13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 9:49 AM by Dave LaRonde

Rendered sound doesn't work properly

arnekuehn

Hello

can someone help me with the sound in after effects?
      When i import a music file to after effects and i render the composition with the video, the sound stops randomly after about half of the clip.
      I hope someone can help me with this, i havn't found any solutions for this.

If you want examples check out my channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FilthyGold?feature=guide

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What kind of sound file are you importing? What does your timeline look like? Without knowing something about the project it's impossible to tell what may be wrong. Please include your OS and version of AE.

• 2. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Here's a good rule of thumb for AE: use ONLY aiff or wav audio files.  Nothing else.  If you're using some other kind of audio file, convert it.  Do it now.

• 3. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Dave LaRonde wrote:

Here's a good rule of thumb for AE: use ONLY aiff or wav audio files.  Nothing else.  If you're using some other kind of audio file, convert it.  Do it now.

Dave, can you explain to me why this is? I use lots of different compressed audio files in AE all the time. They don't cause me any problems.

• 4. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Oh, I'll use compressed audio in AE, too, but only in a pinch and never, EVER if I need to create an audio track with it; I only use it as a reference.  I tried using mp3's in several different versions of the software on different machines, but all I ever got was annoying pops & clicks in the resulting audio.  It's really easy to convert an mp3 or ac3 to aiff in QT Pro, so I just do it beforehand to avoid aggravation.

Over the years, I've fielded laments on the Creative COW about bad audio coming out of AE.  If the users in question report using compressed audio, I advise them to convert to aiff or wav, and their audio problems typically disappear.

I don't know how you use audio in AE, nor have I even bothered to to use compressed audio in AE 10.5.  Perhaps when Adobe fixed the long-gop-video-codec conundrum in AE 10, they dealt with compressed audio, too; I don't know.  For my money, it's just too easy to avoid the compressed audio issue altogether.

Mind you, I almost never include an audio track on my rendered video, even on lip-sync audio.  Since My AE renders almost always go into the timeline of the video editing application from whence the clip originated, the sound's already there.  d AE is dead-solid-perfect in its frame accuracy.Rendering audio in AE is superfluous, an

• 5. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

I can't edit my post!  What gives?

Anyway, change that final sentence to read thus: "And since AE is dead-solid-perfect in its frame accuracy, rendering audio in AE is superfluous."

• 6. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly

Dave, it's true that older versions of AE did not handle compressed audio very well.  If this were 2007 I would probably not quibble with your advice. But things have changed since then.

AE (I'll stick out my neck and say CS4 and newer, but better every rev) should handle compressed audio gracefully. If a problem does occur, converting the audio to uncompressed is a good workaround, but it doesn't help us here at the plabt to identify and solve the root problem.

Handing out a blanket statement to avoid compressed audio only avoids the issue, prolongs the pain because the problems don't get identified and fixed, and may not even help if the problem doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the audio is compressed.

In any case, let's get back to the OP's problems. He/she should answer Rick's questions.

I did watch the YouTube video. I wonder if the OP has considered that by re-timing the video, the length of the audio in question also needs to be adjusted. It sounds like there's a fade-out where the audio stops, which indicates to me that the audio is ending as expected, rather than a technical issue causing the audio to end unexpectedly.

• 7. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly

It's been my experience that the latest version of AE (CS 5.5) handles compressed audio fairly well until it comes to rendering. I never finish audio processing in AE, and my production tracks are never compressed so it's not an issue for me, but for someone who's going directly to delivery from AE using an mp3 or other highly compressed audio source as the the only source for the final audio is asking for trouble. Not every time, with every track, but often enough that it's just not a good idea.

About 80% of the stuff I deliver has a full Dolby surround mix so rendering for final delivery from AE's out of the question anyway.

• 8. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly

Rick, do you have specific cases you can describe or bugs filed on it? I'm trying not to nitpick here, but I really want to separate the FUD about compressed audio from actual problems.

I won't claim that AE is bulletproof, so we want to fix the problems. The catch-22 here is that those who use reasonable practices avoid the issue don't get exposed to the problems, so we never hear about them and they ultimately don't get fixed.

If you've got useful data in this area, feel free to bug it or e-mail me or set up a new discussion on that other forum that you and I and our mutual friends chatter on. I'm sure they'll have their own perspective on this.

Again, back to the OP's problem... still pending a reply while we old-timers prattle on...

• 9. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly

It happens on a case by case basis and it's not very predictable. I don't have any projects that have had this problem because it's not my current workflow. I have filed bugs on this in the past. If I get a chance I'll try and break a project and send the broken project to Adobe Bugs.

Rick

• 10. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly

Cool. Thanks, Rick.

• 11. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly
                              arnekuehn Level 1

I'm  importing a mp3 file.
                              I am running After Effects cs5.5 on windows7scrren.JPG

screen.JPG

• 12. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly
                                arnekuehn Level 1

Okay so could i just go in sony vegas and convert the mp3 file into a wav audio file?

• 13. Re: Rendered sound doesn't work properly
                                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sure. 

Or you could just forget about rendering audio because it's already in Vegas.  If you've done your AE work properly, using the mp3 simply as an audio reference for animation purposes, you don't need it.  You could render video-only.  The audio would already be in Vegas, and you would export your AE animation with audio for final delivery from Vegas.

I render all the time with no audio, even on clips with lip-sync sound.  I bring the AE work into my editing app, and everything syncs up perfectly.