contributor ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a strange situation with the app store approval process. I have 2 apps which I am updating one of them is simply a lite version of the former. The lite and full version share 99% of the same code the only difference is that the lite version has levels removed. The lite version was approved by the store. The full version was not. I was given this reason:

Jan 16, 2012 03:01 PM. From Apple.

We found that your app does not follow the iOS Data Storage Guidelines, which is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

In particular, we found that the app downloads content and is storing too much data in the incorrect location.

The iOS Data Storage Guidelines specify:

"1. Only documents and other data that is user-generated, or that cannot otherwise be recreated by your application, should be stored in the /Documents directory and will be automatically backed up by iCloud.

2. Data that can be downloaded again or regenerated should be stored in the /Library/Caches directory. Examples of files you should put in the Caches directory include database cache files and downloadable content, such as that used by magazine, newspaper, and map applications.

3. Data that is used only temporarily should be stored in the /tmp directory. Although these files are not backed up to iCloud, remember to delete those files when you are done with them so that they do not continue to consume space on the user’s device.

4. Use the "do not back up" attribute for specifying files that should remain on device, even in low storage situations. Use this attribute with data that can be recreated but needs to persist even in low storage situations for proper functioning of your app or because customers expect it to be available during offline use. This attribute works on marked files regardless of what directory they are in, including the Documents directory. These files will not be purged and will not be included in the user's iCloud or iTunes backup. Because these files do use on-device storage space, your app is responsible for monitoring and purging these files periodically."

For example, only content that the user creates using your app, e.g., documents, new files, edits, etc., may be stored in the/Documents directory - and backed up by iCloud.

Temporary files used by your app should only be stored in the /tmp directory; please remember to delete the files stored in this location when the user exits the app.

Data that can be recreated but must persist for proper functioning of your app - or because customers expect it to be available for offline use - should be marked with the "do not back up" attribute. For more information, please see Technical Q&A 1719: How do I prevent files from being backed up to iCloud and iTunes?.

It would be appropriate to revise your app to meet the requirements of the iOS Data Storage Guidelines.

For discrete code-level questions, you may wish to consult with Apple Developer Technical Support. Please be sure to include any symbolicated crash logs, screenshots, or steps to reproduce the issues when you submit your request. For information on how to symbolicate and read a crash log, please see Tech Note TN2151 Understanding and Analyzing iPhone OS Application Crash Reports.

I am using air 3.1 in both the lite and full versions. Neither version downloads anything nor does it create any files anywhere. The previous version was compiled with air 3.0 and there were no problems. Has something changed since version 3.0 that could be causing this situation I have?

I've deleted and reinstalled the full version of the program on my iPod Touch while my internet was deactivated and it worked perfectly (downloading what??).

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I should mention that I installed an app for browsing the iOS filesystem and could not find a directory called /Documents anywhere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

Are you by any chance using the LSOs or applicationStorageDirectory? If Yes, http://www.saumitrabhave.com/2011/11/air-ios-solving-apps-must-follow-ios.html this can help you keeping the files at proper place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using to store levels information ? Is it shared objects or File APIs ?

Thanks,

Meet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use shared objects for remembering what level the user was last on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.. When I asked the review team where the file was located they went ahead and aproved my app revision. I think the trigger must have been the local shared object. I modified my code as Saumitra suggested in his blog. Hopefully this won't be an issue the next update

Thanks -Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saumitra, that information is great, thank you for writing.

on a side note, perhaps specifying a location for the shared object would be a nice feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines