21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 9:19 AM by spitfireweb

'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages

Zarm_Rkeeg

Hi, all. InDesign newbie question, working in CS 5.5- I have a document comprised of numerous pages (about 20), each with different content, but an identical header and footer. I have created a master page of the header and assigned it to all of the pages, which works well. However, each of the pages is a different height due to the differing content, so currently I have to manually copy/paste and align the footer (which is a combination fo graphic and text boxes, as opposed to just a single object) across all 20 pages. Is there a way to create a footer (either as a master page, or something else) and have it aligned to the bottom of each page across the differing heights, instead of always having it in the exact same vertical position on the page that it is one the master? Thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

• 1. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What's the reasoning behind changing the page size becuae the content changes? Is this for screen, or print?

• 2. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
            Zarm_Rkeeg Level 1

In essence, the document is a design for a series of related webpages for a business registration website. They all have identical headers, and a standardized disclaimer and set of logos that must go along the bottom- but the content is different (and a different length) for each page, depending on whether it is a login page with a simple, small box, a list of meeting dates that is fairly lengthy, etc.; hence, the differing heights. This a process that we work through many times for many different clients- always based on the same template- thus we are looking for a way to cut down on workflow and time by not adjusting the page size, copy/pasting the footers (which themselves are a different height each time), and then manually positioning them every time- just having them aligned to the bottom of the page, and adjusting the page height to get the bottom-alligned footers in place.

• 3. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages

How about placing the footer as an inline anchored object in a text frame set to bottom aligned?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
                Zarm_Rkeeg Level 1

Allright- I selected the collection of footer objects and grouped them, copied/pasted them into a tex box, and inline-anchored them (again, an InDesign newbie, so there may be a quicker workflow for that) and used the align panel to align the content to the bottom of the page. This jumps it to where I want it on the page. This process (as I understand it) still leaves me with two problems (again, as I understand them).

Firstly, this still requires me to re-paste and re-align it to the bottom of the page manually for each page (since paste doesn't retain the alignment settings, and paste in place overrides it to the alignment with the actual height and position of the previous page), which saves a small amount of time, but not the kind of 'place it on every page universally' that a master page does, since there's still a manual re-aligning on each page instead of a single object that automatically aligns itself on each page; secondly, when the page height changes, the box doesn't stay aligned to the page, requiring trial-and-error repositioning, which negates the point; in that case, it would just be quicker to paste the footer in and align it to the content, then bring the page bottom up to meet it. (As opposed to the hoped-for 'continually alligned to bottom of page' which would adjust both the footer position AND the page height simply by adjusting the page height).

If either of these two difficulties make sense, are you aware of any way to overcome them (or any step in the above-described process that I'm simply get wrong, and which, done correctly, would accomplish these ends already?)

• 5. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages

I'm not sure, primarily as this is way outside my normal workflow, but I think there's a good possibility that enabling Layout Adjustment (Layout > Layout Adjustment) might solve the resizing problem, or even some option in the Page tool, if that's what you are uysing to change the page sizes. You might find you don't even need to use the inline if you get things set correctly in the Page tool.

The secret to getting text frames to resize using Layout Adjustment is to make sure they snap to the margin guides.

• 6. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
                    Zarm_Rkeeg Level 1

We're closing in- checking 'Enable Layout Adjustment' in the page tool does indeed cause the pasted layer to move with the new page bottom as it is adjusted- however, it unfortunately also has the side effect of increasing or decresing the spread of the content (whcih isn't supposed to change) along with the page width, vertically stretching or squashing it. If I can eliminate this and have the resize only affect the positioning of the footer anchored-object-text-frame, then I'd pretty much have the solution I'd need. Any ideas? I'm afraid I've never used Layout Adjustment before, either.

• 7. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages

The width of the content shouldn't be cahnging unless you are also changing the width of the page, but I would think in any case having the footer as an inline in a text frame would protect its size. Not sure whther you thought I'm unfamiliar with Layout Adjustment. I use it all the time. I don't use the Page tool.

• 8. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
                        Zarm_Rkeeg Level 1

I'm sorry, that was a terribly-timed typo; I should say that the content of the page (that is not part of the 'footer-anchored-object-text-frame') is being compressed or stretched vertically when I change the height of the page (not the width)- that content is being adjusted by the 'Enable Layout Adjustment' setting in addition to the desired repositioning of the text frame with the footer in it. The content of that footer is not changing, but the other content as a page that this text frame is serving as a footer to is changing, which is an undesired side effect.

• 9. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
                          Zarm_Rkeeg Level 1

I suppose the easiest way to put this is, as a new question, is there any way to select a set of objects or content to be exempt from Layout Adjustment, while leaving everything else (in this case, our footer text box) affected by it?

• 10. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages

Can you post screen caps of before and after? Use the camera icon onthe web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 11. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages

I have the sense that perhaps you didn't go to Layout > Layout Adjustment... and only turned it on through the Page tool. There are some options in the Layout Adjustment dialog that might be appropriate, including perhaps UNchecking Allow Graphics and Groups to Resize.

• 12. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
                                Zarm_Rkeeg Level 1

Here is a screenshot (with some product-specifics blurred out), before and after- the same happens in reverse if the apge is lengthened, the top content is stretched and space out to fill the new volume.

before_and_after.jpg

I did indeed try to work with the Layout Adjustment panel, but couldn't find any settings that would stop this process.

• 13. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages

Can't see frame edges or guides in your screen shots, but I suspect the header material is not grouped and that grouping it might solve the problem.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
                                    Zarm_Rkeeg Level 1

Yes and no. The header is a master page, and the content in the middle, once grouped does not crush- but it does still shift upwards, overlapping the header. Even so, I think that this is as close as we can get to the envisioned process, and I think it's shown us what we needed to see in terms of feasibility. Thank you so much for your help!

• 15. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages

I suspect that what you are trying to do is still outside the capabilities of InDesign as it exists today. You might find Muse to be a better choice.

• 16. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
                                        Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't followed this thread carefully - so I might be way off with this idea.

Can you set a paragraph style and call it Footer

Then in the Bullets and Numbering Section of the Style, select Numbering - delete the text that is there - then insert the text that appears in the footer.

Then inserting the footer is simply a matter of pressing Return - then assigning that Paragraph Style to that paragraph.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17210757/test.idml

There's a sample file.

• 17. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
                                          Zarm_Rkeeg Level 1

Unfortunately, I think now, as there are graphical elements and specific formatting included in the footer.    But thank you very much for the idea!

• 18. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
                                            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ah the plot thickens...

• 19. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
                                              Zarm_Rkeeg Level 1

This is rather a different topic altogether, but related to the original question that opened the thread... is there any way to apply multiple masters to a single page? I know that this is probably InDesign 101, and the answer seems to be 'no'- but is that, in any way, possible?

• 20. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages

Probably no. There are som scripts around that will apply a DIFFERENT mast to a page based on a style, but I don't think that will help you.

Seiously, though, I think you should look at Muse. ID is not really a web layout tool. Muse is, and the developers are largely former members of the ID team, so it has a very similar feel.

• 21. Re: 'Footer' that aligns to the bottom of pages
                                                  spitfireweb

I don't know about 5.5, but certainly with CS6 this is now possible, however in my limited experience to date you need to save each repeated piece of content as a seperate .indd file. You then place the file into your document and do the following:

1. Layout > Liquid Layout
                                                  2. Page Rule: Object-based
                                                  3. Select the 'Placed' object (e.g. footer)
                                                  4. On the Liquid Layout panel select where you want to pin it to e.g. pin a footer to the bottom
                                                  5. Henceforth the footer will remain pinned to the bottom

The downside is that you'll need to copy/paste the footer into each page - you can still update it in one place (the seperate indd file) but would have to delete all occurences.