29 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2017 4:09 AM by aarongregg

Fonts seem to install, but don't...

Hurryup_Nwait

Hi folks! I'm using inDesign CS5 on a windows 7 machine.

I got a bunch of truetype and opentype fonts from another designer who runs on a Mac.

I install the fonts and they appear to install though they don't actually appear in the fonts folder.-- (when I try it again, the machine says the fonts are already installed, do I want to copy over)

When I open inDesign, I get the missing fonts error. But then I can go through and manually install them succeessfully without problem, until I shut down and restart my computer.

Then the font error comes up, and I have to re-install and manually connect the fonts all over again.

What's going on? Is it some problem between mac/pc?

best regards

H

• 1. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hurryup_Nwait wrote:

I got a bunch of truetype and opentype fonts from another designer who runs on a Mac.

Opentype fonts should work fine, but Mac flavored TT fonts are useless on PC. You can tell if you have a Mac format font by looking at the file size. If it's 0k, you can't use it.

• 2. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
            Hurryup_Nwait Level 1

Hi Peter - I gathered that about the mac TT fonts, but neither of the types work properly. That's what seems weird about it.FuturaStdBold, for example.

Any ideas? I got the fonts via a zipped file, I wonder if somehow they were corrupted to some extent, at least in their ability to go from mac to windows?

Generally I stay away from swapping files between OSs for that reason, but can't avoid it here.

• 3. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...

What's the full font name, and what file size does Explorer report?

• 4. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                Hurryup_Nwait Level 1

FuturaStd-Bold

OpenType font file (.otf)

26.2 KB

• 5. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That is the exact size and file name that I see here for that font. How are you installing them?

Bob

• 6. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                    Hurryup_Nwait Level 1

Hi Bob, I've tried two things, on the second option got me any results.

1 - copying/pasting the fonts from the folder I unzipped on my desktop to each of the below two folders, which live at /indesign/Adobe indesign CS5/Payloads/

AdobeFontsRecommended-mul

AdobeFontsRequired-mul

2 - selecting the fonts from their own folder on my desktop, right-clicking and selecting "Install". That worked to get them installed for the time being, but that's what doesn't stick after I restart my machine.

• 7. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The second one is the proper procedure but I have no idea why it’s not “sticking.”

Try copying them to the fonts folder in the InDesign application folder.

Bob

• 8. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...

Is the file looking for precisely that name? It seems pretty clear that ID knows the font is installed if you can select it in Find Font. Perhaps you have it in more than one location? That can cause strange things to happen.

• 9. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...

You might also want to delete all adobefnt**.lst files where ** is a two-digit number.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                            Hurryup_Nwait Level 1

Hi folks... looking at both your ideas, I'm noticing that my indesign application is installed in  c:/users/me/  folder instead of in c:/program files/

Maybe this is part of the problem?

If so, is there a way to move it? I installed with a key code after using the trial edition, I just used default settings for installation.

Beyond that I don't have a folder in indesign or adobe simply called Fonts, just the two I mentioned above. (AdobeFontsRecommended-mul and AdobeFontsRequired-mul)

I'll try looking for duplicates, maybe that is part of the trouble as well.

• 11. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...

32 or 64 -bit windows?

• 13. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...

I'd uninstall, runt he clean script (Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool) and reinstall in the correct folder, which would be Program Files (X86), which should happen automatically.

• 14. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                                  Hurryup_Nwait Level 1

Hmm... didn't find ANY adobefnt files -- but did find another copy of a few of the fonts, which I deleted. I'm still getting the pink highlight, but in Paragraph styles it doesn't seem to indicate there are any problems (no + sign). Maybe I'm part of the way there?

• 15. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...

Hurryup_Nwait wrote:

Hmm... didn't find ANY adobefnt files

That's nearly impossible to believe. My system is littered with them, and every Adobe application uses one, as far as I know. They get rebuilt automatically when you restart a program after deleting them. Did you let Windows do the search? Only delete those with two digits at the end of the name.

Not showing the plus sign after a paragraph style name could simply mean that there is a character style applied to change the format. Character styles are not considered overrides.

Also, it isn't really clear from your earlier posts if you were repalcing the font using Find Font, and if you were, did you check the box to redefine styles and "change all"?

• 16. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                                      Hurryup_Nwait Level 1

Hi Peter - I let windows search (simply using the search function accessable from the start menu) and searched on adobefnt, also tried adobefnt1, adobefnt2, and so on. No results. Also tried searching for .lst and even adobefnt** and "adobefont" in case of typo -- Am I misinterpreting something? 

regards

Erik

• 17. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...

Perhaps it's WHERE you are searching. By default, at least on my system, the search wants to start in Libraries, which is pretty useless for most things you really need to search for.

Search "Computer" for adobefnt*.lst and see what pops up. I have 114 in various locations.

• 18. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                                          Hurryup_Nwait Level 1

ah! that brought up a handful. (I alwasy thought that search was across the whole machine!)

So I have a bunch that are called AdobeFnt10.lst -- I should delete all of those, correct? (and NOT AdobeFontC_maps, AdobeFont_CommonFonts or AdobeFont_OSFonts)

• 19. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...

Right. Delete only the ones with two digits at the end. I think ID uses adobefnt13.lst, but it's OK to delete all of them as they get rebuilt as soon as they're needed again, and if you're having trouble in one app you may have trouble in all of them.

• 20. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                                              Hurryup_Nwait Level 1

Those are deleted and I restarted the computer, which is when the fonts usually detach themselves.

I'm still coming up with the usual broken fonts.

• 21. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...

Can you show us a screen grab of the Find Font dialog, and the Windows Fonts folder shwing that they are installed, please?

• 22. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                                                  Hurryup_Nwait Level 1

You bet -- here is the sequence of Find Font actions:

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

and then here's the fonts installed. Note the duplicates -- these turned up again when I tried reinstalling... I can easily delete the extra folder but yesterday it didn't seem to affect the success of the fonts installing.

screen4-fontsinstalled.jpg

• 23. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...

These are distinctly different fonts, I think. Notice that the font names ID is looking for are three words, while the fonts in your search results have a single word name with a hyphen before the weight. Either it is a different font, or ID is looing at a differnt internal name field on different machines.

Also, the font is not installed in Windows, or in one one of the Adobe font folders, so there is no way ID can find it. It seems to be located in two different folders in your user profile that appear to be related to an HP printer.

• 24. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                                                      Hurryup_Nwait Level 1

This is great info Peter, I'll talk to the designer and get it straighened out. (The "HP" path is because I'm working on a book for HP)

thanks very much for your help and patience!

• 25. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                                                        GoingSolo369

I am having the same type problem, only I do not believe the fonts came from as Mac.  As far as I know they are Windows fonts that appear to install in Windows/Fonts.  But, they do now show up in InDesign.  Any fixes?

• 26. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...

Which particular fonts? You have another thread going that mentions Arial Narrow, and there is a known issue withthat and one or two other fonts supplied by Microsoft that have an internal error in the font name.

• 27. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                                                            CreeDeaux Level 1

This is an old topic but it comes up on google searches a lot, and I can see the whole issue (and fix) is not completely explained. So I thought I'd sign in and try to do that. Sorry, this reply is really long, but I think it clears up pretty much ALL windows font-related issues like this. Problems like:

• the font is in the folder, but not available in word or adobe Indesign or whatever

• the font says it's already installed, but it's not

• you say "yes, replace the installed font" but still don't see it showing up anywhere

• you have a ton of duplicated files in the windows font folder, ending in _0, or _1, etc.

• windows shows some members of a font family but not all of them

• the installed version of the font is different from some alternate version you're trying to install.

What I figured out is this - when you install a new font, windows copies the font file to the windows font folder, and at the same time updates a list of available fonts in the windows registry.

This list of fonts is important. If a font exists in the font folder, but the registry list didn't get updated... then you won't see the font in your applications.

If the font doesn't exist in the windows font folder, but exists in the registry list, windows thinks it's installed. Even if it's not working anywhere, even if it's been moved or deleted from the windows font folder, windows considers it "installed" because it's on this list.

And if you try to install a font that isn't working, but it's on that list... you get that annoying popup error "this font is already installed, do you wish to replace it?"

If the list has the font, but the list has incorrect info about the font's file name... like the list thinks it's called "font1.ttf" but the actual font file is called "font2.otf"... you can't use the font.

Also, the windows font folder gives you a weird specialized view of your files, which looks different from other folders. The actual filenames are replaced with the font name, so instead of seeing "times_0.ttf" you see "Times New Roman Regular". The listed fonts can act like "folders" that you can double click to see the full font family within. This 'special' font folder view is controlled by this hidden registry list. So let's say gotham-bold.ttf is in the windows font folder, but it's not in the registry list... gotham bold will NOT show in that special view of the font folder either. It's actually there in C:\windows\fonts\ , but you can't see it. And if you right click gotham-bold.ttf (from any folder) and choose install, you'll get that annoying error about it already being installed. Worse, even if you say "yes, replace it"... you still might not see the font appear in the folder.

That's how you end up with a ton of duplicate font files with names like font.ttf, font_0.ttf, font_1.ttf, whatever_0.otf, etc. If you are prompted to reinstall the font, and choose yes... windows won't overwrite the file, just create a renamed copy. So you might end up with 2-5 copies of the same font in your windows font folder, and these separately installed files can get listed twice in the registry too.

Anyway at this point someone's probably thinking "that's great but how do I fix it?"... here's the fix, if you want to install a specific font but keep having trouble getting it to show up and work

1. Open up an explorer window (e.g. by pressing the windows key + E) and at the top, click in the address bar and paste this: \\localhost\c$\Windows\Fonts ...this gives you a true, normal view of the windows font folder, where you see a complete list of the files within your windows font folder, with their actual filenames (e.g. "times.ttf"). Every variation is listed by its filename too, so times italic will be in there as maybe "times_it.ttf" and not combined with (or hidden by) other font names. You don't see the convenient previews and full font names, but you DO see a true, accurate list of your files without the registry list screwing things up by hiding some of them.

2. Click any font inside the folder, ctrl+A, ctrl+C to copy every font to the clipboard. Then make a new folder (let's call it fontbackup) and ctrl+V to paste all those font files into a backup folder. Now close the backup folder. That's important because you don't want to get the two folders confused.

3. Keep the original font folder open. Run regedit. If you're unsure about how to do that, I'll let you google that and see all the scary warnings about how you might break the computer if you're not careful. Within regedit, navigate to this "folder": HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

**note, that's not microsoft\windows, it's microsoft\windows NT\ ....the folder (actually called a key) should definitely be there.

Once you click it, you should see a bunch of fonts listed on the right. Look for the font that's giving you trouble, click that item in the list (the "list" is actually a bunch of separate registry items called "values", one value per line) and tap delete on the keyboard. Be careful doing this, make sure it's the font you want to fix, not some other font with a similar name. It'll ask you to confirm deletion, say yes. Note it might be in the registry multiple times, so delete multiple values if necessary.

4. Go back to your font folder (make sure it's the "true view" of the font folder, as described in step 1). Find the file associated with your problem font. Note that sometimes the filenames are a little cryptic, like "Book Antiqua Bold Italic" might be called "ANTQUABI.TTF". You can always double click a file to see a preview and confirm it's the font you're looking for. You want to remove that font from the windows font folder completely, including any copies. So if you're removing Cooper Black, be sure to get cooperbk.ttf, cooperbk.otf, cooperbk_0.ttf, cooperbk_1.ttf, and so on. By "remove" I mean delete, which should be safe if you made a backup in step 2. If you're the cautious type though, you could also ctrl+X to cut a font from the folder, and then ctrl+V to paste it somewhere else, like your desktop.

5. Now that the font is removed in the registry and from your windows font folder, you can install it "fresh" in a way that won't give errors or problems. Find the font file and install it in the usual way (I like right click --> install). If you see a warning about "do you want to overwrite the existing font" that means you screwed up somewhere in step 3 or 4 and didn't remove the font from either the registry list, or the windows font folder. If you see no warning at all though, everything probably worked fine and you can start using the font immediately in Word, Photoshop, etc.

6. But even so, reboot just to be safe.

Optional but recommended - you can search for and delete a bunch of duplicates. This may slightly help with performance but mostly it's just to keep things tidy. The downside is that if you're careless or unlucky you might delete a windows system font. To be honest though I've actually done that, and it wasn't impossible to recover from. Still, it's a pain, so be careful.

What I did was open an explorer window, go to \\localhost\c$\Windows\Fonts, and typed this into the search box at the top right: *_0.ttf (find all files ending in _0.ttf) ...after finding all those results, I just highlighted all of them and deleted them (actually, I moved them to a backup folder to be safe). Then I repeated the process by doing additional searches... one for *_1.ttf, another for *_2.ttf, and so on.

You should also do the searches for opentype font files, so *_0.otf, *_1.otf, etc. And you may have duplicated postscript fonts too, which have filenames like *_0.pfb.

Stick to just those filetypes, other font filetypes are likely to be system fonts. Like some critical windows fonts are just called whatever.fon. So don't delete any FON files.

Once the duplicate files are gone from the font folder, you also need to nuke them from that registry list. So you just go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts and skim over it for any filenames (the data on the right) that end in _0, _1, _2, etc. ...then you delete those items from the list. Again, don't delete any system fonts like arial, times new roman, MS-anything, or any file named something.FON.

At this point, the only fonts that should exist in the windows font folders are originals (i.e. you should see whatever.ttf, but not whatever_2.ttf) and the registry should only have entries for those originals (so the registry list might have "Whatever Font" on the left, and on the right, it 'points' to the file "whatever.ttf". If it incorrectly points to whatever_2.ttf, you can just double click that item, and retype the name properly in the data box that pops up). If a font is missing from the registry list, you just need to right click and install it, then refresh that list. But don't do so until you're sure it's NOT in the windows font folder.

This has solved all of my font problems so far, and vastly reduced clutter. Hope this helps others.

3 people found this helpful
                                                            • 28. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                                                              ankafromthatroom

Hi,

You described my problem exactly, I've followed your instruction and cleaned up after the failed installs and was quite hopeful.

Sadly when I installed the fonts again, they again got scrambled and out of family of 36 I can use only 6!

But both registry and the \\localhost\c$\Windows\Fonts seem to contain all the right files and names, only when I go to Illustrator or even to the normal view of the Font folder I again find only 6 out of 36!

Do you have any advise what to do to avoid it?

(I know the font itself is fine as I successfully installed and used it at home on Windows7, but at work, much better machine with Windows 10 just keep messing it up).

Many thanks

• 29. Re: Fonts seem to install, but don't...
                                                                aarongregg

You are a saviour, thanks so much. I've been tearing my hair out over this since starting where I'm at now, on a PC previously used by someone else. According to the registry, the troublesome fonts were located in a folder that my account no longer has access to (despite having admin permissions). Removed the entries in \\localhost\c$\Windows\Fonts, and the accompanying registry entries, then installed the fonts and restarted.

Thanks again. Will have to do this on a font by font basis but at least for now all's good again.