6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 4:22 AM by JitterBugLouisiana

Can not open Premier

JitterBugLouisiana

I am a new user.  Just purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements 10.  I used Premier elements 10 for the first tim.  Was doing great, editing my daughter video and know the program will not open.  Any sugguestions.  I tried to uninstall the program and am getting a message that  it is running and I need to close  before I continue.  I do not see where it is running.  I have powerd down and back up again.  Need help please.

• 1. Re: Can not open Premier
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

To check what is running in Windows, go to Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), and look at the Processes Tab. You can sort by Image Name, by clicking on that column header. Do you see various Adobe programs running? Which ones?

For issues with PrE, look over this ARTICLE. It starts with a checklist of things to look into, and then follows with links to aid in troubleshooting.

From you description, the first two things that I would look into would be the installed video and audio driver, and update both. Next would be updating QT Player.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can not open Premier
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? Selecting project settings that match your source video is vital to a successful editing experience.

Also, what operating system are you using and how fast is your computer's processor?

• 3. Re: Can not open Premier
              JitterBugLouisiana Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

SDR-550  PANASONIC

At first it would not download on the setting I was picking.  Then I piced a FLIP setting and it worked.

Computer is Windows Vista.  Sometimes it fast and other times it does not respond.

The program will just close on its own.  Now I can not open Premier at all. 

It asked me to down load a camera program, which I did and now it will not open at all.  So, I tried to uninstall to re install.  But, I get a message that I can not uninstall because it is running. 

Another user suggested that I open TASK Manager and check on a TAB which I did.  And closed two ADOBE programs that were running.

I will try to uninstall later today.

Any other suggestions?

• 4. Re: Can not open Premier

Thank you so much. 

I will try and let you know how it turns out.

• 5. Re: Can not open Premier
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's not the best camcorder for shooting video to edit in Premiere Elements, unfortunately. It falls in the category of a point-and-shoot. The video is made to be shot and then uploaded directly to YouTube as is.

If you've got it to work with the the Flip project setting though, that's great! When you add the video to your timeline, is there a red line above the clips? Ideally you want a project setting such that when you add clips to the timeline, there is NO red line above the. Otherwise, whenver you see red lines above the clips you'll need to render (press Enter) so that the red lines turn green. If you don't the program will eventually become unstable, as you've seen.

If you haven't already, go to Windows Update and ensure you have ALL of the updates for your operating system -- including the non-critical updates. These often include important drivers and files you don't get with the auto updates. Particularly with Vista, this is very important.

Meantime, how fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive? It is possible your computer is overwhelmed by your video source.

• 6. Re: Can not open Premier

Yes, there is a red line.  I will try what you suggested this morning.  Thanks for your help.  I hope it works.