5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 6:37 AM by Szalam

Keylight Keying In

EnginerdGP

I have a  video where I'd like to key in a colour instead of keying out. Is that possible without keying out every other colour?

For example, a model is holding a blue object in front of a green screen. I'd like to remove the green background, and make just the blue object another colour by making it its own layer without masking.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Keylight Keying In
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your shot is that simple you could use the replace color effect.

If you actually need to pull a key then you just pull the greenscreen key, then pre-compose and pull the blue screen key.

You could also use the different display modes in Keylight to pull matte layers to be used as track mattes. It really depends on how complex your problem is. A screenshot would help a bunch.

• 2. Re: Keylight Keying In
            EnginerdGP Level 1

Thanks for the reply Rick,

Picture 1.jpg

Here is my latest test video. I'd like it to look something like this:

Picture 2.jpg

Only good. I can make the body black no problem, but getting the blue object to be a uniform colour is where I'm struggling.

What can you recommend for me?

• 3. Re: Keylight Keying In
              bogiesan Level 4

Try googling and searching Vimeo for Keylight tutorials; there are some great tips available. ONe that has saved my bacon several times is precomposing a shot and applying Keylight ot the comp instead of the footage. This allows manipulation upstream of the comp such as masking, extreme color correction, and flattening filters. Then you pass the precomp into yet another comp and using any of several techniques, you can bring the alpha information from previous comps or layers into you main sequence. Sounds more difficult that it really is.

Back in the olden days of shooting gilm for the creation of holdback passes, I had access to a fluorescent dye, probably carcinogenic, that we sprayed onto models and shot under hard UV light. The same technique is possible using image control and color correction filters.

• 4. Re: Keylight Keying In
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

It's good you shot test video.  I would recommend that you put a dull surface on the blue bottle rather than a shiny one.  Your work will become much easier.

• 5. Re: Keylight Keying In
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you use a matte paint as Dave suggested, that will help a bunch.

Anyway, take the footage you shot. Duplicate it. Key OUT the blue. Use that layer as a track matte (Use the alpha inverted mode) for a new solid layer that's the color you want.