8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 9:51 AM by okura8481

cs5 opens fine with 2 monitors but not with one? (Macintosh)

okura8481

Hi, I use a macbook pro with an external apple display.

When I open a file in CS5 and the second monitor is plugged in, everything opens perfectly. The tabs are in the 2nd monitor and the image opens in that same monitor.

However, when the monitor is NOT plugged in and I try to open a file on the laptop alone, the application opens fine, the tabs open (I can see the image I am trying to open as a thumbnail in the layers palatte) BUT the image itself does not appear. If I then plug in the apple display the image appears over there on the second monitor. I cannot explain what happened to make this change and now I cannot make it work so that I can work on files without a 2 monitor being plugged in....

Many thanks for any help

Thanks, Roger

• 1. Re: cs5 opens fine with 2 monitors but not with one??
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

An image opens wherever the last image was closed. So you can have the whole application on one monitor, then drag an image over on the other, and then all subsequent images will open there.

IOW, when going from two monitors to one, you need to drag the image back, then close it. Otherwise it will open on the monitor that isn't there.

Whew, long explanation, but you get the picture...

(BTW this was a very welcome change from CS4, where all images would open on the application monitor no matter what).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: cs5 opens fine with 2 monitors but not with one??
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

This is just a guess, and does come from a PC-user, so might not apply, but if you have a dual-monitor setup, there is a likliehood, that some parts of PS are displayed only on your second monitor. Before deactivating your second monitor, I would check that NOTHING in PS is showing on the second monitor - no dialog boxs, etc., NOTHING.

To illustrate, friend brought his new MacBook Pro over to show me how well PS worked on it. He kept getting what appeared to be program hangs, with many operations - nothing would work, and he had to kill PS, as it became unresponsive. I watched the operations, that were seemingly hanging the program, and tested on my PC laptop. He allowed as how he normally had a dual monitor setup, back in Colorado, so I just grabbed a spare monitor, and we hooked it up.Viola, each of those operations had their dialog screen showing up on the second monitor. They were working fine, but without that second monitor, they were invisible, and waiting for input, hence the program seemed to hang. He moved all of those to the main monitor, we disconnected the second monitor, and all was good again.

Not sure if things like dialog boxes would be affected, but you might want to explore creating a Custom Workspace, that ONLY shows on the main monitor, and then, when the second monitor is unplugged, just choose THAT Workspace.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: cs5 opens fine with 2 monitors but not with one??
              the_wine_snob Level 9

D Fosse,

Looks like we have about the same idea, and at almost the same time.

Hope that helps the OP.

Hunt

• 4. Re: cs5 opens fine with 2 monitors but not with one??
                okura8481 Level 1

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to answer.

I moved the image window from my secondary monitor over to my laptop monitor and quit CS5. The I unplugged the second monitor. I then re started photoshop and re-opened the image on the laptop, however I still have the same problem. The tools and history window (with the thumbnail of the image) appear on the macbook but not the image. When I then plug in the monitor, sure enough there is the image...

I do appreciate your help

Roger

• 5. Re: cs5 opens fine with 2 monitors but not with one??
                  Level 4

Trash your Photoshop preferences.  That will fix the problem.

To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop, start the application while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 6. Re: cs5 opens fine with 2 monitors but not with one??
                    okura8481 Level 1

Hi there, thanks Wo Tai Lao Le, I quit CS5. then per your suggested opened it following your instructions. and it worked.

However, I then quit CS5 and opened it again (without holding down the command+option+shift keys) and it was the same as before, the apllication opened, the tabs appeared, I could see the thumbnail of the image in the layers menu, but the image itself did not open).

I tried it again holding down the keys when the application started and it worked. And started again without holding down the keys and it did not work.

Does anyone know a permanent solution to this weird little problem?

Many thanks

Roger

• 7. Re: cs5 opens fine with 2 monitors but not with one??
                      Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

It sounds to me like Photoshop may be crashing on quit. Do you get a message about Photoshop crashing when you quit?

• 8. Re: cs5 opens fine with 2 monitors but not with one??
                        okura8481 Level 1

Hi there, no messages at all,  it seems to open and close perfectly. I did recently intall OS Lion, but I've not heard of anyone else having similar problems..