5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 4:13 AM by Rick Gerard

Noob question about resolution

thisscreennameisbad

I am a noob and I am getting very frustrated the very first time I've used After Effects.

I have a composition given to me in 1080p and all I want to do is scale it down to 720p and render it at that resolution.

At the moment I am just going to the composition settings and typing in the new desired render size.

When I render the video it gives me a video that is in 720p but instead of scaling down the video it seems to have cut out the middle of it instead.

How do I solve this problem.

• 1. Re: Noob question about resolution
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you see in the composition window is what will render, providing you can see all of the composition window. You'll have to scale your video down to fit the composition. Whenever you're scaling you must make sure that the x and y values are identical to avoid distortion. I often use Layer>Transform>Fit to comp width. The keyboard shortcut is Shift + Alt/Option + Cmnd/Ctrl + H. Use the menu and you'll find the keyboard shortcuts right next to the function.

• 2. Re: Noob question about resolution
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            When I render the video it gives me a video that is in 720p but instead of scaling down the video it seems to have cut out the middle of it instead.

It works as it always has and is supposed to. Comps do not scale. All spatial values in AE are absolute, not relative. You'll need to use nesting and fitting as Rick already suggested or simply use the stgretch options in the output module settings. Anyway, read this.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Noob question about resolution

As Mylenium mentioned it I'd like to talk about the stretch options in the output module settings. I seldom of ever use this option for anything but a quick preview because I can't see what's going on and I usually like complete control over the image that's rendered. The only way to see that is to nest your project in a different sized comp or use the Adobe Media Encoder to render your different sized files. AME has a preview that will let you see exactly how things are going to look when they are scaled. The AE comp window is the same, but Stretch works completely in the dark. It is a good and handy option for testing though.

• 4. Re: Noob question about resolution
                thisscreennameisbad Level 1

SOLVED: If anyone wants to know for the future, the composition that is being nested within the smaller composition shouldn't be resized as well.

• 5. Re: Noob question about resolution

thisscreennameisbad wrote:

SOLVED: If anyone wants to know for the future, the composition that is being nested within the smaller composition shouldn't be resized as well.

Now you have me confused. If you want to see all of a nested comp when the nested comp is a different size than the main comp you have to scale it.