1 2 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 11:56 AM by jhayward@lpandt.com

This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed

Twinjohn Level 1

I have been editing some video footage now for about 60 hours and all going OK until suddenly files that I've used before cannot be used. I attempt to 'get' an AVI file that I've used before on to the organise panel so that I can drag it onto the editing area and the message 'This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed' comes up. These files are and always have been held on an external hard drive and I've not altered them. I've used a verion of GSpot and it says the codec on the files I want to use is OK!

Please help

• 1. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us the specs. of those problem AVI files?

This ARTICLE goes into more detail on what can be inside of an AVI file, and also how to get the specs. of those files.

If the files Imported, and were editing fine, then a likely cause for this would be that something has been added to the computer, that broke the necessary, installed CODEC. What changes have been made, from the time that everything worked, until now, when they do not?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
            VDOSurfer Level 3

Please let us know what has changed on the PC after the last time the AVIs were imported and before you first got this error message. Any codecs installed, any app (that installs codecs) could have an impact. An uninstall and reinstall can help. Your projects will remain intact, so you can try this...

• 3. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Or, depending on WHAT was installed, a System Restore might be helpful. Prior to doing a System Restore, I recommend creating a new manual System Restore Point for now, and then booting to Safe Mode, choosing System Restore, and choosing one before the changes were made. When done, reboot to regular mode and test. If that does not help, just boot to Safe Mode and go to the recently, manually created System Restore Point for now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                Twinjohn Level 1

Hi Bill

this is going way beyond my capability. You were saying something may have been added which would affect this - what do you mean? Hardware? I did a back up of some files. I'm also not sure what specs you are after. They are all AVI HD files taken by my Pentax.!!

John

• 5. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With the exception of some video players, that contain most necessary CODEC's, CODEC's are installed in the OS/system. They are then available to programs that use them to decode, and or encode AV files. Many can also be used to edit AV files. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Now, CODEC's can be rather fragile, and most are just sitting around, being linked by the OS. What can happen is that another program will have either overwritten that good CODEC with its own version, or has told the OS to use its version first, instead of one that has worked fine before. One of the biggest culprits to the overwriting, or priority change with CODEC's is a CODEC pack. Those are often free, and contain hacked, or reverse-engineered versions of popular CODEC's, and will overwrite good, existing commercial CODEC's with their own, which might, or might not work. Some NLE editing programs will do the same thing, though their versions are usually better, and are commercial, still, their version might not work well with PrE.

Adobe has gone to great lengths to "hide" their CODEC's, but using a non-standard naming convention for them - mostly MainConcept CODEC's, and the name will usually have "Adobe" in it. This does not cause any issues, usually, but will fool some CODEC utilities, like G-Spot, or Sherlock the CODEC Detective, which can report that all of the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's are broken - that is because of the word "Adobe" in front of the CODEC's name. Those Adobe MainConcept CODEC's work just fine, but can throw a false-positive error with some of those utilities. When one installs a CODEC pack, or another NLE, those Adobe MainConcept CODEC's will not be overwritten, but might still loose priority, depending on what is installed.

Have you installed any CODEC packs? If so, which ones?

Have you installed any NLE programs (Non Linear Editor)? If so, which ones?

Have you installed any AV player programs? If so, which ones?

Now, you state that these files worked fine at one time. Was that on the same computer? Was that on the same install of the OS?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                    Twinjohn Level 1

Hi Bill

thanks for your time on this one.

Have you installed any CODEC packs? If so, which ones? - no - I was tempted but have not.

Have you installed any NLE programs (Non Linear Editor)? If so, which ones? Don't know what you mean, so I assume no.

Have you installed any AV player programs? If so, which ones? I updated real player.

Now, you state that these files worked fine at one time. Was that on the same computer? Was that on the same install of the OS? It was on the same computer and I have not reinstalled the OS.

John

• 7. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Have you installed any CODEC packs? If so, which ones? - no - I was tempted but have not.

This is personal, and flies in the face of some recs. that are commonly offered, but I am against almost any CODEC packs. About the only exception is some from MicroSoft, as they removed a lot of CODEC's from their OS's installations, but bundled many of those. This started with the Vista CODEC packs. Those are all that I will recommend. Hold off on that temptation, at least for now.

Have you installed any AV player programs? If so, which ones? I updated real player.

This might be too easy a target, and especially as I have a strong bias against Real Player, but it would be my first guess. That negative bias comes from having had Real Player years ago, and the insurmountable problems that it caused. I am NOT a fan of that player, and recommend VLC Player, which can play most RM-type files much better. I believe that MediaPlayer Classic HC can also play them, but one might need a plug-in. Both of those are free, and very, very good.

That "first guess" is that Real Player has added some CODEC's, that get in the way, and unless there has been a major change to Real Player, many of your AV file formats have also been hooked and routed to Real Player. Apple's QuickTime Player used to do that, by default, and would hook about every file type you can imagine, even ones that QT Player could not play. A couple of years ago, Apple made a change in the installer, so now one can manually do file associations for QT Player, and I keep that to a bare minimum. Not sure how the installation of Real Player is now, but it was once the worst, with file association hooking, and seemed more like a Trojan, or virus, than a useful player. I shun it like the plague, so do not know how it might work now.

Let's talk about System Restore Points. This is a function, that Windows offers. Depending on setup, Windows will add System Restore Points automatically, and often when one is doing something like updating the OS. These allow one to roll-back the OS to a previous point. They can also be created manually, and can be very useful. I try to always create one, before I install anything, and usually prior to updating much of anything. This gives me multiple options to roll back the OS. System Restore Points only affect the OS, and not data files, or program files, in general, unless a program was installed after the chosen System Restore Point.

I would spend a bit of time, reading the Windows' Help File for your version (things like System Restore might change slightly, version to version), on System Restore. It will go into a lot more detail, and explain how to set up System Restore Points, and also use them to roll-back.

I recommend creating one for right now (something that I always do, if I am going to test with a roll-back), so nothing from now will be lost.

Next, I boot to Safe Mode (should be F8 immediately after the POST portion of your boot routine, but BEFORE Windows is loaded). Some argue that one does NOT need to boot to Safe Mode, but I have had System Restore Points fail from regular mode, and so have many, many users. That is why I go with Safe Mode - works 100% for me, and for most others. Also, when the system does boot to Safe Mode, one automatically has the option to go to System Restore, or just boot to Safe Mode. If one takes the option for System Restore, they will be taken to the System Restore screen, where one has a set of calendar screens, showing the available System Restore Points. In the case of troubleshooting, I will choose a date before the possibly troublesome installation. When chosen, the system will roll the OS back to that date/time, and require a reboot, but one can let it boot to regular mode.

At that point, I would test everything. Remember, any programs, added AFTER that System Restore Point, will need to be reinstalled to function. If this corrects the problem, then just reinstall anything (except for say the update to Real Player) that came after. Data files should not be affected in any way.

If the problem has not been fixed, only a few moments have been lost, as you did that System Restore Point for now, and can just repeat the process, choosing that, to get back to where you were that day.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                        Twinjohn Level 1

Hi Bill

so first up do I uninstall Real Player?

John

========================================

Message Received: Jan 17 2012, 05:33 PM

To: "Twinjohn"

Cc:

Subject: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed

Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed created by Bill Hunt in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion John,

This is personal, and flies in the face of some recs. that are commonly offered, but I am against almost any CODEC packs. About the only exception is some from MicroSoft, as they removed a lot of CODEC's from their OS's installations, but bundled many of those. This started with the Vista CODEC packs. Those are all that I will recommend. Hold off on that temptation, at least for now.

This might be too easy a target, and especially as I have a strong bias against Real Player, but it would be my first guess. That negative bias comes from having had Real Player years ago, and the insurmountable problems that it caused. I am NOT a fan of that player, and recommend VLC Player, which can play most RM-type files much better. I believe that MediaPlayer Classic HC can also play them, but one might need a plug-in. Both of those are free, and very, very good.

That "first guess" is that Real Player has added some CODEC's, that get in the way, and unless there has been a major change to Real Player, many of your AV file formats have also been hooked and routed to Real Player. Apple's QuickTime Player used to do that, by default, and would hook about every file type you can imagine, even ones that QT Player could not play. A couple of years ago, Apple made a change in the installer, so now one can manually do file associations for QT Player, and I keep that to a bare minimum. Not sure how the installation of Real Player is now, but it was once the worst, with file association hooking, and seemed more like a Trojan, or virus, than a useful player. I shun it like the plague, so do not know how it might work now.

Let's talk about System Restore Points. This is a function, that Windows offers. Depending on setup, Windows will add System Restore Points automatically, and often when one is doing something like updating the OS. These allow one to roll-back the OS to a previous point. They can also be created manually, and can be very useful. I try to always create one, before I install anything, and usually prior to updating much of anything. This gives me multiple options to roll back the OS. System Restore Points only affect the OS, and not data files, or program files, in general, unless a program was installed after the chosen System Restore Point.

I would spend a bit of time, reading the Windows' Help File for your version (things like System Restore might change slightly, version to version), on System Restore. It will go into a lot more detail, and explain how to set up System Restore Points, and also use them to roll-back.

I recommend creating one for right now (something that I always do, if I am going to test with a roll-back), so nothing from now will be lost.

Next, I boot to Safe Mode (should be F8 immediately after the POST portion of your boot routine, but BEFORE Windows is loaded). Some argue that one does NOT need to boot to Safe Mode, but I have had System Restore Points fail from regular mode, and so have many, many users. That is why I go with Safe Mode - works 100% for me, and for most others. Also, when the system does boot to Safe Mode, one automatically has the option to go to System Restore, or just boot to Safe Mode. If one takes the option for System Restore, they will be taken to the System Restore screen, where one has a set of calendar screens, showing the available System Restore Points. In the case of troubleshooting, I will choose a date before the possibly troublesome installation. When chosen, the system will roll the OS back to that date/time, and require a reboot, but one can let it boot to regular mode.

At that point, I would test everything. Remember, any programs, added AFTER that System Restore Point, will need to be reinstalled to function. If this corrects the problem, then just reinstall anything (except for say the update to Real Player) that came after. Data files should not be affected in any way.

If the problem has not been fixed, only a few moments have been lost, as you did that System Restore Point for now, and can just repeat the process, choosing that, to get back to where you were that day.

Good luck,

Hunt

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4146768#4146768

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4146768#4146768. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 9. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

In case it is NOT the cause, and if you actually use it (I have found several better alternatives), I would do the System Restore test. If, with things reset to prior to that update, you get back to being able to work in PrE, with those files, then I would strongly consider uninstalling it, and replacing it with another player.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                            Twinjohn Level 1

Hi Bill

I have now done a system restrore but still the message keeps coming up. I can play AVI files on elements but I cannot import them for editing. If I installed elements on another machine would that work? If I uninstalled elements from my PC and reinstalled would that work?

John

• 11. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

It will depend entirely what CODEC is inside the AVI file.If it's something like DivX, or Xvid, the chances are slim, that PrE will ever be able to edit the material. However, without knowing the CODEC, it is impossible to tell. Most CODEC's, when installed properly, will allow playback of AV files, and a smaller sub-set of those will also all Encoding. An even smaller sub-set can be used by an NLE, and as all NLE's are not created equal, some might work with one, but not another. What are the details of the problem AVI?

Conversion would be the only alternative.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - This ARTICLE goes into much more detail on CODEC's.

• 12. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                TimjHall Level 1

TwinJohn.    I'm having the exact same problem!  I was working with some video files not having any problems with them.  Then all of a sudden I'm getting this same error message "This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed'".  I have not updated or changed anything in my computer.  I've used Gspot to look at the files and like you  it tells me they are fine and the correct codec is on the machine. It even plays them in the little box.  I can open the file in Windows media player and they work fine.  I think its nuts that I have to go through all of this research and possilbe do a system restore to fix a problem that came out of nowhere!   One week its working and then next is just stops working, with the exact same files! 

I've reinstalled Qtime, I've installed VLC player and still nothing... having the same problem. 

Please let me know if you find the magic.  i just don't see how this can be a 35 step fix and installing this and that and converting ever file I now have.  There has to be an easy fix.  Thanks

• 13. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you share with us, exactly what that CODEC is?

Above, there is a link to CODEC's a Primer, that goes into detail on what a CODEC is, how they work in general, and why they are needed. Have you read that yet?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                    TimjHall Level 1

Hey Bill    Here is the snap shot of Gspot--   You tell me

Capture.JPG

yes i've read and read and read.    Thanks for the help!

• 15. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                      Twinjohn Level 1

Hi TimjHall

I have now converted the AVI files I needed to use to MPEGs using file conversion software - Prism. I am now able to bring them into my elements editing window and work with them and they seem to be OK quality. I have not yet tried using any other AVI files I have on a new project.

By the way I'm not sure about downloading these sorts of programmes. Bill Hunt could perhaps help us both here.

• 16. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                        nealeh Level 5

Timjhall - wow ! I don't think I've ever seen a GSpot screen with so much lack of data. The playback render may be OK but without any audio or video codec present (both completely blank in your screenshot) I'm not surprised PRE is having problems.

Just to be on the safe side would you also analyse that clip with MediaInfo - that may provide some extra detail.

Where did this footage come from, what camera mode was it shot in, and how did you get it into PRE ?

You could also try renaming the file extension to .mts and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 17. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                          nealeh Level 5

Twinjohn wrote:

By the way I'm not sure about downloading these sorts of programmes. Bill Hunt could perhaps help us both here.

Prism is fine, others here use it. You should also check out the two FAQ topics about file conversion that list a variety of conversion software safe for you to download.

What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?

How can I convert my AVCHD footage to more traditional HDV?

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 18. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                            TimjHall Level 1

John thanks..  I find it so frustrating that I'll have to take the time to convert everything.... when a week ago I didn't have to do anything.   Plus I don't want OK quality, want HD quality.

Nealeh-  I'll run it in Medialnfo tonight, and share the screen shot.  Also I'll get more details on the camera and mode.... its just an HD Cannon camcorder,  I just drag and drop them to an external hard drive for storage until I'm ready to edit them.  In PE I just grab them directly off the external hard drive (I can't remember the option, its the last option under the get media tab)

Thanks guys!

• 19. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Neale. Where in the world did that file come from Timj! It is a real mystery box of file data!

• 20. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                TimjHall Level 1

I just had a thought, could a device like a bluray player mess with a video file?  Because I did USB the external hard drive into the usb port on my bluray player, to view some pictures that are on the same external hard drive.

• 21. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed

What model of camcorder originally produced this MPEG?

• 22. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                    TimjHall Level 1

Steve- Its a Cannon Vixa HF M30. 

Thanks for the help!

• 23. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed

Really? And you used Premiere Elements' Video Importer (under Get Media) to import this file from the camcorder, over a USB connection, to your computer?

Often, if you use third-party software or a a digitizer device, it can change the files. The Video Importer keeps the video in its original video and audio data.

• 24. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                        TimjHall Level 1

yes I'm using PE,  Since the video is stored on my external hard drive '(I take the video off the camcorders SD card and drop it on the external hard drive) So under the Get Media tab, I use the "Get video/photos/audio from:"  Files and folders".  So its not a direct import from the camcorder, but its just from the hard drive.  Can that be any different than taking it from the camcorders SD card?   Doing it this way is it not going through a Video Importer? 

• 25. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                          TimjHall Level 1

Here is the snap short of the file in MediaInfo

vidd.JPG

Let me know what this is telling me. Thanks!

• 26. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                            nealeh Level 5

PRE should be able to read both BDAV video and AC3 audio so I'm at a loss to know why you are getting the missing codec message. I suggest you reinstall PRE just in case something recently added to your machine messed up the PRE codec. 

A long shot (and this is a problem I faced last weekend) is to use windows to copy the file, rename it to something short and import the copy. After I copied it the file byte-size changed and PRE imported it perfectly. I think there may have been a non-visible control character in the filename removed when copying it. Nothing like your case but hey - it's quick and you haven't really lost anything if it still doesn't work. 

You may need to get onto Adobe Tech Support to help you with this one.

Cheers,

-- 

Neale

• 27. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I have no idea if this applies to PrE, but Adobe Encore has issues with files under certain conditions:

• Overly long filenames
                                                              • Overly long file Paths
                                                              • Spaces in filenames
                                                              • Certain characters (mostly punctuation characters) in filenames

In addition, many Adobe programs have issues working with files in the Windows Desktop folder, as it has specific properties.

Just some things to think about, and investigate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 28. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                                TimjHall Level 1

I found the solution!!   I am hoping someone might be able to tell me why this works.   I have all my video stored on a external hard drive, in order to get the video to work in PRE I have to drag them off the external hard drive and place them on my computers hard drive!  Then I no longer get the error and they work just fine. 

Why would this be?? 

I really don't want them to take up space on my computers hard drive. 

Do I have to have codec on my external hard drive or something like that??

• 29. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I have only seen such issues, with external NETWORKED HDD's, but not regular externals, hooked directly to the computer. Matter of fact, I edit to/from a series of FW-800 externals, and have never had any issues.

Only thing that I can think of is the connection of the HDD, not being fast enough for PrE to use effectively. Is it a USB 2.0? If it is, there is a possibility that if you went with FW-400, FW-800 or especially eSATA, you would not have those issues. However, only testing can verify that.

With the exception of eSATA, having the Assets on an internal HDD will always be faster, though my FW-800's are not bad, and I really notice little slowdown - gotta' be there, but I don't notice.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                                    TimjHall Level 1

yes its USB 2.0.   That is the only option the external HDD has, just the one USB port.  I wouldn't think that its not fast enough, because it was working before.  Something has to have changed on the external HDD.

I just read your article about HDD.  I thought maybe it was the drive letter change,  but it seems to be "F" no matter which USB port on my computer I plug it into.

• 31. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

While others have good luck using USB 2.0 externals, I have very bad luck, and so did thousands of others. The problem, and actually worse on a faster computer, is that the read/write requests come too quickly for the connection to comply, in a timely fashion. This can lead to corruption of the files and read/write errors, including the dreaded Delayed Write Failure, which can lead to a dead external. Now, I am not saying that this is the cause in your case, but if PrE is having issues with files ON the USB 2.0 external, but not on an internal, then something is wrong with PrE's ability to properly read from the external.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 32. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                                        TimjHall Level 1

I still have not been able to resolve this problem..  so disappointed.  Adobe tech support suggestion was no better than  "restart your computer... unplug it for 5 seconds"

• 33. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                                          nealeh Level 5

TimjHall wrote:

I found the solution!!

to get the video to work in PRE I have to drag them off the external hard drive and place them on my computers hard drive!  Then I no longer get the error and they work just fine.

TimjHall wrote:

I still have not been able to resolve this problem

Do you mean it's no longer working if you transfer the files to the local hard disk ?

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 34. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed

Which issue are you dealing with, Tim? The missing codec? The video import issue? The external hard drive issue?

I thought you said that, when you put the video file on your C drive, your were able to successfully use it in your project. If that's the case -- and the problem is limited to files on your external drive -- it's a system configuration issue, right? Not an Adobe issue.

Although we've got so many different discussions going on in this thread at once, it's hard for me to keep up.

• 35. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                                              TimjHall Level 1

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. 

I can place them on the my C drive and they work.  However I don't want to place them on my C Drive, I don't have room for them to be on my C drive and the reason why I have the external HDD. 

The issue is that 2 weeks ago they worked perfectly fine off the External HDD, and now they don't.   

• 36. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed

Which definitely indicates a system configuration issue.

Unfortunately, short of deleting the drive from your Device Manager and letting Windows re-install it, I'm not sure what to recommend. Sorry. But, from what you've indicated in your posts, there's nothing wrong with the program or the media file itself.

I wish there was more we could do for you.

• 37. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                                                  jhayward@lpandt.com Level 1

Hi Folks,

I have this same issue.  My trial version of Premier Elements 10 was working great.  I was able to add .mpg, .avi  .mts from several sources, create my videos and then burn to disc.   When my trial ran out, I purchased a license.  After I entered the license, the next time I tried to import the same mpg, I get the 'This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed'.  I can still import the .avi video that I captured with Premiere Elements, but even with that, after editing and choosing to burn to disc, I get this error "Could not initialize Disc burning engine".  What the heck has happened to the product since I registered?

• 38. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the connection type for that external HDD?

What is its capacity and how much defragmented free-space does it show?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 39. Re: This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed
                                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

It sounds like you have lost almost everything that is MPEG related - all the CODEC's.

Those are activated, and should be available in the full-paid version. The activation should take place automatically, and transparently, if you have an Internet connection, that is ON.

Now, you say that when the Trial ran out, you then bought a license, and inserted that. I would worry that when the trial expired, if it had, in fact expired, the activation engine was disabled. With that license, you should have gotten either a download link for the program files, and the additional Functional Content, or the physical media on DVD's. Which did you buy?

It might take an uninstall, and then reinstall from either the download, or the physical discs., and then just plug-in your license's S/N.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 2 Previous Next