8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2012 9:58 AM by bogiesan

Way to do edge rolls / transmissions?

AlanChalker

My brief searching didn't find an answer to this, so I apologize in advance if it's been discussed before.  There are various terms for what I'm trying to do.. essentially when an object moves off the left edge of the screen, I want it to immediately move on to the opposite right edge.  I've seen references to this being called edge rolling or edge transmission effects.  The reason for this is I'm going to be displaying the animation on a ring shaped video board like those found in many sports arenas, so as I 'scroll text' horizontally I need the left and right edges to match up or else there will be a weird discontinuity.  Perhaps one way is to have the motion path jump immediately from the one edge to the opposite?

• 1. Re: Way to do edge rolls / transmissions?
          bogiesan Level 4

Give the forum several more hours and one of the more powerful wonks will drop by with much better advice. Meantime: There is a filter called "offset" that will do this but it doesn't sound liek what you really want. Appying offset to a text layer is easy. Creating seamless backgrounds and motion graphics is far more complicated. Assuming the stadium has a system with a brand name on it, try contacting the manufacturer for some animatiokn guidelines that they know work or ask to get into contact with other successful artists who have used the systems.

I'm sure there's an expression to automate this wrap function.

• 2. Re: Way to do edge rolls / transmissions?
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

AlanChalker wrote:

I'm going to be displaying the animation on a ring shaped video board like those found in many sports arenas, so as I 'scroll text' horizontally I need the left and right edges to match up or else there will be a weird discontinuity.

If you haven't done this already, this is a must-do: get the delivery specifications from the arena.   I doubt it requires one monster-long animation to complete the circuit, but rather smaller segments of the animation.   This makes your task more challenging, but then you'll know the precise H&V resolution of the animation.

Like Bogesian, I think the Offset effect is just the ticket, based on your description.

• 3. Re: Way to do edge rolls / transmissions?
              AlanChalker Level 1

I appreciate the suggestions so far.  Regarding the specs from the arena, they are as stumped about it as I am.  The system was just installed in the fall with only a certain amount of training to the AV operators.  They can play uncompressed AVI files of a certain resolution equal to the full resolution of the ring (so yes, it is 'one monster long animation').  The playback hardware basically thinks the ring is just a standard (albeit very long) flat LED screen.

I'm trying to tackle this problem because when I requested them to create the animation (basically just a text message constantly scrolling around) they told me they couldn't because they didn't know how to do the edge transmission / roll.

• 4. Re: Way to do edge rolls / transmissions?
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

I say make the animation, and use the Offset effect. If you know the frame rate, you're home free.  I'd make this around-the-arena crawl at various horizontal speeds to see which one looks best.

I presume they can loop their animations, so you'd only need one circuit.  Start with the text centered in the comp, and make it come round again.  Offset's easy to use.

• 5. Re: Way to do edge rolls / transmissions?
                  bogiesan Level 4

AlanChalker wrote:

I appreciate the suggestions so far.  Regarding the specs from the arena, they are as stumped about it as I am.  The system was just installed in the fall with only a certain amount of training to the AV operators.  They can play uncompressed AVI files of a certain resolution equal to the full resolution of the ring (so yes, it is 'one monster long animation').  The playback hardware basically thinks the ring is just a standard (albeit very long) flat LED screen.

I'm trying to tackle this problem because when I requested them to create the animation (basically just a text message constantly scrolling around) they told me they couldn't because they didn't know how to do the edge transmission / roll.

You're probably on your own, then. But you should really try to contact the manufacturer. The computer will be a digital signage application that drives the output engine. However, it is unlikely the singage app sees a display that is, say, 100 pixels high by 60,000 pixels wide. If you can, please post the little information you have now. I'm pretty sure it's 1920 pixels wide, max, but ti's possible the output engine uses a scalar to seamlessly butt two horizontal work areas that are, say, 200 pixels high by 1920 wide and that are separated by a specific number of black or white pixels. I've heard of weirder stuff.

• 6. Re: Way to do edge rolls / transmissions?
                    AlanChalker Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've been told the resolution of the ring is 1536 pixels wide and 64 pixels tall, so it seems to me entirely feasible that it is indeed a single display app.  Note this is NOT a banner type element that goes around the outside edge of the seating, but rather a true ring (with a diameter of maybe 20 feet) hanging below the scoreboard over center court.   I'll try to find out more info tommorrow and try the Offset effect.

• 7. Re: Way to do edge rolls / transmissions?
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

Oof.  64 vertical pixels is not much.  Now all you need is their frame rate, and you can get busy.

• 8. Re: Way to do edge rolls / transmissions?
                        bogiesan Level 4

AlanChalker wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've been told the resolution of the ring is 1536 pixels wide and 64 pixels tall, so it seems to me entirely feasible that it is indeed a single display app.  Note this is NOT a banner type element that goes around the outside edge of the seating, but rather a true ring (with a diameter of maybe 20 feet) hanging below the scoreboard over center court.   I'll try to find out more info tommorrow and try the Offset effect.

A ring is the same as a banner, the only diffrence is the direction of the travel.

1536x64 pixels is easy. You really don't need offset. You just need to understand how the AVIs are built. It's far easier, most of the time, to animate a text layer, render it, bring it in and tell it to loop, or to copy it and stack the copies, than to use offset.