2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 8:55 AM by houseofcakes

Split only ONE footnote?

houseofcakes

Hi,

I have a long document with a bunch of footnotes. All the footnotes are fairly short except for one which I would like to split to the next page. Is there any way to split just ONE footnote? I have tried the "split footnotes" option but it splits all of them and it also seems to mess up my line style for the footnotes that are split (even though the line rule settings in footnote options are set the same way). As well, if I change "Rule Above > First footnote in Column" to "Continued Footnotes" it keeps switching back to the "First Footnote in Column" selection.

I'm in ID5, Mac Lion.

TIA!

Karen

• 1. Re: Split only ONE footnote?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Unfortunately, Split Footnotes is a document-wide setting. (Every single footnote setting is, much to my dismay.)

You can try if this works: force every footnote to keep all text together by setting the Keep options in your footnote style to Keep All Lines Together, and Keep With Next to the highest number it accepts. Then you can apply local keep settings to the paragraphs of the super long note, switching off Keep All Together and set Keep With Next to 0 again.

Not sure that it'll work but worth trying.

As for

..  it also seems to mess up my line style for the footnotes that are split (even though the line rule settings in footnote options are set the same way).

in the Continued Footnotes section you can set the line style to be the same as for the start of the footnote. It will only be used when there is a split footnote, but it ought to work just as one would expect.

... As well, if I change "Rule Above > First footnote in Column" to "Continued Footnotes" it keeps switching back to the "First Footnote in Column" selection.

Uh. Does the dialog really jump back to the previous value if you change it in the drop down list? That sounds like an interface problem -- you might want to try to reset your preferences for this.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Split only ONE footnote?
            houseofcakes Level 1

Hi!

That worked! BRILLIANT. Millions of thank you thank you thank yous!

I did set the Keep All Lines Together and Keep With Next to 5 (highest value). Most of the footnotes are short.

I closed the doc and opened again and it seems like the Continued Footnotes options are "sticking." Thanks for the (obvious) tip--sometimes hard to tell if it's a software bug or it's me (mostly it's me).

Eternally grateful!