6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 10:07 AM by twriterext

Three Problems

twriterext

I have InDesign CS3 (v. 5.0.4) installed on a Dell Latitude E6520 with i5 processor, 8 GB RAM,  Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1.

All of a sudden, I have encountered 3 problems:

1.  I created a paragraph style called Article Title:  Palatino Linotype 18 pt, bold, evertything else standard.  The 1st time I applied it, no problem.  Thereafter, when I try to apply it, all I get is a change in color, but the point size and bold are not applied.  When I check the style definition, it is correct.  I tried trashing the preferences and starting over - but same problem.  I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.

2.  The color problem also has me confused.  I added "Blue" (RGB, 0 RED, 0 Green, 255 Blue) to the swatches, and now any time I enter text (copy/paste, place or type), the text is blue.  I have to select the text and change the color.  It is as if this swatch is a default.  I can't figure out how to fix that.

3.  I have 2 layers:  Text and Graphics.  In the past I could add a Graphics layer on top of the Text layer, send the Text layer to the back, and switch between the 2 without difficulty.  Now, when I try that (click on Text object), the "Arrange" menu only shows "Bring to Front" or "Bring Forward."  In order to select the Graphics object, I have to click on the Text object, then use the Select/Next Object Below.  When the Graphics object is selected, the Arrange menu is grayed out.  I can't figure out how to fix that either.

I have been using this version of InDesign for several years without problems.  I don't understand why I have suddenley encountered these problems.

I even tried building a new document from scratch (after trashing those preferences) without success.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Three Problems
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Problem 1: you probably created a character style, and it's selected as the default. With nothing selected, go to the character styles panel and select none to change that. Select the paragraphs that have the style apllied in error and Alt + Shift clcik the paragraph style name to remove local overrides and character styles.

Problem 2: Probably essentially the same problem. Your default text color is set to blue. Deselct all text, then click the "T" button inthe swatches panel to affect text and set the correct default color.

The "arrange" menu commands only work per layer. If all you see is send forward or to front, that probably means the object is already at the back of the stack on that layer. Stacking works per layer, all objects on a higher layer are in front of all objecst on a lower layer, so you cannot sned to back to move a top layer object behind a lower layer object.

• 2. Re: Three Problems
            twriterext Level 1

Thank you for your help.  I should have remembered what to do - I must have had a "short circuit" on my brain,  just couldn't find the answer in the Help file.  The keyboard shortcut you described did not work, but I eventually figured out the correct keystrokes to solve the problem.

And speaking of Help file, your answer on layers was the clue I needed.  I went back to the Help file on creating layers and realized that I need to create the Graphics layer on top of the Text layer to duplicate past behavior.  I did not remember doing that.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Three Problems

As a general rule it is best to put text above graphics in the stacking order whenever possible. This minimizes the interaction of transparency with text objects and reduces the probability of text being outlined or rasterized on output.

• 4. Re: Three Problems
                twriterext Level 1

Thanks for your advice.  It is clear that I have a lot of "homework" to do regarding layers.  At the moment, I cannot get the graphics to move as I want them if they are are not on the top layer.   I need to study this issue more.

• 5. Re: Three Problems

You can select down through a stack of objects by holding the Cmd (Ctrl on windows) key and clicking repeatedly. Also, since CS5 you can select or lock individual objects directly from the Layers panel. If you need to move something on a low-level layer it is sometimes easiet to simply lock or hide entire layers above what you are trying to select.

• 6. Re: Three Problems
                    twriterext Level 1

Thank you.

I will experiment with the information you provided.