3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 8:03 AM by Ankit_Jain

Adobe Acrobat Reader X Crashes

Haligren

I initially posted this in the wrong forum (I derped and posted this in Forms. ^^;) So I'm posting this here again...

Hi there,

I'm having an issue with Adobe Acrobat Reader X. It seems to crash all the time whenever I try to open a .pdf online. They seem to open just fine when not embedded in a browser, but thing is, I can't get them to open by themselves, in Reader, because when I try to save the link, my computer will save it as a webpage and not as a .pdf file. (Although this could have something to do with my online course which is where I am trying to open files from.)

The page will open, briefly show itself, and then promptly crash. Many times an error message box will appear, but there will be nothing in it but a question mark and an OK button, as if Acrobat has no idea what's going on either. lol

I've tried updating Acrobat, uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing works. I really need this program to work as I won't be able to view any of my online school work without it.

Here are my computer's stats:

Dell XPS 8300i5

Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00 GHz

RAM: 8 gigs

System type: 64 bit

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6450

Thank you!

P.S. I've tried scouring the forums to see if I could find an answer to this but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place or I'm entering in the wrong information, but I haven't founda anything.

• 1. Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader X Crashes
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Could you please let me know the following details:

1. Which version of Adobe Reader are you using. You can get the same by clicking Help > About Adobe Reader

2. Which browser are you using to view the PDFs online

3. Also, since you are on a 64 bit system, please ensure that you are using the 32 bit version of the Internet Explorer.

Thanks

Ankit

• 2. Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader X Crashes
            Haligren Level 1

1. I'm using Adobe Reader X.

2. I'm using Firefox, but have also tried Internet Explorer, and I get the same thing.

3. Um, shouldn't I be using the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer if I have a 64 bit system? o.O Or was that a typo? :3 If so, then I am using the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer. And, naturally, Firefox doesn't have a 64 bit version, so it's just 32 bit.

• 3. Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader X Crashes
              Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Actually you need to run the 32 bit version of IE, since there are no separate plugins for a 64 bit version.

Could you also try manually deleting all the files/folders from the installation directory (it would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0 by default) EXCEPT for the "Setup Files" folder. Now try and repair the application from within the Control Panel (Programs and Features) and see if it resolves the issue.

In the meanwhile, you could try the following workaround to circumvent the browser crash.

1. Open Adobe Reader and goto Edit > Preferences

2. In the Internet Pane, uncheck the option for "Display PDF in browser"

3. Close all windows and try accessing any PDF in the browser. It will now ask you to save the file on your hard disk rather than opening it in the browser.

Thanks

Ankit