7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 2:09 PM by Stephen_Spider

Exporting to a mpeg file, or a DVD format ??? questions around this:)

norway_CS5 Level 1

Hi friends

May I ask a silly question?

I wonder, when i have finished editing the movie, audio, effects, and all of that. When I am VERY satisfied with the result ( do you know the feeling

OK, everything is on my timeline, and I press Ctrl + M. I choose MPEG2, and I get a file that I put on my desktop. From my desktop I burn it with Windows DVD Maker, choosing to make a dvd in this program.

Here is my question: Do I have to use another then PRpro for making an DVD formated DVD disk?

Is it the same to burn a DVD file on a plate, then burn a DVD formated plate?

And then, why cant prememiere do this?

I use the Que in media encoder, but that does not make any different...

Help me to understand this, please.

Best regards from Norway

Stig

• 1. Re: Exporting to a mpeg file, or a DVD format ??? questions around this:)
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Stig,

In Premiere, when you choose Export > Media, Media Encoder opens and you have format options.

"MPEG-2" is NOT compatible for DVD burning - you will need to specifically choose "MPEG-2 for DVD" so that the encoding parameters are correct and legal to meet the DVD specification.

Further, it is not enough to simply burn the resulting MPEG-2 file to a DVD as "Data". Yes, a computer will play it, but a DVD player will not recognize it as a "Video DVD". You need to use Encore or another "DVD Authoring" software that formats all the info correctly. The end result is a disc that contains a "VIDEO_TS" folder, inside of which are .VOB files, nothing that says MPEG-2 any longer.

So, you can export the proper MPEG-2 for DVD files from Media Encoder and then IMPORT those assets into Encore, or from within Premiere, you can choose "File > Dynamic Link > Encore" and the you will go straight into Encore and the encoding is done behind the scenes then.

But yes, you MUST use Adobe Encore (or similar) to get a functioning DVD disc.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 2. Re: Exporting to a mpeg file, or a DVD format ??? questions around this:)
            norway_CS5 Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me so fast, and knowing exactly what I ask for .

So what I have learned is:  Windows DVD maker is a program that does the same thing as encore, but of course a smaller program.I have made menues in encore, but I did not know that it also made proper DVD files. Is it easyer from DVDmaker (if no chapter)? (it took me about 6-7 hours burning in W DVDmaker for 1 hours movie)

One more thing, please. I also try to burn from PRpro using the "Match the sequens setting" button. ( I use an AVCHD 1080i setting, square pixel, Frame size: 1920 x 1080) Is this compatible with DVD burning?

Is it right to choose this setting when burning? The reason I choose "Match the sequens setting", is because I get a larger file (twice as big), then in MPEG mode. I am then thinking... bigger file, better picture quality on TV. (?)

When I sit here now, I try to make dynemic link to encore. It is ok, but Encore tells me that the Transcode settings are 720X 480 (in new project window in startup encore). This is not an HD setting, and is not an 1920 x 1080 like I have in premiere Pro.

Hope you will help me again.

Best regards

Stig

• 3. Re: Exporting to a mpeg file, or a DVD format ??? questions around this:)
              Harm Millaard Level 7

DVD is SD with 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL). Nothing else. If you want 1920 x 1080 resolution, author to BRD.

• 4. Re: Exporting to a mpeg file, or a DVD format ??? questions around this:)
                Stephen_Spider Level 3

"MPEG-2" is NOT compatible for DVD burning - you will need to specifically choose "MPEG-2 for DVD" so that the encoding parameters are correct and legal to meet the DVD specification."

I haven't found this to be the case. I have many MPEG2 presets that work with simple burnig software without re-encoding.

• 5. Re: Exporting to a mpeg file, or a DVD format ??? questions around this:)
                  SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for adding your two cents, but just confusing the matter for Stig. Don't ecourage him ;-)

Yes, it may be possible to configure an MPEG-2 encode so that it does meet MPEG-2 specs for DVD, but in general, one should start with a proper "MPEG-2 for DVD" preset unless he/she is an encoding expert. It is also possible that the DVD burning software is transcoding the supplied MPEG-2 file into a correct MPEG-2 file before burning...just as it would for an .avi source clip that of course is not DVD-compliant.

Jeff

• 6. Re: Exporting to a mpeg file, or a DVD format ??? questions around this:)
                    norway_CS5 Level 1

Dear Sir

Thanks for helping me here. I got the answer about MPEG2, and MPEG2 for DVD. That's good.

Stig

• 7. Re: Exporting to a mpeg file, or a DVD format ??? questions around this:)
                      Stephen_Spider Level 3

Yes . . that's why I added the "without re-encoding part".

Best of luck and happy editing.