20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 9:00 AM by oldtoby11

trouble with characters with accent marks

oldtoby11

Hi,

I have an Indesign document of Quebec.  Many town names have characters with accent marks on them but when i create my PDF they show up as a small black box instead.  Is there any way of fixing this, other than converting my type to paths?

I'm on a Mac using Indesign v3 and Acrobat v7

Thanks

Rick

• 1. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Post your question in the forum for InDesign.

• 2. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
            Grant H Level 4

use a font that has all those glyphs...  make sure the font is properly embedded (on export to PDF) ..

G

• 3. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How are you making this PDF?

• 4. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                oldtoby11 Level 1

post your question in the forum for InDesign.

ok, I'll try over there, i wasnt 100% sure where to start so i came here first.

use a font that has all those glyphs...

Is there someplace I could go that would tell me which font/s are capable of displaying the glyphs? (btw im using Myriad Pro and HelveticaNeueLTstd fonts right now)

How are you making this PDF?

our process is to generate a PS in INdesign then run it through the Acrobat Distiller to make the final pdf.

• 5. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ok, I'll try over there, i wasnt 100% sure where to start so i came here first.

Some friendly mod has already moved your thread (I found it in the ID forum)

Is there someplace I could go that would tell me which font/s are capable of displaying the glyphs? (btw im using Myriad Pro and HelveticaNeueLTstd fonts right now)

Unless you're doing something out of the ordinary (Turkish? maybe Pinyin?) then Myriad Pro will have 'em, Helve Neue may not.

Turn on Normal View (View -> Screen Mode -> Normal) and Highlight Substituted Fonts (Edit -> Preferences -> Composition -> Substituted Fonts checkbox) and if your accented glyphs are highlighted pink, you know that they've dropped and are being substituted.

our process is to generate a PS in INdesign then run it through the Acrobat Distiller to make the final pdf.

Try exporting a PDF instead to see if it's your print-to-PS workflow that is causing your accents to drop.

• 6. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                    Grant H Level 4

Insert the glyph from the glyph panel (window>type and tables>glyphs)
                    Also you can set up  preflight profile to look for missing glyphs.

But if you insert the glyph from the glyph panel (if its there) you shouldnt have a prob anymore)

G

• 7. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                      oldtoby11 Level 1

Thanks for the help.   I see now that it is the glyphs in my imbedded Freehand file that aren't displaying correctly, the glyphs i type in Indesign are fine.

Guess ill give the FH forum a shot.

• 8. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks

What font was used inthe Freehand files? Is it installed on your system? Is it included in your list of fonts to embed when you distill (but export is the recommended method).

• 9. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                          oldtoby11 Level 1

The Freehand uses Myriad Pro and HelveticaNeueLTStd fonts.  All the fonts are installed in my Fonts folder on my Mac and when I preflight the Indesign it does not show any font errors and all the fonts i use are in the list of fonts it detects.

• 10. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks

I suspect the problem, then, is that the fonts are being subset during embedding and ID isn't looking into the Freehand files (.eps, right?) so it isn't automatically including those glyphs unless they are also included in some other text entered in ID. I's also possible that ID isn't actually subsetting all it needs because there was a bug at one point where only the first instance found of a font was included. Have you installed all the patches (you said version 3, which was CS, and the last patch was 3.0.5 from April of 2005 [there were two updates numbered 3.0.5], but did you mean CS3 which is version 5?).

Try not subsetting the fonts and see if the glyphs appear. If not, you may need to remake the Freehand files and embed the fonts in them there.

• 11. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                              oldtoby11 Level 1

not sure what the version is, ill have to check again at work tomorrow.

Also, "try not subsetting the fonts"  im not sure what this means.  (as you can probably tell, im not formally trained in indesign...its all learning as i go)

• 12. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks

When fonts are embedded, you have the option of only including the characters that are actually used (a subset). This is the default for export, not sure about distilling, but you can change the threshold to subset fonts only when the number of characters used is less than 1% (this was the workaround for dropped glyphs in exported PDF for CS).

• 13. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                                  oldtoby11 Level 1

Ok, yeah, i think i remember seeing a setting in ID like that. 

thanks, hopefully i can try some stuff tomorrow.

• 14. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                                    oldtoby11 Level 1

OK back at work...

My Indesign is v 3.0.1    I looked on the Adobe site but they dont seem to have any patch to upgrade to 3.0.5

After playing with it some more before trying what you suggested about subsetting fonts, i discovered that it seems to be only certain fonts that cause the issue

for instance

HelvNeueLTstd bold cond ob  works fine

HelvNeueLTstd bold  works fine

HelvNeueLTstd bold cond does not

The 3 fonts causing problems are Myriad Pro, HelveticaNeueLTstd, and NewCenturyschlbk LTStd

• 15. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks

Sorry, I misremebered the numbering. Indeed, the last patch was 3.0.1, but it's the April 2005 one, not the earlier one, that you want. I don't have CS installed on theis machine, so I can't tell you the build number, unfortunately, and I'm not sure the subsetting issue was solved, so I'd go with the workaround and see if that helps.

• 16. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                                        oldtoby11 Level 1

OK i already had the Apr 2005 patch installed

i went to:

Indesign preferences

general tab

Font downloading and imbedding- Always subset fonts with glyph counts greater than 2000

Is this the right place?

I changed the number from 2000 to 200, (i also did it set at 20)  but all that did was cause even more type to display as black boxes

I also went into my ID print settings and in the graphics tab i changed the fonts menu from "Complete" to "subset" and unchecked "download PPD fonts"

I also tried printing stright to PDF instead of postscripting and distilling

None of it changed anything or had any effect.

Since changing fonts in Freehand had an effect, could it be a corrupted font file?

• 17. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Whoa...First things first.

That is one very, very old version of InDesign and it isn't even eligible for upgrading.

Now, on to other items. Printing to PDF is EXACTLY the same as postscript and distill. You should not be doing that in 2011.

Instead export the PDF using the press setting but change the compatibility to Acrobat 5.

Bob

• 18. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                                            oldtoby11 Level 1

My Compatibility is already set to Acrobat5

You should not be doing that in 2011.

I agree, but thats the "official" procedure and i'm not the one who can make that change.

• 19. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks

oldtoby11 wrote:

OK i already had the Apr 2005 patch installed

i went to:

Indesign preferences

general tab

Font downloading and imbedding- Always subset fonts with glyph counts greater than 2000

Is this the right place?

I changed the number from 2000 to 200, (i also did it set at 20)  but all that did was cause even more type to display as black boxes

I also went into my ID print settings and in the graphics tab i changed the fonts menu from "Complete" to "subset" and unchecked "download PPD fonts"

I also tried printing stright to PDF instead of postscripting and distilling

None of it changed anything or had any effect.

Since changing fonts in Freehand had an effect, could it be a corrupted font file?

No, no. Don't reduce the number in the prefs, and You DO want complete and download PPD fonts checked.

DId you try resaving with the same fonts in Freehand and making sure you chose to embed them? I was never a Freehand user, so I don't really know what options are available.

• 20. Re: trouble with characters with accent marks
                                                oldtoby11 Level 1

Ok i got ya. 

now for the embarrasing bit....

DId you try resaving with the same fonts in Freehand and making sure you chose to embed them?

The fonts were not set to imbed when saving my FH file to eps for placement in ID.  So all this time it was one little checkmark in Fh causing to probem not ID

(tho i wont take all the blame i was just using the set up i was told to use when i started here 6 years ago)

anyways

Thanks to all for trying to help me out

Rick