3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 7:41 AM by Claudiu Ursica

addChild or addElement? from swc to flex stage?

_willCrain Level 1

I usually just write applications as Actionscript projects. Now I trying to work with some of the newer flex components so I am working in a Flex Project.

No issues with the components really but I would like to know how to add a MovieClip from an assets.swc that I created in the Flash IDE to the stage of the flex app. This way I can use the flex components with my own custom MCs.

As a side question, how do i init a function as soon as the view loads. I tried adding an eventListener for the ADDED_TO_STAGE but that threw an error too.

I have a feeling that I am just missing the relationship of the stage and how to place on and call things to it.

Thanks in advance.

I was trying something simple like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<s:View xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"

actionBarVisible="true" fontSize="17" tabBarVisible="true" title="title">

<fx:Script>

<![CDATA[

private var alert:Alert;

protected function btnTester_clickHandler(event:MouseEvent):void

{

alert = new Alert();

alert.title.text = "TEST COMPLETE";

addChild(alert);

}

]]>

</fx:Script>

<s:Button id="btnTester" x="250" y="0" label="Button" click="btnTester_clickHandler(event)"/>

</s:View>

Results in:

Error: addChild() is not available in this class. Instead, use addElement() or modify the skin, if you have one.

at spark.components.supportClasses::SkinnableComponent/addChild()[E:\dev\4.y\frameworks\proj ects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\SkinnableComponent.as:1123]