7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 5:21 AM by Peter Spier

Export module in Indesign fails to overprint black

red_aussie Level 1

Hi Everyone. I have a big issue that need help with. I have indesign files for printing that are exported to pdf for imposition. When I open the pdf in acrobat the text that is set to overprint only knocks out, irrespective of the settings I choose in making them. Now, the example: I make a yellow box on a page and type word 'overprint' over it. Indesign by default prints black to overprint (checked the preferences). To make sure it does overprint I duplicate the box and text and set the text in attribute panel to overprint. The page is exported to pdf: both files show that the black is knocking out. Now for the hardware and software: I have CS5.5 with the latest update, using OS-X 10.6.8 Intel core duo 2.26GHz, DDR3 ram and plenty of space. No, I have not installed any new software and no third party plugins. I have recreated the preferences file but no difference. Tried also to export as eps but the same result. I also have a Windows 7 laptop with the same CS5.5 version and this problem is not happening on the laptop, only on the mac. The export engine in InDesign is not working as it should be (the pdf extension if v7.5.2.3) and having a lot of issues getting work ready for printing. Does anyone have any suggestions, ...and how do I get Adobe to take notice of this issue? Much appreciated and thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Export module in Indesign fails to overprint black
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to Window>Output>Separations

And switch from off to Separations.

Turn off the Black plate

What does it show?

Can you post a screen shot of what is happening?

• 2. Re: Export module in Indesign fails to overprint black
            red_aussie Level 1

Eugene, in Acrobat the text shows as knock-out, irrespective of which settings I use in InDesign pdf export UI panel. Tried also exporting as eps and exactly the same result: black will not overpint. InDesign default if black always overprints unless you deliberatly change. One question in my mind is: does Indesign uses its own pdf creation engine or relies on Acrobat driver. Thanks for you input.

• 3. Re: Export module in Indesign fails to overprint black

I want to know how it looks in InDesign in the Separations Panel - can you check that please.

Have you added any transparency, from the Effects Panel?

Can you provide a sample file?

• 4. Re: Export module in Indesign fails to overprint black

Black in InDesign is set to Overprint at 100% and it should not Knockout.

It's very hard to diagnose the problem with little information. So I want to see how it's behaving in InDesign.

And it's very hard to know why it's knocking out in Acrobat - without knowing your PDF settings, although I can't think of a setting in creating a PDF that would change how the Black prints, as overprint or knockout?

• 5. Re: Export module in Indesign fails to overprint black
                  red_aussie Level 1

Sorry Eugene, I cannot access the macintosh computer at the moment. Here is late at night and the office is close now. I can tell you that if a print the same file to a lase printer as separation it is fine, so the issue is not actually with Indesign but the export plugin that either is overriding the defaults or some other setting that I cannot pinpoint at the moment. I will get the screen shot as soon I can. (By-the-way, the pdf setting I use are as simple as possible since the workflow we use at work doesn't warrant anything special: press quality, untagged, no compression and no color conversion)

• 6. Re: Export module in Indesign fails to overprint black

No reason I can think of that the PDF would have the Black at knockout.

You're definitely using the default Black swatch named [Black]?

Just tried there with your PDF settings, and it worked fine, the black overprinted no problem.

The only things I can think of is that the Black was not 100% tint.

or

It used a transparency from the effects - with isolate blending ticked

It's a total guess though, I'd have to see an example of the file.

If you can provide:

Example INDD file

Sample PDF

InDesign go to Adobe PDF Presets and Define... and SAVE the PDF preset and upload that too

That would be great.

• 7. Re: Export module in Indesign fails to overprint black
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

red_aussie wrote:

I have recreated the preferences file but no difference.

At least half the time someone says this it turns out they only dragged the InDesign Defaults (ore the folder containing it) to the trash. ID's prefs are a two-piece set of files, stored in two different folders, and you almost always need to to replace both halves, either by using the keyboard shortcut on startup or by manually removing both files. see Replace Your Preferences

If that doesn't do it, my guess would be your installation is damaged and I'd suggest you uninstall, runt he clean tool (Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool) and reinstall.