15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 9:00 AM by bdelillo

Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage

bdelillo Level 1

I'm testing a workflow out in Premiere. We're working with ProRes 4444 Log-C files (1920x1080, 23.976 and 59.94fps). I'm also using a Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2 card out to an external display and audio monitors. My guess is to select something under the "Blackmagic Design" tab. Any and all help is appreciated.

And a bonus question, how do I change the timecode to read preroll (00:59:58:00 for example)?

• 1. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
          I.R

- Use BM preset with adequate frame size / frame rate (delivery frame size & frame rate of course)

- Timeline > Top right corner, drop down menu > Start Time > Enter 00:59:58:00 (I suppose that you want two seconds black and than start the program @ 1:00:00:00)

• 2. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
            bdelillo Level 1

Thanks. I have things set but nothing is showing up on my monitor. Everything is set to BM in Sequence Settings and in the general application Prefs. I hear this is a consistant issue with BM cards, so I'm hoping it's them and not Premiere.

And I figured the second question was an easy one. Still getting used to Premiere. Thanks for that answer as well.

• 3. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
              I.R Level 1

Actually people are usually complaining only about performance with i/o card. R U sure that you are using one of the BM presets, not standard Adobe presets?

• 4. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                bdelillo Level 1

I think I may have figured it out. I've created several sequences, all set up in various formats. The ALEXA footage only plays back to the monitor in 720p sequences. Anything higher and I get nothing. But, in FCP and After Effects I get 1080p playback. Smooth playback, too.

I tried 5 flavors of sequences: AVCHD, DVCPROHD, 10-bit YUV, 8-bit YUV, and H.264. Consistently, it will only play in the 720p flavors. Thoughts?

• 5. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                  I.R Level 1

bm.jpg

Strange..... so once again - you are using some of the Blackmagic Sequence Presets (see image above)?

• 6. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                    bdelillo Level 1

Exclusively. I can pick out the exact ones too if you want to test it yourself. The Video Previews are set to 1920x1080 as well, if that matters at all.

• 7. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since no one suggested it yet: Drag a clip to the "new" icon (creates a new sequence matching the clip). These are not always correct, but how do the settings compare to your best fit?

• 8. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                        bdelillo Level 1

Yes! Thanks to both of you I was able to figure it out.

Dragging the clips onto the "new" icon created the proper sequence settings, but completely bypassed the BM card. (When I went to Sequence Settings and checked Playback Settings, it came up with the Realtime Playback and Export window. It only lets me choose DV from there.) So, I manually created a new sequence, chose the same settings as when I went through the "new" icon, this time under the BM card and adjusted the resolution to suit the clips. And viola! Monitor playback in a 1080p sequence.

One thing I did overlook was frame rate. The clips are all 25fps as opposed to 24 or 23.976 which is what my sequences were set to. But, even with the wrong frame rate I had monitor playedback in the 720p sequences. Could that have been what held up the 1080p sequences?

• 9. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                          bdelillo Level 1

Alright so, problems again, this time with different footage. Trying to create a timeline with H.264s from a 5D and ProRes 422 footage, also from the 5D natively.

Every 1080p sequence I try doesn't go through to the monitor but 720p sequences output to the monitor fine. Plays back well, no dropped frames. I also cannot figure out how to re-route the audio to something other than the Blackmagic output. I've had an issue with my BM card where all the audio pops when being played through my mixer. The only way to get proper audio playback is via an analog set up, which means getting up, walking over to my monitors and fiddeling with the knobs in the back and manually adjusting for every shot I watch. I also have no headphone output. This issue is mostly BM's fault; their driver is messed up and it's an issue that I've been in contact with them about.

How do I get 1080p playback on my monitor using pretty standard sequence configurations, with the ability to change the audio output?

(Also worth noting, I've checked the general Premiere Preferences and played around with Audio Output Mapping and related settings and it's helped not at all.)

• 10. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                            Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are using a Blackmagic preset the audio will only come out of the BM breatout cable either as analogue or AES digital. The audio is also embeded in the SDI and HDMI streams.

Richard Knight

• 11. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                              bdelillo Level 1

So there is no way to output audio and video to different sources? Once it goes through the BM, that's it?

And when we were troubleshooting the BM audio pop issues, we tried to route all audio through the SDI and HDMI streams so we at least had volume control with the monitor remote. No luck, though. Analog output it the only way to get proper audio playback through my BM card, it's just also the most cumbersome way.

• 12. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                                lasvideo Level 4

Sounds like a lot of issues are related to the BM hardware. Have you spooken to their Tech Support?

• 13. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                                  bdelillo Level 1

Me and BM Tech Support are on a first name basis at this point. They have already sent me an RMA but it will take their engineers several weeks to release a new driver that may or may not fix the issue.

I'm aware a lot of this is on BM, but I was able to work around it with the way FCP was set up. Trying to see if Premiere will allow me the same freedoms before becoming more dedicated to it.

• 14. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                                    lasvideo Level 4

Trying to work around dysfunctional drivers will be a challenge. Best of luck to you!

• 15. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                                      Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are adjustments for the analogue and digital output levels in the BMD Desktop video program (mine is version 9)

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: Sequence Settings for Alexa Footage
                                        bdelillo Level 1

I didn't think of that. I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.