5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 11:49 AM by Style Council

Robohelp 7 HTML problems with whtbar.js and previous topics in WebHelp

Style Council Level 1

Hello,

I have posted before with much success concerning the whtbar.js file. For example, in one of our products, the WebHelp opens within the program, so I had to make sure I always checked in the old whtbar.js file in version control, replacing the latest whtbar.js file creating upon RoboHelp compilation. Otherwise, the previous and next topic browsing wouldn't work. So, that has not been an issue since. Now we have two new products that I have created WebHelp projects for, but the back and forward previous/next topic buttons do not work.

When I compile the projects in Robohelp, the browse sequence left and right arrows appear but do not work. I simply use the browser's back and forward buttons. So, I can only confirm their appearance and thus that a browse sequence is set up in my help project. Well, just over the last couple days I have noticed that those previous and next topic arrows are not working in the two new finished products accessed by a link from a web page.

Should I use the latest whtbar.js file updated upon the last compile and keep that checked into our source control SVN software? Unlike my first WebHelp project, these are accessed from a URL and not from within an .exe. So, I'm thinking that the restriction of using the original whtbar.js file may not apply to the two new WebHelp projects, whose help is accessed from a link on a web page. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I am using RoboHelp HTML 7. Would upgrading eliminate any of these problems? With 7, I have to alter the whver.js file to get the help to work correctly in Google Chrome, so I usually just check all the new files into SVN and then delete that one file and replace it with the file that already had the additional Chrome tag. Are there any features anyone finds particularly helpful in newer versions?

Finally, on an unrelated note, when importing topics into a new project (after importing templates), is there anyway for the copied topics to retain their templates and indexing? Seems like there has to be, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Thanks for all of your help,

Kevin

• 1. Re: Robohelp 7 HTML problems with whtbar.js and previous topics in WebHelp
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Kevin

Normally those buttons are for traversing a Browse Sequence you have defined.

The question here is, how are you expecting these to behave? If you expect them to behave like the browser Previous and Next buttons do, it's going to require some tweaking to make that happen. Is that the purpose behind the special version of the javascript file?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 2. Re: Robohelp 7 HTML problems with whtbar.js and previous topics in WebHelp
            Style Council Level 1

Hello Rick.

In the initially created WebHelp project, I honestly am not exactly sure how it was discerned that updating that whtbar.js file will render the previous and next topics searched useless in our .exe project that accesses the help from a tab. However, for about three years, I always revert back to that old version upon check in to SVN, and there's never been an issue.

For example, if I select the topic Dictionary and then go to Concepts and then to Roles, once I get to Roles, I'd like to be able to click the back arrow and go to Concepts. Once on Concepts, I could click the previous arrow to go to Dictionary or click the next arrow to go to the topic Roles.

Is auto-creating a browse sequence using TOC the best option to get topics to go to and from last one opened? I don't want the sequence to have a predetermined order. I just want the user to be able to go back or forard to a topic they were previously on.

I just quickly looked at both the old whtbar.js file and the new one just generated in a compile of a new WebHelp project and compared them - well, parts of the files. At first glance, I did not see difefrent settings. For example, they both say:

var goNext=null;
            var goPrev=null;

Not sure that is right. Thanks again.

Kevin

• 3. Re: Robohelp 7 HTML problems with whtbar.js and previous topics in WebHelp
              Style Council Level 1

Rick,

I did a doc comparison on the original old whtbar.js and the new one. I noticed two things.

The new one has two instances of else if (sType=="avnext") sections. The old one does not have this section. Both have (sType=="avprev") sections.

The old one has the line:

id=\"btnavprev\" class=\"btnavprev\" href=\"javascript:void(0);\" onclick=\"javascript:history.back(1);return false;\">";

The new one has the line:

id=\"btnavprev\" class=\"btnavprev\" href=\"javascript:void(0);\" onclick=\"goAvePrev();return false;\">";

So, there appears to be some previous and next differences, which is what I was expecting. For whatever it's worth, the original help project simply has an untitled browse sequence with no files added to the right, Browse Sequences pane in the Browsw Sequence Editor.

Thanks again.

Kevin

• 4. Re: Robohelp 7 HTML problems with whtbar.js and previous topics in WebHelp
                Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Kevin

Okay, here's the skinny.

First, I'll talk about the basic function of a Browse Sequence.

A Browse Sequence is nothing more than a defined list of topics. Very similar to links in a chain. The intent is that the user will work their way from the first topic in the sequence to the last in the order of the list. In the skin, if the first topic that is part of a sequence is being presented in the topic pane, the Previous button is disabled as there is nowhere to go "Back" to. It's the starting point. So only the Next button is available. Once you click the Next button, the next topic in the sequence is presented and both buttons are now enabled. (Assuming, of course, that there are at least three topics in the sequence.) Once the last topic in the sequence is presented, the Next button is then disabled as there are no further topics defined to visit. But the Back button is enabled allowing you to work your way the other direction in the chain.

In a skinned WebHelp and FlashHelp output with no special modifications, the buttons are only placed in that area if you have defined a Browse Sequence and if you have elected to present the Browse Sequence via the single source layout recipe.

Now there are many ways to step beyond RoboHelp and monkey with its assorted files to bend them to our whims. Long ago I discovered that you can coax these buttons to present, then modify some of the files so that the buttons use JavaScript to massage the history. So I was thinking that maybe by copying the modified javascript file, this had been done and that would fully explain the behavior.

What I'm now thinking is that in the earlier project where things appeared to work, there actually was a sequence defined. But in these projects where things seem broken, no sequence has been defined, hence the behavior.

Check the link below for more

On my RoboWizard site linked above, you may also freely download a file called "The Skinny on Skins", where I've detailed how to make the Previous and Next buttons behave like the Browser Previous and Next buttons.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 5. Re: Robohelp 7 HTML problems with whtbar.js and previous topics in WebHelp
                  Style Council Level 1

Rick,

Than you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for. You very well may have been the one who suggested I do this sort of .js file manipulation four years ago when I began that first WebHelp project at our company. The Change the function of the Browse Buttons... article is perfect. I have no idea how you discovered these in the first place, but I'm glad you did.

Thanks for all of your help.

Kevin