4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 1:33 PM by Shane P

Media Cache Location Issue

Shane P Level 3

Hello,

WIn Vista 64 (Yes I know brown paper bag over head )

.Master Collecion 5.5

PP 5.5.2 Everything is up to date

First let me say that I am not having any technical issues, PPRO runs rock solid for me. I am however trying to change the specified media cache folder for all of my PEK and other sidecar files to be stored in and I am having a little trouble doing so.

I went under preferences and changed my media cache location to the specified directory where I would like all of my cache files to be stored. I also made sure to uncheck the "Save Media Cache files next to original when possible". I then searched all of my folders for the old PEK and sidecar files then deleted them as well as all of the mcdb files.

I figured when I opened up an existing project file the PEK files and othersidecar files that were needed would be recreated in the new specifcied directory.

It is recreatnig some of them in the correct directory but not all of them.

The ones that are not be created in the specified directory are being created in the same folder as the source media as if "Save Media Cache files next to original when possible" was still checked, which it is not. It is almost as if PP is remembering the old media cache setting for some files.

One project file I opened some of the PEK files were stored in the new media cache folder as specified and another PEK file was created in another folder. I thought that was pretty bizarre that it would place two different PEK files from the same project into 2 different folders.

Is there a setting for the media cache that I have overlooked?

Hope I explained myself clearly.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Shane

• 1. Re: Media Cache Location Issue
          Jim_Simon Level 8

It is almost as if PP is remembering the old media cache setting for some files.

It may well be.  These are now project settings, not global.  You'll need to change them for every project.

I thought that was pretty bizarre that it would place two different PEK files from the same project into 2 different folders.

Chances are it didn't, and that you simply forgot to delete some of them.

• 2. Re: Media Cache Location Issue
            Shane P Level 3

Jim,

Thank you for the response. I have a total of 71 project files and made sure to open each one and double chech each project settings. It was my understanding that Edit>Preferences>Media were global preferences across the application. To be sure I spent about an hour opening and double checking each project file's media cache setting. Still no luck. As I stated earlier it's not imparing me from editing however it is irritating that it is not adhereing to my specificed Media Cache folder. I find for my use that having one Media Cache folder is much easier to maintain than having misc PEK files, etc., scattered through different folders.

Do you think if I tossed the preference file it may do the trick? I don't really want to do that however I may consider doing that if you guys think that may help.

I was also thinking that it may have to due with the fact that I did not do a clean install of MC 5.5 on a clean OS. Spcifically, back in July I had MC CS4 installed on this machine then instead of reformatting the OS (which I usually tend to do as I prefer the sanity of a clean install) I simply ran the CS4 uninstaller and then installed MC 5.5. I have noticed that many of the CS4 preferences were not removed with the uninstall of CS4 and I am not knowledgeable enough like alot of you guys are to manually go hunting down all of the old CS4 files and folders.

Do you think the old CS4 files and folders left behind maybe causing the issue?

Shane

• 3. Re: Media Cache Location Issue
              Jim_Simon Level 8

It was my understanding that Edit>Preferences>Media were global preferences across the application.

It is, but Project>Project Settings>Scratch Disk is where you set the location for the files you're talking about.  Those are set for each individual project.

• 4. Re: Media Cache Location Issue
                Shane P Level 3

Jim,

I am aware of the project specific settings such as scratch discs. I though that may have been the issue so when I opened each project file I set the source video/audio to go to the project folder and the video/audio previews to go to my G Video/Media drive.

I have no idea why it isn't cooperating with the cache files. I plan I upgrading to Win 7 in the next couple of months so hopefully a clean install of the OS and a clean install of MC 5.5 will let PP "forget" what is has learned. Maybe this is the beginning of skynet? lol.

By the way, when upgrading to Win 7, is there a performance difference between Win 7 Pro and Win 7 Home? To my knowledge the OS down to the kernel is identical with the only major difference is that Win 7 Pro has all of that addition networking features. Will PPro have the same performance on Win 7 Home Prem as it would on Win 7 Pro? Just wanted to see what you thought about it.

Thank you for trying to assist. It's appreciated.

Shane