6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2012 4:31 AM by JEShort01

Dell XPS-17

ShadowKingpin

I just need a yes or no answer (Or a detailed one as to why if you must).  Will these specs handle Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 & After Effects?  I'm sorry if this is a repetitive question.

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM processor 2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.50 GHz

750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M 3GB graphics with Optimus

17.3" FHD (1080p) with 2.0MP HD Webcam

Tray Load Blu-ray® Triple Writer (reads and writes CDs, DVDs, BDs)

I know there are Movie Editing laptops, but the Dell XPS-17 is my price range.  What do you think?

• 1. Re: Dell XPS-17
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need a 2nd 7200rpm hard drive for your video files

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
          You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
          Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
          You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
          A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing
          You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything
          I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit
          Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing
          Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433 use USB externals for editing
          A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers
          http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 2. Re: Dell XPS-17
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

John I have three USB3 external WD My Books, and I see anything up to 140Mb/s with large files.

• 3. Re: Dell XPS-17
              Jim_Simon Level 8

The short answer is yes, it'll perform quite nicely.

But do take John's advice and plan on more hard drives.  Internal or eSATA are best.  USB 3.0 ain't too bad.

• 4. Re: Dell XPS-17