16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 4:21 PM by orderbs

Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing

orderbs Level 1

I have read a similar story to mine, but I still am slightly puzzled. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled this program... Still doesn't work. Is 4.5 giga-bytes enough? I heard from another that they bought a new video card, what is that? My memory is on my local disk (C). Please give me some pointers.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

5 gigabytes of free space on a C drive are not nearly enough to open this program, orderbs. In fact, it's barely enough to run Windows!

I'd recommend clearing off at least 20-30 gigs of free space from your C drive -- and make sure it's clean and defragmented too by using a program like Advanced System Care Free afterward. http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

You'll need even more space if you're editing video that's actually on your C drive.

The program itself only needs a few gigabytes of space to install. But to open and run a program this intensive, you need lots and lots of free, defragmented space for temp, scratch, paging and work files.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Steve on the amount of free-space, though actually double his rec. to 40- 60GB, but then come from a civil engineering background (a lifetime ago), so over "engineer" things.

For a general checklist of things to do, to run PrE most effectively, see this ARTICLE. It goes on to a series of links to help troubleshoot things, should the items on that checklist not get you running.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
              orderbs Level 1

my computer has a total of 37 GB's.

1) I put all my photos and videos on flashdrive

2) I uninstalled lots of unused programs.

3) I deleted useful applications , but I'm down to software that I don't know if its safe to delete.

I need assistance on what can I delete from my local Disk (C)

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing

37 gig should be enough space, after you've run Advanced System Care. At least you'll be able to run Premiere Elements, although you won't be able to do a lot of editing with adding another hard drive.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
                  VDOSurfer Level 3

Could you let us know what you mean by "keeps disappearing"? There are different solutions to different interpretations of that...

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As a test, I would Copy over a few of your Video files, and also some Still Images, to your interrnal HDD. Remove the flash drive, and reboot without it attached. Launch PrE. If it stays up, do a test Project, and use a few of those Assets. It would also be best if the Still Images are no larger than 2000 x 1500, if you are doing an HD Project, and 1000 x 750 if you are doing an SD Project.

Good luck, and let us know how that test goes, please,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
                      orderbs Level 1

After I click new project, there's a loading process. As soon as it gets to loading importerquicktime.prm the program stops loading, then acts as if I never clicked the button. Once I click it again, the program just dissappears as if I clicked close window.

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
                        orderbs Level 1

I downloaded that software and it has helped me to get 6.5 GBs of space free. the program still is having the same problem. Why is it that the program worked about a month straight, but now all of a sudden it just doesn't wanna work based on space?

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
                          orderbs Level 1

Okay, I apologize for not explaining the problem elaborately. The program doesn't disappear as I have the project open. It closes as soon as the Loading of programs get to Loading importerquicktime.prm BEFORE opening the new project.

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing

Are you able to clear 20-30 gigabytes of free space on that hard drive, as we've recommended?

And have you run Advanced System Care Free to clean off and optimize your drive?

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

You're pretty clearly suffering a resource problem, and it's not going to go away until your drive has enough free space and breathing room so that the program can open.

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
                              the marketing guy

orderbs, I think your are being thrown waaaaaay off track with all the hard drive space issues. Advice: don't delete any more files! If PrE is installed, and you have enough RAM (32GB), it should at least open, and not hang up at "Loading ImporterQuicktime.prm." Good grief-- I can't believe you're being told you don't have enough hard drive space! Yes, you will need that for storing your files-- and lots of it-- but not to just open the application once it's installed!

My computer does the same thing, and we're not the only ones. THere is another discussion thread  re the loading problem related to QUicktime, but don't get your hopes up-- nobody seems to have an answer.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, I believe that you read incorrectly. The OP does NOT have 32GB of RAM. Not sure where you got that idea, as I could not find any reference to the installed RAM in the OP's system - only references to limited HDD space. RAM is NOT HDD space.

When PrE Opens, it needs a certain amount of HDD space for the working files. This is not RAM, but is HDD space. Also, if one does not have a lot of physically installed RAM, then Windows Virtual Memory (Page File), will come into play. This does require HDD space, and if the user has left the Page File management at the default of Dynamic Management, it will expand, as anything is done.

With a properly designed, and tuned system, the vast majority of users have a wonderful experience.

Most issues are system-centric. Next, come the Assets, themselves, and finally a bad choice of the Project Preset.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

It might be time for you to list the full specs. of your computer - the CPU, the GPU, the installed RAM, the I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, their capacity, speed, the defragmented free-space, the controller type(s), and how you have them allocated.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
                                    the marketing guy Level 1

My mistake on the 32 GB-- yikes-- that should be 2 GB RAM. (What is that on the box.. 1-pt font?)

But my basic point is valid. THe problem is the program is hanging up when LOADING. Specifically, "It closes as soon as the Loading of programs get to Loading importerquicktime.prm BEFORE opening the new project." I would say that is not a issue of Hard Drive space at that point, especially since he is opening a NEW project.

I had the same problem. WHat seems to have worked for me was to update my Intel graphics media accelerator driver. Ironically, I think it was you, Bill, who made that suggestion on another discussion listing. THAT was genius advice! And, thanks!

• 15. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the video (and audio) driver is VERY important to getting PrE to load, and to also run. It relies more heavily on, and interfaces with the video driver, much more than almost any program on a computer, short maybe of extreme gaming, CAD and real 3D work. Most general computer programs can get by with an outdated video driver, and the user will never see a problem - until they crank up a program, like PrE, PrPro, a CAD program, or many of the current games, especially those with advanced graphics.

Now, PrE also creates quite a few "working files," and if there is not adequate HDD real estate for those, the program can crash, or hang.

Many recommend 20 - 40GB's of defragmented free-space just for those working files, but being an old engineer, I like a bigger "safety factor," and recommend 30 -60GB's of defragmented free-space. Also, and especially with limited RAM, Windows needs free space for its Virtual Memory/Page File. This can bring programs to their knees, as well. Personally, with my video-editing machines, I like to first setup a Page File that is about 2.5x my installed RAM (size is less important with a 64-bit OS and much more RAM), that is statically managed, i.e. I set the size. I do this before I install ANY programs, other than the OS. The reason for this is that I want that Page File created on the HDD at bootup near the edge of the platters for fastest access, and also in the same exact spot, each time that I boot up. After I have setup that Page File, I then begin installing programs, and using the computer.

If one leaves the default Page File management setting - Dynamically Managed, as Windows anticipates the usage/size, if one does not have enough free-space, Windows can crash. When starting a program, like PrE, Windows will know that it will need a pretty large Page File, and might get into trouble. Also, the dynamic management takes time, plus CPU cycles, as Windows must try and calculate the size on the fly. Still, HDD real estate can come into play.

Last, there is the performance of the HDD. At about 70% of capacity, performance goes down. The closer to capacity, the more the performance degrades. Also, as capacity is reached, the chance of a catastrophic failure increases.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Adobe Premiere Element 10 keeps disappearing
                                        orderbs Level 1

Thanks everyone for the support. I installed premiere element 10 on another computer with 30+ GB and it opens. But, there is another delay now that is working. Will open a new discussion for that.

-More Orderbs please