9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 6:15 AM by Peter Spier

Indents & Tabs

Muppet Mark Level 5

I have an odd issue with some text frames throughout a job that I have updated straight from CS2 to CS5… Is this a known issue I can't find anything using any obvious search terms… Oddly enough moving the right hand edge of text frame causes it to correct itself then I can move the box bounds back without issue… Just want to know the cause… I can probably make a script to fix this if it's going to happen when updating all my older files…? Had to sort this manually for the current job but thats a PITA… If you need a snapshot or a file sample I think I kept one… somewhere!!! TVM

• 1. Re: Indents & Tabs
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The text engine would have been updated for CS3, CS4 and CS5 and CS5.5 - so there could be discrepencies in how text is handled in later versions.

You might have better success opening the CS2 file in CS2 and exporting it to an INX. Then open the INX file in the newer version of the software.

Although - it could be an entirely different issue.

If you can supply sample files and step by step to recreate the issue too, that would be great.

• 2. Re: Indents & Tabs
            Muppet Mark Level 5

Thanks Eugene, I'll go look for some samples in my files… This has happened consistently over a 500 catalogue around 30 documents in all… Not all pages thankfully just where tabs sit on top of indents… I told the boss that the issue was probablly the result of a text engine change… I just want to know how best to proceed with other jobs where I may get this again…

Here is a snapshot of a text frame not behaving properly… The first tabs are not pushing the text to where I would expect them… There are graphical icons in another layer above that sit down the key…

Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 12.02.28.png

Then the very same box which I can move either right or left hand bounds then snap back in to my column guides?

I will have to delete all the junk out of a file to make a sample as it now appears to me that cut & paste also fixes the dammed box…?

Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 12.06.50.png

• 3. Re: Indents & Tabs

The only other thing I can think of is if you

1) Export the CS2 files to INX and open them

or

2) Export the CS5 files to IDML and open them

See if either of those fix the issues?

• 4. Re: Indents & Tabs
                Muppet Mark Level 5

Eugene, I no longer have a box with CS2 on it… Moved to a new mac with CS5 so Im opening and doing a 'save as' with the [converted] document… After a little experimenting it would appear that option 2 works… At least I only have to jump thru the one extra save hoop… ( thats NOT too bad ) IDML constructs an NEW document so it should 'recompose' the text correctly I suppose? The other methods force the text to 'recompose'… I have my route at least… TVM

• 5. Re: Indents & Tabs
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Correct. When you open an older file, InDesign will maintain the text flow until you work on a story. By going to INX/IDML you force that right out of the gate through the entire document.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Indents & Tabs
                    Muppet Mark Level 5

Bob, I will put all my older jobs on pre-wash… At least I don't have to make a script for this now… result.

• 7. Re: Indents & Tabs

You could make a script to open the folder of InDesign files and export to IDML - then reopen them and save as the same name to a different folder.

That would be cool.

• 8. Re: Indents & Tabs
                        Muppet Mark Level 5

I have played with exporting files to IDML from within Bridge as a background process… but that was for another purpose ( too slow )… It's worth re-considering for this fixer thou… there goes another weekend…

• 9. Re: Indents & Tabs
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You might want to try the Recompose All Stories command. Cmd + Opt + / on Mac, Ctrl + Alt + / on Windows.