6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 7:48 AM by Peter Spier

Automatic backup lost?

LouWrench Level 1

I am busy laying out a book with search and replace styles fonts etc. I haven't been saving, because I want the undo option, if I have gone down the wrong avenue of make up. And there is ALWAYS that file in you folder that has a rebuild ability.

You guessed it! ID forced Quit. And yes you guessed it again, no file to rebuild from!

I have just (a couple of months ago) up graded to Lion. I am on CS5, I cannot remember the last time I needed this facility. So maybe it was on CS3

Since loading Lion I have been having a few quirky things happen in ID, but nothing I could put my finger on.

Please tell me if there is more I can tell you

Regards

Lou

• 1. Re: Automatic backup lost?
          Grant H Level 4

simply put as possible.

Lion NOT GOOD with Adobe products... My advice DONT UPGRADE TO LION if you are using adobe apps.

That said:

Check the File handling preference recovery info...   and saving doesnt erase your redo history only save as does...

G

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Automatic backup lost?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

So where are you now? Do you have any file that will open?

• 3. Re: Automatic backup lost?
              LouWrench Level 1

Sorry I thought I had sent a reply! I followed instructions and could not find the Library folder. But have since found out that it is hidden. Access is thro' Finder > Go > hold down alt and there she is

I do not know where my previous reply is, but that was to say I could not find Library.

And I only found that after reworking

Lou

• 4. Re: Automatic backup lost?

??????????

Followed what instructions?  Sounds like maybe for trashing prefs, but that isn't going to help get back your file. Do you have any version of this file now that you can open?

You mentioned doing an upgrade to Lion. Was that an inplace upgrade, or did you reformat and do a clean install and reinstall the applications?

• 5. Re: Automatic backup lost?
                  LouWrench Level 1

Check the File handling preference recovery info... 

They were the instructions from Grant, and yes my recovered file was there but I had already reworked the job

If I remember correctly Lion saya it does not need a clean install.

Also I do not have install files for every little freeware app and the time and risks scare me

Regards

Lou

• 6. Re: Automatic backup lost?

You can't open the recovery file manually anyway, as far as I know.

Lion may not say it needs a clean install, but migration of applications often results in these glitches. You should probably uninstall and reinstall your Adobe apps.